Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Should I move from London to US? UK Entrepreneur with a dilemma!

Should I move from London to US? UK Entrepreneur with a dilemma!

Old Jun 22nd 2018, 4:39 pm
Just Joined

expatlife2211 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Should I move from London to US? UK Entrepreneur with a dilemma!

Hi all,

im stuck on the decision of whether to move to the US. I can easily get a green card through EB1A visa - but I’m just considering for a young entrepreneur - whether it would be a good place to move and set up a new business (I sold my last one last year). I’m also a bit concerned about my wife who will end up working for a US company (she’s in PR as a director here in the UK (but worked in Dubai for. A while too) - she’s really apprehensive about specifically the lack of holiday in US companies - she gets 30 days here so 10 days would be a massive drop. DonUS company often allow unpaid leave and do senior positions get more holiday? I’m also a bit unsure as to whether to move to NYC, LA or another major business city. My criteria is that it has to be a major business capital for me to start a business in and do well. I know NYC the best but it’s a very ‘hard’ city, I wonder if longer term maybe it would be better to go somewhere where you get more for your money. I do love New York though. Just wondering if anyone could share any experiences/regrets. I don’t necessarilt want kids either... if that makes a difference!

Last edited by expatlife2211; Jun 22nd 2018 at 5:34 pm. Reason: Change
Old Jun 22nd 2018, 5:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

BenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Should I move from London to US? UK Entrepreneur with a dilemma!

Originally Posted by joeb1984
Hi all,

im stuck on the decision of whether to move to the US. I can easily get a green card through EB1A visa - but I’m just considering for a young entrepreneur aged 33 - whether it would be a good place to move and set up a new business (I sold my last one last year). I’m also a bit concerned about my wife who will end up working for a US company (she’s in public relations as an associate director here in the UK (but worked in Dubai for. A while too) - she’s really apprehensive about specifically the lack of holiday in US companies - she gets 30 days here so 10 days would be a massive drop. DonUS company often allow unpaid leave and do senior positions get more holiday? I’m also a bit unsure as to whether to move to NYC, LA or another major business city. My criteria is that it has to be a major business capital for me to start a business in and do well. I know NYC the best but it’s a very ‘hard’ city, I wonder if longer term maybe it would be better to go somewhere where you get more for your money. I do love New York though. Just wondering if anyone could share any experiences/regrets. I don’t necessarilt want kids either... if that makes a difference!
What makes you think NYC is the best for business? For finance sure, but for many other things I don't think NYC could be included in the top 5. You haven't actually mentioned what kind of business it is.

Also, from what I've gathered seniority doesn't grant more vacation, length of service does. Also, I'd be very shocked if your spouse was able to walk into a senior position in the US. I'd say very unlikely with no US work history.

Also just as a reference, the new company I've started working for here allows 25 days vacation (automatically accrued from my start date) which is very generous.
Old Jun 22nd 2018, 5:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

GeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond repute

I'd be interested to know what makes you think you'd qualify for an EB1A visa - not doubting you, just wondering. It's a tough one to get, and running a successful company does not necessarily pave the way to an EB1A.

As Ben says, location may well depend on what your business is. Why not have your wife work for your proposed US business so you can set the holiday/vacation time yourself?

Good luck. I can try to help with EB1A questions as I went through it myself - successfully, somehow!
Old Jun 22nd 2018, 5:09 pm
Just Joined

Thanks so much for the reply. Well, I’m not sure what my next business will be, my last was in media related sector but I have investments and experience in number of sectors. I suppose where there is finance there are usually lots of start ups - but also lot of existing established larger businesses. I would imagine my partner would be looking for a global head of commiunicafions type role or a senior role in an agency which especially has global clients. She has 3 years experience in Middle East working across brands there, several years in London - so I think that would be good for a bigger US agency? Good to know re holiday though, I think when you go in at a senior level usually you have much more contract negotiation
than junior/mid level roles I suppose. I actually really like Austin as a City - seems great there at the moment!

Last edited by expatlife2211; Jun 22nd 2018 at 5:27 pm. Reason: Endit content
Old Jun 22nd 2018, 5:22 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Not sure if you wanted to stay anonymous, but just FYI your post above makes you very easily Googleable (not sure that's a word but hey) and identifiable. Just in case you might want to edit the post whilst you still can - there's a time limit of 2 hours to edit posts.
Old Jun 22nd 2018, 5:24 pm
Banned

Twinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond repute

Partner or wife? It makes a huge difference when dealing with immigration and you used both terms.
Old Jun 22nd 2018, 5:32 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Twinkle0927
Partner or wife? It makes a huge difference when dealing with immigration and you used both terms.
Would be wife by then hence using the term originally - but I’m fairly aware of the immigration implications it’s more the actually the living in the US bit which is the bit I’m considering the most, how people find the business environment and living there - I don’t have much concerns on getting visas really
Old Jun 22nd 2018, 5:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

neill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond repute

Another point of view: Do you really want to immigrate? You probably qualify for a number of non-immigrant visas (O-1, E-2 come to mind) that will allow you to come and go as you please without a permanent commitment to Uncle Sam and all the obligations that come with it.
Old Jun 22nd 2018, 5:39 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by neill
Another point of view: Do you really want to immigrate? You probably qualify for a number of non-immigrant visas (O-1, E-2 come to mind) that will allow you to come and go as you please without a permanent commitment to Uncle Sam and all the obligations that come with it.
yes that’s also another thing I am considering
Old Jun 22nd 2018, 5:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

GeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond repute

I don’t have much concerns on getting visas really
With respect, getting a visa is the first thing to consider. Without that the rest of the questions are moot. Look at it from our point of view: so many people post here thinking a visa is the easy part when it turns out they never had a chance of a visa in the first place. So help us to help you by seeing what you might be eligible for.
Old Jun 22nd 2018, 5:58 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by GeoffM
With respect, getting a visa is the first thing to consider. Without that the rest of the questions are moot. Look at it from our point of view: so many people post here thinking a visa is the easy part when it turns out they never had a chance of a visa in the first place. So help us to help you by seeing what you might be eligible for.
Hi Geoff,

Thanks for that. I’ve got immigration lawyers specifically for that purpose, who have the evidence in front of them. I don’t mean any offense by this at all, it’s just impossible to post large amounts of sensible personal information here for random people to attempt to assess something which really should be left to instructed attorneys - however Ive had a number of the top ranking firms review my case and have instructed one of them.

Any comments on your other experience of moving to and living in the US would be very appreciated though!
Old Jun 22nd 2018, 6:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

Thanks for that. I’ve got immigration lawyers specifically for that purpose, who have the evidence in front of them. I don’t mean any offense by this at all, it’s just impossible to post large amounts of sensible personal information here for random people to attempt to assess something which really should be left to instructed attorneys - however Ive had a number of the top ranking firms review my case and have instructed one of them.

Ah okay, thanks for explaining that. Immigration attorneys are certainly recommended for cases like EB1A. Of note, there are a couple of (former?) attorneys on here (S Folinsky and crg) who are very knowledgeable. It wouldn't hurt to raise any questions you may have, or to seek alternative views, in the Immigration forum and they might chime in.

I have heard good things about Austin but not sure the humidity would suit me long term, albeit not as bad as other humid places. There are other people here who can advise on Austin.

Do you actually need to be in a "major financial centre" daily? LA can be a miserable commute by car, and the few trains are way less efficient and frequent than the UK. If you're thinking of Austin, you might look at San Diego as well - friendly city, not too big or expensive, lots to do around (and Mexico next door, if you want).

Last edited by GeoffM; Jun 22nd 2018 at 6:27 pm.
Old Jun 22nd 2018, 7:17 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by GeoffM

Ah okay, thanks for explaining that. Immigration attorneys are certainly recommended for cases like EB1A. Of note, there are a couple of (former?) attorneys on here (S Folinsky and crg) who are very knowledgeable. It wouldn't hurt to raise any questions you may have, or to seek alternative views, in the Immigration forum and they might chime in.

I have heard good things about Austin but not sure the humidity would suit me long term, albeit not as bad as other humid places. There are other people here who can advise on Austin.

Do you actually need to be in a "major financial centre" daily? LA can be a miserable commute by car, and the few trains are way less efficient and frequent than the UK. If you're thinking of Austin, you might look at San Diego as well - friendly city, not too big or expensive, lots to do around (and Mexico next door, if you want).
Hey Geoff,

Thats really helpful. No - I guess I don’t need to be necessarily by a big financial centre daily - so that’s a good point really. Yes I’ve acrually never been to San Diego but I hear lots of good things.

I have experienced traffic hell in LA before from having been there just for short periods - it seems living the ride side depending on where you work seems to be essential. Ironically I’m actually less concerned about me as I can, in theory, work most places and travel - but that’s certainly going to be a consideration for my partner who will have to work for people.

Are you glad glad you made the switch to living out there?
Old Jun 22nd 2018, 7:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

MidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond repute

The nature of your intended business could have a big impact on your best location. Consider Atlanta, which is booming and attracting many big names.
Old Jun 23rd 2018, 1:54 am
BE Forum Addict

I have experienced traffic hell in LA before from having been there just for short periods - it seems living the ride side depending on where you work seems to be essential.
Yes, like most cities I guess. It's like the old saying, "if you want to go there, don't start from here" (or words to that effect).

Are you glad glad you made the switch to living out there?
Well, there's a question. There are good points and there are bad points. There are things I miss about the UK, and things I don't. It's certainly been a "journey".

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.