Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Should I stay or should I go now...

Should I stay or should I go now...

Old Jun 9th 2008, 4:11 pm
itchy feet again!

Jay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Should I stay or should I go now...

Originally Posted by gingerliu
The thought of moving back and forth doesn't appeal to me. I am single and have no ties, so my family and nieces are everything to me and miss not being part of their weekly lives. I'm also worried that if I move back, I'll miss all the good things of Los Angeles. But I am incredibly lonely, despite friends. I think I would be stronger with my base in England -the north or London and then just travelling for work. I am lazy and I do like the sun here in California and I like how friendly everyone is. I didn't like working in London because you get treated like crap -your boss swears at you, etc. In America, your boss hugs you. I'm afraid if I leave going home for too long that it will be too late to go back. We are alll brave people for living in a foreign country. I did it without thinking -young and stupid -no plan. I have lots of opportunities in LA which I won't have in England. Everyone gets a go here. I will probably go home, have my base near my family and then work abroad again. That's a good plan. It's too late for my own family or for me to buy a house, so I may as well work and travel.
From what you say it seems as though you're prepared to stay where you are because it suits your lifestyle, and your laidback approach to life, which you're not going to get if you went back to the UK. Life, unfortunately is often about compromises, but it seems as though you don't want to compromise on anything....so stay where you are and enjoy what you have. I think you need to decide just what is more important to you.......lifestyle or family.
Old Jun 9th 2008, 4:29 pm
Forum Regular

gingerliu has much to be proud ofgingerliu has much to be proud ofgingerliu has much to be proud ofgingerliu has much to be proud ofgingerliu has much to be proud ofgingerliu has much to be proud ofgingerliu has much to be proud ofgingerliu has much to be proud ofgingerliu has much to be proud ofgingerliu has much to be proud ofgingerliu has much to be proud of

They are all important but I think family is the most important and mine are in England. Maybe I can do both -live in two countries. Yeh, I know it won't be as laid back in England. Jeez, I go to work and interviews in my jeans in LA and everyone loves a Brit. But I am being dragged down from success because of missing my family. It never used to be this way...only now, after a few years being away. Maybe I'll just keep going back and forth...forever the nomad...that's me.
Old Jun 9th 2008, 4:35 pm
itchy feet again!

Jay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond repute

You'll reach the right decision eventually; karma sent......
Old Jun 9th 2008, 4:44 pm
Forum Regular

gingerliu has much to be proud ofgingerliu has much to be proud ofgingerliu has much to be proud ofgingerliu has much to be proud ofgingerliu has much to be proud ofgingerliu has much to be proud ofgingerliu has much to be proud ofgingerliu has much to be proud ofgingerliu has much to be proud ofgingerliu has much to be proud ofgingerliu has much to be proud of

Cheers to you!!
Old Jun 9th 2008, 6:34 pm
Feels great to be home!

SarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond repute

I didn't like working in London because you get treated like crap -your boss swears at you, etc. In America, your boss hugs you.
I don't know where else in the US you could say that about. Not in the Houston area, that's for sure . . . . . (I'm sure there are exceptions, but I haven't worked there.)
Old Jun 9th 2008, 8:17 pm
Forum Regular

scbrit has much to be proud ofscbrit has much to be proud ofscbrit has much to be proud ofscbrit has much to be proud ofscbrit has much to be proud ofscbrit has much to be proud ofscbrit has much to be proud ofscbrit has much to be proud ofscbrit has much to be proud ofscbrit has much to be proud ofscbrit has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Dee_dee
Oh that's fascinating scbrit, may I ask you, as a returnee, and possibly ping ponger (absolutely no offence intended) from your point of view what are the benefits of the USA over the uk that you have come to realise since you returned to the UK and were able to compare with hindsight. ?
Well I do tend to see things with rose colored glasses! We lived in Coastal South Carolina and now live in Northamptonshire, so big difference, I found life very easy in SC, getting around, going places, doing everyday things, I miss the southern hospitality, we could afford to eat at nice restaurants, we had the beach only 10 miles away, we could see opportunities to have our own business, we could afford our own home (which over here we just cannot afford to do), we spent alot more time outside, work and life was much more laid back, the kids were generally very respectful. I didn't appreciate this until we moved back, now everywhere we go there are so many people!, its does feels sometimes like an overcrowded island! I love the culture, travel opportunities and time off, but the weather gets my husband and myself down (even my 4 year old refused to go outside in the winter sometimes!), the expense of everything (from daycare - I pay twice as much for half the amount of daycare! - to my crazy shopping bill!) and the fact we just cannot get onto the housing ladder is the big clincher. Now I am rambling.. No problem with the ping-ponger, I've always been alittle indecisive. I could see myself becoming a serial ping-ponger! if I had the money!!
Old Jun 24th 2008, 10:04 am
Banned

Barratie is just really niceBarratie is just really niceBarratie is just really niceBarratie is just really niceBarratie is just really niceBarratie is just really niceBarratie is just really niceBarratie is just really nice

I have lived in the USA for six years. I am single and 39 years old. Everyday that I've lived here I have missed England. I love England. But missing my family, my ageing mother, my sister, brother and nieces, is absolutely killing me. I have felt alone for the whole time I've been here, despite making friends and having lovers...I've always felt empty and rather depressed. When no one understands your sense of humour or can relate to your past or can even believe that England has a better standard of living than the US, then it's a very lonely time. I was doing much better in England and had to start from scratch in the US. I have lived on the poverty line and have had nothing. In England I lived a wonderful middle class comfortable lifestyle. The US has been wonderful but I think of my future and the lack of healthcare and pension. It scares me. If I was married and had kids here, then things would be different. If I was earning truck loads of money it would also be different. I haven't been on holiday once since I've lived in the US -employers don't give you the time off. I miss taking a cheap trip to Paris or Amsterdam. I miss shopping and clean shops, new cars, and not having to see homeless people everywhere. I miss the food, I miss pubs, Xmas, summer holidays, Bonfire Night, tv, my newspaper. I live in Los Angeles and the weather is fantastic and the people are so friendly. I'm a writer and I work in film and I should be happy but these years without my close family have taken their toll on me. I visited home last week and I cried my eyes out. I think of the future and I don't want a future without my family. My mum is getting older and it kills me not to see her. I can't settle in the US because I think I will leave. I must be crazy to move back to the rain but then I think of evern the rich and famous who still live in England, despite Hollywood wealth or million dollar record sales.
But I don't want to make a mistake. I was always going home because I don't want to grow old in a country without healthcare and work holidays, my mum is getting really old. Should I go now or stay a few more years for my career?
Well the US is very very large, have you lived in many states or cities? if you have spent six years in one place then sure it's time for a change, but that does not mean you have to go back to cruddy UK.

Like I say elsewhere many Amercians would hate to live and work in certain states or towns, some people hate cities some people love them, you should only return to UK if you are convinced that the gigantic, varied, US has zero to offer.

Compare east coats with west, or midwest? people raised in Arizona or New Mexico HATE east coast with its hot humid weather and crazy pace of life, and people in NY or places hate the midwest with its arid climate, sedantry lifestyle etc, I mean really if EVERYWHERE in the US holds no appeal for you then fine, leave but you really should check other places out.

H
Old Jun 24th 2008, 5:29 pm
Forum Regular

I have lived in San Francisco, Chicago, and Berkeley. THe Bay Area was lovely but one thing was missing...family. If I go home to my family, I'll be living in the place I escaped 20 years ago but at least I'll have my family around. LA is nice. I think I just need to get away for awhile. I know once I move back home, I'll probably visit LA for some work. Yeh, I must be mad but I am alone here and I'm done with it.
Old Jun 24th 2008, 6:17 pm
Banned

Barratie is just really niceBarratie is just really niceBarratie is just really niceBarratie is just really niceBarratie is just really niceBarratie is just really niceBarratie is just really niceBarratie is just really nice

I have lived in San Francisco, Chicago, and Berkeley. THe Bay Area was lovely but one thing was missing...family. If I go home to my family, I'll be living in the place I escaped 20 years ago but at least I'll have my family around. LA is nice. I think I just need to get away for awhile. I know once I move back home, I'll probably visit LA for some work. Yeh, I must be mad but I am alone here and I'm done with it.
Well that's fine, if you have travelled around and really feel that the UK has more or offer you as you age, then that is an informed choice and each of us has to make our own.

H

PS: Post offices are closing down by the truckload, eastern europeans have migrated here in significant numbers, TV is dominated by crime 'documentaries' that have no equal in US (How often have you seen a show whose focus is violence and agression in pubs on a city by city basis?) I also have started to see a lot of black taxis (Liverpool is one place this happened) that did NOT know where some well known road was, so they INSISTED I help them setup a GPS route, they do NOT know the city's roads) etc etc etc...
Old Jun 24th 2008, 6:37 pm
Bendy Bully

Eric Hitchmo has a reputation beyond reputeEric Hitchmo has a reputation beyond reputeEric Hitchmo has a reputation beyond reputeEric Hitchmo has a reputation beyond reputeEric Hitchmo has a reputation beyond reputeEric Hitchmo has a reputation beyond reputeEric Hitchmo has a reputation beyond reputeEric Hitchmo has a reputation beyond reputeEric Hitchmo has a reputation beyond reputeEric Hitchmo has a reputation beyond reputeEric Hitchmo has a reputation beyond repute
Cool Re: Should I stay or should I go now...

Originally Posted by Barratie
I also have started to see a lot of black taxis (Liverpool is one place this happened) that did NOT know where some well known road was, so they INSISTED I help them setup a GPS route, they do NOT know the city's roads) etc etc etc...
Man that's terrible. I've not come across that but if I did, I'd be on the first plane to the US to live among people who are world-renowned for their grasp of geography.

Originally Posted by Barratie
...eastern europeans have migrated here in significant numbers...
It's shocking isn't it? Not on at all. It's enough to make me want to move to another country where I'll no doubt assume I'm entitled to a warm welcome from the natives.
Old Jun 24th 2008, 6:56 pm
Forum Regular

I think H has been reading the Daily Mail. Anyone who thinks that the British crime rate is worse than America, is crazy. And I don't blame H, I blame the British media. All this crap about knife crime. In reality the statistics say that knife crime has not gone up....it's the British press who are making a story. My mum reads the Daily Mail and I have to hear shout out about the Poles, Knife Crime, crime in general. When I went home a couple of weeks ago I watched the news programs and they were unbelievably sensationalized. It's the British media causing all this scare with the public. I repeat, which country has the most killings in the western world? The USA. If my mum didn't read the Daily Mail, she would love her country and not be so afraid of crime. Remember people: eleven odd thousand people are murdered every year in the USA, and about 65 people in the UK. UK is a small country and the press love to have us talking about the same thing. When I was home, knife crime was in the papers, on the news, on debates, and even Jonathon Ross mentioned it on his evening program to an American actor who probably thought how silly we all are. Woo.....how many people in the UK have been stabbed this year?????? Not many. Gosh, I forgot how powerful the British media is. When I go home I'm getting my mum to read The Guardian but then thats' not a GOSSIP paper like the Daily Mail. The DM hates every one and every thing. It hates blacks, gays, Poles -it's the paper for white middle-class people. The UK is a great country: inventive, artistic, creative, wicked sense of humor, breathtaking countryside, beautiful architecture, amazing history. Everywhere I have lived in America, I have been surrounded by homeless crazy people. I loved San Francisco but homeless people and crazy homeless people are everywhere. Does the government look after them? I'm going home because we have a state that looks after us. I love SF and I love LA, America is great and fun and the people are lovely but what happens when I get old? I have no pension/401K. Do I live on the streets when I'm 80 years old?
Old Jun 24th 2008, 11:27 pm
Forum Regular

Dee_dee is just really niceDee_dee is just really niceDee_dee is just really niceDee_dee is just really niceDee_dee is just really niceDee_dee is just really niceDee_dee is just really niceDee_dee is just really niceDee_dee is just really niceDee_dee is just really niceDee_dee is just really nice

Soz gingerliu, but your figure of 65 homicides per year in the uk is waaaay off the mark sadly. The figure is closer to 700 per year, approx 13% per million of the population. Scarey in anyones book I would say, considering as you point out, the size of this ''small country''.

look here....

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukne...y-a-third.html
Old Jun 24th 2008, 11:41 pm
Feels great to be home!

SarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond repute

The figure is closer to 700 per year, approx 13 per million of the population. Scarey in anyones book I would say, considering as you point out, the size of this ''small country''.
Nya-nya-nya-nya-nya . . . Houston's murder rate is 18 per 100,000 . . .

http://www.khou.com/news/local/stori....1c91bb8f.html
Old Jun 24th 2008, 11:43 pm
Forum Regular

Dee_dee is just really niceDee_dee is just really niceDee_dee is just really niceDee_dee is just really niceDee_dee is just really niceDee_dee is just really niceDee_dee is just really niceDee_dee is just really niceDee_dee is just really niceDee_dee is just really niceDee_dee is just really nice

lol sarah , that was 13 percent not 13
Old Jun 24th 2008, 11:52 pm
Feels great to be home!

lol sarah , that was 13 percent not 13
Nuh-uh. I checked it in order to make the comparison. In the Telegraph article it says "Last year's total of 734 is 13.7 per million."

So I'm still winning!

I guess someone could do the math -- in Houston 324 murders in a population of about 5 million; in the UK (not sure whether its all UK or just England or what) 734 murders in a population of about 60 million.

Last edited by SarahInTX; Jun 24th 2008 at 11:54 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.