British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Should I learn to drive in the UK or when I move to California? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/should-i-learn-drive-uk-when-i-move-california-895265/)

jamel0226 Apr 11th 2017 12:18 pm

Should I learn to drive in the UK or when I move to California?

Hi guys,

this is my first post.

Before I start I would just like to say how wonderful it is having a forum like this, such useful information.

So basically, I am looking to move to California in October 2017. [*UPDATE* I am a Foreign Born US Citizen]

I visited last month, my main concern with moving is driving, as I don't drive here in London, I am 27, I never bothered to learn to drive as I didn't see the need!

I am in two minds whether or not I should learn to drive here in London or in Los Angeles.

I'm thinking, is there any point in learning to drive in London considering I will have to take another course to learn in California.

Is it cheaper to learn to drive in London or California?

Is it easier to learn to drive in London or California? -- Considering American's drive on the other side of the road.

Also, I've heard that I will have needed to have my license for 1 year to use car rental companies in the USA?

Sorry for the many questions, but any advice would be much appreciated.

:thumbsup:

Regards,

ian-mstm Apr 11th 2017 12:32 pm

Re: Should I learn to drive in the UK or when I move to California?

Originally Posted by jamel0226 (Post 12226723)
... is there any point in learning to drive in London...

No.

Is it cheaper to learn to drive in London or California?
It's relatively cheap in California.

Is it easier to learn to drive in London or California?
On the assumption that you're talking about the ease with which you can get a driver's license - it's definitely easier in California. Actually driving in California can be much more dangerous, however!

Considering American's drive on the other side of the road.
Since you don't currently drive, I can't imagine it makes much difference!

I've heard that I will have needed to have my license for 1 year to use car rental companies in the USA?
I doubt this is true - but be prepared to fork out a chunk of money!

Ian

quiltman Apr 11th 2017 12:50 pm

OK, I'll ask first: Assuming you are not a USC, what visa are you moving on? Do you have a job in California and are they sponsoring your visa?

jamel0226 Apr 11th 2017 12:52 pm

Originally Posted by quiltman (Post 12226763)
OK, I'll ask first: Assuming you are not a USC, what visa are you moving on? Do you have a job in California and are they sponsoring your visa?

Good question Quiltman, I am a foreign born USC. I haven't lined up a job as of yet (In the process).

aless02 Apr 11th 2017 12:52 pm

Assuming you've got the visa side sorted, there is ZERO point to learning to drive now in the UK. It's very expensive and likely you wouldn't even get your license before October even if you started now (unless you did an intensive course - but I'm assuming you'd be the average '1 lesson per week' type person). London is HARD to drive in, to boot (used to live there...didn't learn how to drive until we moved to Yorkshire, as London was that intimidating!). On top of all that, even once you got your British DL, you'd have to take a new written AND practical test in California anyway. They are easy, but I don't see the point in doing both.

I've started from scratch (driving license) in both countries, but America is ten times easier to learn to drive and obtain a license in.

jamel0226 Apr 11th 2017 12:57 pm

Originally Posted by ian-mstm (Post 12226743)
No.

It's relatively cheap in California.

On the assumption that you're talking about the ease with which you can get a driver's license - it's definitely easier in California. Actually driving in California can be much more dangerous, however!

Thanks Ian, it does seem that in the USA learning to drive is cheaper. :fingerscrossed:

< snip >

quiltman Apr 11th 2017 1:01 pm

Originally Posted by jamel0226 (Post 12226765)
Good question Quiltman, I am a foreign born USC. I haven't lined up a job as of yet (In the process).

Thanks, nice to know. Saves others asking the same questions! good luck with the job. yup, learn to drive once you get to California , don't waste money on UK lessons with such a short timescale.

jamel0226 Apr 11th 2017 1:07 pm

Originally Posted by aless02 (Post 12226766)
Assuming you've got the visa side sorted, there is ZERO point to learning to drive now in the UK. It's very expensive and likely you wouldn't even get your license before October even if you started now (unless you did an intensive course - but I'm assuming you'd be the average '1 lesson per week' type person). London is HARD to drive in, to boot. On top of all that, even once you got your British DL, you'd have to take a new written AND practical test in California anyway. They are easy, but I don't see the point in doing both.

I've started from scratch (driving license) in both countries, but America is ten times easier to learn to drive and obtain a license in.

Thanks for your Advice Aless02. I am in the process of lining up a job before I move, depending on my success I may move without a job, the reason I considered learning to drive here in London is because I may move and have to start my job immediately.

I am looking to move to the Los Angeles County area, so I could always make use of the Los Angeles public rail system.

Has anyone commuted to work using the Los Angeles public transit?

Thanks in advance

petitefrancaise Apr 11th 2017 2:11 pm

I learned to drive in London. Wasn't that bad and I have driven in countries all over the world since.

OP, I'd at least start learning to drive now. Just to get the feel of driving, starting to get a bit of a sense of others around you. Make sure you get an automatic car to learn in. Not sure how you would cope in California and not be able to drive - just getting to job interviews will be 10x harder. Anything that gets you going a bit earlier is going to help. Switching sides of the road isn't difficult either.

md95065 Apr 11th 2017 2:26 pm

If you can manage it I would definitely try to both learn to drive and get a license before you leave the UK. While you will need to take a driving test to get a license in California you will not need to take any driving lessons in California *if* you already have a UK license.

Yes it is probably harder to learn to drive in London, and the UK driving test will be more difficult, but you will at least actually learn how to drive.

On the other hand, the logistics of arriving in the U.S. and trying to settle in and find a job *and* learn how to drive all at the same time may well be overwhelming. As you should already have discovered, public transport in the U.S. typically ranges from poor to non-existent.

Novocastrian Apr 11th 2017 2:38 pm

Originally Posted by md95065 (Post 12226834)
If you can manage it I would definitely try to both learn to drive and get a license before you leave the UK. While you will need to take a driving test to get a license in California you will not need to take any driving lessons in California *if* you already have a UK license.

When we moved to Riverside CA in 1977* my wife had never been a driver. The only lessons she got were from me and she passed her test first time about 3 weeks after we arrived.

*The rules may well have changed since then, but I'd be surprised if the congestion in and around LA were any different today.

md95065 Apr 11th 2017 2:47 pm

Originally Posted by Novocastrian (Post 12226844)
When we moved to Riverside CA in 1977* my wife had never been a driver. The only lessons she got were from me and she passed her test first time about 3 weeks after we arrived.

*The rules may well have changed since then, but I'd be surprised if the congestion in and around LA were any different today.

Yes, but there were two of you. You had a license and could give her lessons and drive her around until she got her license. As I understand it, the OP will be on his own and will most likely not have someone with a car, living in the same household, who can give him lessons and drive him around for the first month or so.

Novocastrian Apr 11th 2017 4:24 pm

Originally Posted by md95065 (Post 12226849)
Yes, but there were two of you. You had a license and could give her lessons and drive her around until she got her license. As I understand it, the OP will be on his own and will most likely not have someone with a car, living in the same household, who can give him lessons and drive him around for the first month or so.

Fair point. But starting lessons in London would just be a waste of money and probably a set-back.

jamel0226 Apr 11th 2017 4:30 pm

Originally Posted by md95065 (Post 12226849)

Thanks Md95065, great point. Luckily, I will have someone in Los Angeles to drive me around (depending on their availability), and theirs always Uber, I will be staying with them for a month or two until I find my feet.

But just as petitefrancaise said, it may prove difficult learning to drive, looking for work and a place to stay all at the same time.

I may ask a friend to give me 'free' lessons while I am still in London.

Thanks guys.:thumbup:

Rete Apr 11th 2017 7:43 pm

Outside of learning the rules of the road in the State you will be living in, driving is really learning to control the vehicle. So it makes no difference if that control is learned in the UK or the US. There might be slight adjustments to be made in making left and right turns and parallel parking (if that is done in CA) as the driver's seat is on the opposite side of the car in the US if you are learning in the UK but a few lessons in the US will bring you up to speed. Since you aren't planning on coming to the US anytime soon, I vote for taking a few lessons or having a friend let you use their car for the first few times in a large empty parking lot :thumbsup:

Bob Apr 11th 2017 9:29 pm

One learns to drive, in the other, one learns to pass the test and learns on the go, but the look of things....

Learning in a automatic, would certainly be easier. It's basically a go-cart at that point, but you don't have that same level of concentration you have when you learn to drive in a manual, which I think helps make you a better driver over all IMO. So might be worth having a few lessons before you leave London. Not really worth the cost of doing the test and getting the license though, unless even having a new one gets you out of the drivers ed type requirement in California. You don't have to do that stuff if you're over 21 in MA, but not all states will waive the requirement of hanging out with the spotty pizza faces.

BritInParis Apr 11th 2017 10:15 pm

Although certainly cheaper and easier to pass your test in California if you are ever thinking of moving back to the UK then I would get your licence here first before you make the move.

az2014 Apr 12th 2017 3:57 am

Definitely in the UK. And make sure its a manual, so you can drive automatic as well.

I did this 2 years ago. Passed everything first time after 25 hours of lessons. Took 2 months from my first lesson to having my licence in my hand.

I would never drive here in London, only did it so I have the option in the future, and so I could drive my then girlfriend's car when I visited her in NY.

Driving in the USA is easyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy compared to the UK. Might as well get the hard part done first!

md95065 Apr 12th 2017 5:04 am

Originally Posted by Bob (Post 12227168)
Not really worth the cost of doing the test and getting the license though, unless even having a new one gets you out of the drivers ed type requirement in California. You don't have to do that stuff if you're over 21 in MA, but not all states will waive the requirement of hanging out with the spotty pizza faces.

I have no idea how much a driving test and license cost in the UK these days but, yes, if you already have a full driver's license then all that you have to do to get a California license is pass the (ridiculously easy) test.

yellowroom Apr 12th 2017 10:24 am

It's an interesting judgement call. You say you live in London - have you always lived there? How much time have you spent as a passenger in a car vs on public transport? Do you cycle much?

I'm asking because it's amazing how much "road sense" you can pick up in ways other than driving. By which I mean being able to understand signs and directions, observe other road users and potential hazards like pedestrians about to cross the road, and generally anticipate the behaviour (good and bad!) of other drivers. It's these skills that make you a better driver and also give you more confidence, regardless of what country you are in.

Actually operating a car is relatively easy in comparison; you could be easily driving round an empty car park in 10 minutes. It's all the other stuff that's hard.

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise (Post 12226821)
OP, I'd at least start learning to drive now. Just to get the feel of driving, starting to get a bit of a sense of others around you. Make sure you get an automatic car to learn in. Not sure how you would cope in California and not be able to drive - just getting to job interviews will be 10x harder. Anything that gets you going a bit earlier is going to help. Switching sides of the road isn't difficult either.

I think this is good advice - some introductory lessons to get a feel for operating a car would help if you've never sat behind a steering wheel before.

jamel0226 Apr 12th 2017 1:48 pm

Originally Posted by yellowroom (Post 12227514)
It's an interesting judgement call. You say you live in London - have you always lived there? How much time have you spent as a passenger in a car vs on public transport? Do you cycle much?

I'm asking because it's amazing how much "road sense" you can pick up in ways other than driving. By which I mean being able to understand signs and directions, observe other road users and potential hazards like pedestrians about to cross the road, and generally anticipate the behaviour (good and bad!) of other drivers. It's these skills that make you a better driver and also give you more confidence, regardless of what country you are in.

Actually operating a car is relatively easy in comparison; you could be easily driving round an empty car park in 10 minutes. It's all the other stuff that's hard.

I think this is good advice - some introductory lessons to get a feel for operating a car would help if you've never sat behind a steering wheel before.

I've never driven a car before unfortunately, but yes I would be able to make out some of the signs on the streets. I'll take your advice, I'll ask a friend to let me drive their car in the middle of a car park.

Thanks!

sherbert Apr 12th 2017 4:35 pm

Getting a license in California will cost you a grand total of...wait for it...$33. And that $33 allows you to take your test up to *3* times. So, it will be much cheaper (and easier) to take your test here.

Depending on where you will live in L.A. you might want to choose to take your test in one of the more 'quieter' suburbs as traffic downtown, Venice etc are traffic nightmares even for the most experienced driver.

Also, we are all saying the test is really easy and it is if you've already taken a British test, but since you've never driven before, it won't be a piece of cake for you. I'd suggest taking some lessons with an instructor when you arrive here.

Good luck!

dj6372 Apr 12th 2017 4:46 pm

Originally Posted by sherbert (Post 12227771)
Getting a license in California will cost you a grand total of...wait for it...$33. And that $33 allows you to take your test up to *3* times. So, it will be much cheaper (and easier) to take your test here.

Depending on where you will live in L.A. you might want to choose to take your test in one of the more 'quieter' suburbs as traffic downtown, Venice etc are traffic nightmares even for the most experienced driver.

Also, we are all saying the test is really easy and it is if you've already taken a British test, but since you've never driven before, it won't be a piece of cake for you. I'd suggest taking some lessons with an instructor when you arrive here.

Good luck!

I'm with sherbert, I took my test in Santa Monica at 4pm so I was in rush hour traffic, not much driving achieved!

IMHO I would not bother with any training in UK, I think it would confuse you more, its ok for people who have driven for years to make the transition.

Have fun, join the driving test line at the DMV stand behind the spotty oiks taking their tests, I was the oldest in line by at least 30 years!!

Novocastrian Apr 12th 2017 5:14 pm

Originally Posted by jamel0226 (Post 12227630)
I've never driven a car before unfortunately, but yes I would be able to make out some of the signs on the streets. I'll take your advice, I'll ask a friend to let me drive their car in the middle of a car park.

Thanks!

Driving an automatic car in CA is bog simple. What is not simple in the UK these days is passing a driving test. It is fairly trivial in California.

Get a bit of parking lot practice in London in your mate's car for sure, but don't waste a penny on lessons there.

Asg123 Apr 12th 2017 8:49 pm

I think some of the posters here are exaggerating the easiness of the California driving test. It's easier than the UK, but they do still seriously test you. I've seen people with years of driving experience fail. So you do need to spend some time learning to drive. Getting some experience handling a car with an L plate and someone sitting beside you before you come will shorten the time you'll need in the US.

cautiousjon Apr 13th 2017 7:34 am

I agree with Asg123. I think that the California driving test is simple for someone who has passed the UK driving test, but it does still requires some training, a reasonable amount of driving skill, and a (learned) innate awareness of what's going on around you.

When I took my California driving test, I was drove for about 20 minutes in a residential area and on a few main roads, and had to stop at several STOP signs, and reverse in a straight line.

dj6372 Apr 13th 2017 3:17 pm

Originally Posted by cautiousjon (Post 12228254)
I agree with Asg123. I think that the California driving test is simple for someone who has passed the UK driving test, but it does still requires some training, a reasonable amount of driving skill, and a (learned) innate awareness of what's going on around you.

When I took my California driving test, I was drove for about 20 minutes in a residential area and on a few main roads, and had to stop at several STOP signs, and reverse in a straight line.

I certainly didn't don't take any training at all, I said that IMHO learning in the uk, then learning in the US would be a waste, do the training here, and yes if you've never driven before the test is likely to be difficult!!!

As for seriously testing you, really??

But I'm sure some SA will say they passed without ever driving before hand.

My experience was based on 30+ years of driving, all over the world.

I thank you m'lud, and I rest my case.

Adnams Apr 13th 2017 5:15 pm

I didn't learn to drive until I moved to USA from UK in my late 20's.
It presented me with no problems the test and everything was fairly easy and slack. I learnt in an automatic and have never driven anything else, why would anyone want to mess around with gears?! ;-) Having to learn in a manual is what put me off from learning in the UK.
The only thing I didn't like about taking my test here was that everyone else was like 16/17 at the test center and I felt like a Granny.

mistijuel Apr 18th 2017 1:39 pm

If you have access to a car in the UK, and you might return at any point, I would strongly consider getting your license in the UK. It is more expensive, I got mine in the US at 18, paid almost nothing for it, and it was super easy exam. This was because I had access to my parents' car and didn't have to pay for lessons. However, when I moved to the UK, I had to start from scratch, had to take lessons and it wasn't easy because in the UK I had to find a teacher etc. This was despite having driven in the US for 8 years, 6 on a full license, so if you return you might have to face taking lessons anyway.

When I was in the US, I didn't live in LA, but I can't imagine that it is that easy to find a driving school in the US as most people get taught at school or from their parents, and if you don't have access to a car in the US to practice, it might be more expensive to get lessons. Quick search on google has 6 hours at $300-400 in LA

SpoogleDrummer Apr 18th 2017 5:13 pm

I think what most people are ignoring is that whilst you can pass the test over here relatively easily, having a license doesn't make you a good or even capable driver. As such the roads are full of idiots so to avoid accidents you not only need to know how to control the car according to the rules of the road but also have to know how to avoid the people who have no idea what they're doing. Personally I did a bunch of lessons with BSM in the UK before coming here and doing the test as I knew lessons wouldn't be readily available.

Pulaski Apr 18th 2017 10:05 pm

Originally Posted by SpoogleDrummer (Post 12231851)
I think what most people are ignoring is that whilst you can pass the test over here relatively easily, having a license doesn't make you a good or even capable driver. As such the roads are full of idiots so to avoid accidents you not only need to know how to control the car according to the rules of the road but also have to know how to avoid the people who have no idea what they're doing. Personally I did a bunch of lessons with BSM in the UK before coming here and doing the test as I knew lessons wouldn't be readily available.

This is very true, and while people often focus on how easy the driving test is in the US, the issue for the OP is that the quality and rigor of the tuition probably has a similar difference. So even if the OP doesn't reach the point in the UK where they have passed their test, I would argue that there is significant value in the process of learning to drive in the UK.

As others have said above, it would also be handy to have passed the test if there is ever any chance that the OP might return to the UK to live later in life.

mrken30 Apr 18th 2017 10:30 pm

One thing to note, is that if you want to learn to drive a manual , do that in the UK because there are very few people who teach in manual cars in the US. Also the manual tuition is not very good from my experience.
Driving a manual will also give you some idea of how gear changes work. However from a purely financial and passing the test perspective, training and take the test where you will eventually be driving. That way you learn the rules of the road once, and create less confusion.

md95065 Apr 19th 2017 6:02 am

Originally Posted by mrken30 (Post 12232145)
... from a purely financial and passing the test perspective, training and take the test where you will eventually be driving.

The financial perspective needs to include an estimate of the additional expenses the OP may incur in the US, between the time that he arrives and the time that he gets a license, as a result of his not being able to drive.

yellowroom Apr 19th 2017 10:11 am

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 12232127)
This is very true, and while people often focus on how easy the driving test is in the US, the issue for the OP is that the quality and rigor of the tuition probably has a similar difference. So even if the OP doesn't reach the point in the UK where they have passed their test, I would argue that there is significant value in the process of learning to drive in the UK.

Yes, the OP has asked about learning to drive, while many of the responses have been about passing the driving test.

IMHO, these are two different, albeit connected, issues. In both the UK and the US, you learn to drive after you pass the test! By which I mean all the things I mentioned upthread about reading the road, hazards, anticipating the actions of other drivers, being able to handle your vehicle in all sorts of weather conditions and generally being a competent and confident driver. And these skills are, by and large, universal and not country dependent.

If time and money weren't a consideration, I think driving lessons and passing the test in the UK means you are further ahead of the game when moving to the US as the UK test is more rigorous on more difficult road conditions and gives you a better place to start. However, as the OP said they had never driven, we have no idea what kind of driver he/she is, and whether they would be able to transfer skills from London to LA easily, or whether it would hinder them to move mid-learning.

Having a few introductory lessons in the UK would at least give them an idea of what would be good for them, particularly if they found an instructor who has experience in teaching international people and/or an understanding of what US driving is like and could advise them appropriately on how they are progressing and what skills they need to focus on. I would have thought London would be a good place to find such an instructor!

NYer May 4th 2017 2:03 pm

Originally Posted by jamel0226 (Post 12226769)
Thanks Ian, it does seem that in the USA learning to drive is cheaper. :fingerscrossed:

< snip >

A good friend, neighbor or relative could teach you to drive for free. That's how I learned. You'll need to pick up a handbook for the written test, of course. I failed on the first try! Also, you'll be using an automatic here in the USA, not a "stick shift."

NYer May 4th 2017 2:41 pm

Originally Posted by mistijuel (Post 12231624)
If you have access to a car in the UK, and you might return at any point, I would strongly consider getting your license in the UK. It is more expensive, I got mine in the US at 18, paid almost nothing for it, and it was super easy exam. This was because I had access to my parents' car and didn't have to pay for lessons. However, when I moved to the UK, I had to start from scratch, had to take lessons and it wasn't easy because in the UK I had to find a teacher etc. This was despite having driven in the US for 8 years, 6 on a full license, so if you return you might have to face taking lessons anyway.

When I was in the US, I didn't live in LA, but I can't imagine that it is that easy to find a driving school in the US as most people get taught at school or from their parents, and if you don't have access to a car in the US to practice, it might be more expensive to get lessons. Quick search on google has 6 hours at $300-400 in LA

I drive in NJ and there are plenty of driving schools - it's hell being behind a driver with the sign "Student Driver"! But, yes, high schools generally have driving classes.

Pulaski May 4th 2017 2:49 pm

Originally Posted by NYer (Post 12244645)
A good friend, neighbor or relative could teach you to drive for free. ....

If you have never driven before this may not be the best idea for most people for several reasons, not least unless you want to start out by learning their bad habits.

petitefrancaise May 4th 2017 2:54 pm

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 12244683)
If you have never driven before this may not be the best idea for most people for several reasons, not least unless you want to start out by learning their bad habits.

:goodpost:
we basically taught our daughter. She took her first test and failed it because she failed to come to a complete stop at a right turn junction. Guess where she learned that???? :o

NYer May 4th 2017 2:58 pm

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 12244683)

Well, I wouldn't learn to drive from a friend who had a lot of points or a DUI conviction! And who is to say that some professional driving instructor doesn't have bad habits of his own?!

I've never had a ticket in 30 years of driving.:lol:

RoadWarriorFromLP May 4th 2017 3:05 pm

Originally Posted by jamel0226 (Post 12226780)
Has anyone commuted to work using the Los Angeles public transit?

Yes. Unfortunately, both of them have since died due to suicide.

It is possible to survive on public transit with careful planning and if both job and home are centrally located. But that will limit your options and your housing costs will likely be on the high side. So you should expect to drive, then feel fortunate if you don't have to.