Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Should I move back to Britain?

Wikiposts

Should I move back to Britain?

Old Aug 17th 2004, 6:59 pm
Forum Regular

Cygnus is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Should I move back to Britain?

Originally Posted by iaink
Has he spent any serious time in Canada or is this just a hunch? As a brit in canada it seems kind of similar to the States, but with more state healthcare provision, less violence and maybe (only a maybe) a bit more social concience than the US. But then I've not lived in the US, just been exposed to constant US media barage N of the border.
Yes, he's spent quite a bit of time in Windsor as he used to live in Detroit, so it was a short drive to get there. I don't know what we will do eventually or whether it will even be worth moving up there! But for now, I am so much happier living here than I ever was in the UK, I feel very at home here.
Old Aug 18th 2004, 1:04 am
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cygnus
Yes, he's spent quite a bit of time in Windsor as he used to live in Detroit, so it was a short drive to get there. I don't know what we will do eventually or whether it will even be worth moving up there! But for now, I am so much happier living here than I ever was in the UK, I feel very at home here.
Thats not really the same thing as paying canadian taxes and trying to find work in the canadian job market.
Old Aug 18th 2004, 5:24 am
Forum Regular

Big Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by callë
my husband is scared to death. he thinks all of England is old gray cramped houses, rain and dreary and nothing more.
Yep, it was still like that when I left three months ago....

Sorry, but I'm glad to see the back of the place....
Old Aug 18th 2004, 3:18 pm
Forum Regular

Cygnus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by iaink
Thats not really the same thing as paying canadian taxes and trying to find work in the canadian job market.
That's why I think - but he has a skill where he can basically find himself a job anywhere - even when he moved to the UK he found a job in just a week - same when we moved to the US a few weeks ago! Perhaps his luck will run out if we ever get to Canada!!
Old Aug 22nd 2004, 4:13 pm
Forum Regular

immunise is on a distinguished road
Thumbs down Re: Should I move back to Britain?

Hi

I lived in LA for the last year and now live in SF, I would go back in an instant to Scotland. I'm so so homesick it hurts (I was home just 8 weeks ago and didn't want to leave)! My experience is that working here is just not worth the (double UK) money. Two weeks holiday a year? not worth it at all, I got 7 weeks a year in the UK! I only had to work 37 hours a week and I didn't have to get up at 5:30 am!

I miss family, friends, food, normal traffic levels, normal people...I could go on and on...

I have a full year before I return home and I think I will go insane before then!

Paul
Old Aug 22nd 2004, 4:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Nevada b4 California b4 Colorado b4 Valley of plastic and sand, b4 London
veryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond repute

I think that depends on what you do for a living, I certainly get more than 2 weeks holiday for my job and do not have to wake up at 5am. Yes, I can understand people being home sick I feel the same almost everyday especially when you are around people who never understand the British sense of humour.

The real deal is do what you feel suits you, I have not been here long enough to throw in the towel , plus my wife would have a break down if we moved back, she would never be able to handle it.

I cannot say I will be here forever but one has to give it time, if after so long you still miss home then it is best to Kiss here goodbye and move back.

Originally Posted by immunise
Hi

I lived in LA for the last year and now live in SF, I would go back in an instant to Scotland. I'm so so homesick it hurts (I was home just 8 weeks ago and didn't want to leave)! My experience is that working here is just not worth the (double UK) money. Two weeks holiday a year? not worth it at all, I got 7 weeks a year in the UK! I only had to work 37 hours a week and I didn't have to get up at 5:30 am!

I miss family, friends, food, normal traffic levels, normal people...I could go on and on...

I have a full year before I return home and I think I will go insane before then!

Paul
Old Aug 22nd 2004, 4:33 pm
Forum Regular

immunise is on a distinguished road

Hi

My job - operating room nurse, I start at 7am, in Scotland it was 8am, no real difference I just don't feel the need to start that early! I find the culture here so intollerant, so rude and so conservative, god fearing and no humoUr! I knew I was past the point of no return when little things like spelling words without U or adding Z instead of S irritated me. In July 2005 I will shred my Green card on return to the UK - I will never come back to the USA!

Paul
Old Aug 22nd 2004, 4:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Nevada b4 California b4 Colorado b4 Valley of plastic and sand, b4 London
veryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond repute

Yes I understand some of the things you are talking about but it is not always that way. I miss home as well but I still feel I should give it time, time and time.

Originally Posted by immunise
Hi

My job - operating room nurse, I start at 7am, in Scotland it was 8am, no real difference I just don't feel the need to start that early! I find the culture here so intollerant, so rude and so conservative, god fearing and no humoUr! I knew I was past the point of no return when little things like spelling words without U or adding Z instead of S irritated me. In July 2005 I will shred my Green card on return to the UK - I will never come back to the USA!

Paul
Old Aug 22nd 2004, 4:47 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Nope, I don't either. Moving to the US was the second best thing that ever happened to me, ..... after getting married!
I am 100% with Pulaski... Never had life as good as I have it now!!
Old Aug 23rd 2004, 2:39 am
BE Forum Addict

I bet that it did take its time before you felt that way, also depends on what you left behind.

Originally Posted by Ray
Old Aug 23rd 2004, 3:42 am
Lurk Lurk Lurk

tinaflorida is a glorious beacon of lighttinaflorida is a glorious beacon of lighttinaflorida is a glorious beacon of lighttinaflorida is a glorious beacon of lighttinaflorida is a glorious beacon of lighttinaflorida is a glorious beacon of lighttinaflorida is a glorious beacon of lighttinaflorida is a glorious beacon of lighttinaflorida is a glorious beacon of lighttinaflorida is a glorious beacon of lighttinaflorida is a glorious beacon of light

Ditto.

I love returning to England for a visit, but I don't think I'll ever live there again. Maybe I got lucky, because I found wonderful friends who have a great sense of humour, several of whom have spent significant amounts of time in England so they know and love Brit humour like I do.