British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Should I learn to drive in the UK or when I move to California? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/should-i-learn-drive-uk-when-i-move-california-895265/)

jamel0226 Apr 11th 2017 12:18 pm

Should I learn to drive in the UK or when I move to California?

Hi guys,

this is my first post.

Before I start I would just like to say how wonderful it is having a forum like this, such useful information.

So basically, I am looking to move to California in October 2017. [*UPDATE* I am a Foreign Born US Citizen]

I visited last month, my main concern with moving is driving, as I don't drive here in London, I am 27, I never bothered to learn to drive as I didn't see the need!

I am in two minds whether or not I should learn to drive here in London or in Los Angeles.

I'm thinking, is there any point in learning to drive in London considering I will have to take another course to learn in California.

Is it cheaper to learn to drive in London or California?

Is it easier to learn to drive in London or California? -- Considering American's drive on the other side of the road.

Also, I've heard that I will have needed to have my license for 1 year to use car rental companies in the USA?

Sorry for the many questions, but any advice would be much appreciated.

:thumbsup:

Regards,

ian-mstm Apr 11th 2017 12:32 pm

Re: Should I learn to drive in the UK or when I move to California?

Originally Posted by jamel0226 (Post 12226723)
... is there any point in learning to drive in London...

No.

Is it cheaper to learn to drive in London or California?
It's relatively cheap in California.

Is it easier to learn to drive in London or California?
On the assumption that you're talking about the ease with which you can get a driver's license - it's definitely easier in California. Actually driving in California can be much more dangerous, however!

Considering American's drive on the other side of the road.
Since you don't currently drive, I can't imagine it makes much difference!

I've heard that I will have needed to have my license for 1 year to use car rental companies in the USA?
I doubt this is true - but be prepared to fork out a chunk of money!

Ian

quiltman Apr 11th 2017 12:50 pm

OK, I'll ask first: Assuming you are not a USC, what visa are you moving on? Do you have a job in California and are they sponsoring your visa?

jamel0226 Apr 11th 2017 12:52 pm

Originally Posted by quiltman (Post 12226763)
OK, I'll ask first: Assuming you are not a USC, what visa are you moving on? Do you have a job in California and are they sponsoring your visa?

Good question Quiltman, I am a foreign born USC. I haven't lined up a job as of yet (In the process).

aless02 Apr 11th 2017 12:52 pm

Assuming you've got the visa side sorted, there is ZERO point to learning to drive now in the UK. It's very expensive and likely you wouldn't even get your license before October even if you started now (unless you did an intensive course - but I'm assuming you'd be the average '1 lesson per week' type person). London is HARD to drive in, to boot (used to live there...didn't learn how to drive until we moved to Yorkshire, as London was that intimidating!). On top of all that, even once you got your British DL, you'd have to take a new written AND practical test in California anyway. They are easy, but I don't see the point in doing both.

I've started from scratch (driving license) in both countries, but America is ten times easier to learn to drive and obtain a license in.

jamel0226 Apr 11th 2017 12:57 pm

Originally Posted by ian-mstm (Post 12226743)
No.

It's relatively cheap in California.

On the assumption that you're talking about the ease with which you can get a driver's license - it's definitely easier in California. Actually driving in California can be much more dangerous, however!

Thanks Ian, it does seem that in the USA learning to drive is cheaper. :fingerscrossed:

< snip >

quiltman Apr 11th 2017 1:01 pm

Originally Posted by jamel0226 (Post 12226765)
Good question Quiltman, I am a foreign born USC. I haven't lined up a job as of yet (In the process).

Thanks, nice to know. Saves others asking the same questions! good luck with the job. yup, learn to drive once you get to California , don't waste money on UK lessons with such a short timescale.

jamel0226 Apr 11th 2017 1:07 pm

Originally Posted by aless02 (Post 12226766)
Assuming you've got the visa side sorted, there is ZERO point to learning to drive now in the UK. It's very expensive and likely you wouldn't even get your license before October even if you started now (unless you did an intensive course - but I'm assuming you'd be the average '1 lesson per week' type person). London is HARD to drive in, to boot. On top of all that, even once you got your British DL, you'd have to take a new written AND practical test in California anyway. They are easy, but I don't see the point in doing both.

I've started from scratch (driving license) in both countries, but America is ten times easier to learn to drive and obtain a license in.

Thanks for your Advice Aless02. I am in the process of lining up a job before I move, depending on my success I may move without a job, the reason I considered learning to drive here in London is because I may move and have to start my job immediately.

I am looking to move to the Los Angeles County area, so I could always make use of the Los Angeles public rail system.

Has anyone commuted to work using the Los Angeles public transit?

Thanks in advance

petitefrancaise Apr 11th 2017 2:11 pm

I learned to drive in London. Wasn't that bad and I have driven in countries all over the world since.

OP, I'd at least start learning to drive now. Just to get the feel of driving, starting to get a bit of a sense of others around you. Make sure you get an automatic car to learn in. Not sure how you would cope in California and not be able to drive - just getting to job interviews will be 10x harder. Anything that gets you going a bit earlier is going to help. Switching sides of the road isn't difficult either.

md95065 Apr 11th 2017 2:26 pm

If you can manage it I would definitely try to both learn to drive and get a license before you leave the UK. While you will need to take a driving test to get a license in California you will not need to take any driving lessons in California *if* you already have a UK license.

Yes it is probably harder to learn to drive in London, and the UK driving test will be more difficult, but you will at least actually learn how to drive.

On the other hand, the logistics of arriving in the U.S. and trying to settle in and find a job *and* learn how to drive all at the same time may well be overwhelming. As you should already have discovered, public transport in the U.S. typically ranges from poor to non-existent.

Novocastrian Apr 11th 2017 2:38 pm

Originally Posted by md95065 (Post 12226834)
If you can manage it I would definitely try to both learn to drive and get a license before you leave the UK. While you will need to take a driving test to get a license in California you will not need to take any driving lessons in California *if* you already have a UK license.

When we moved to Riverside CA in 1977* my wife had never been a driver. The only lessons she got were from me and she passed her test first time about 3 weeks after we arrived.

*The rules may well have changed since then, but I'd be surprised if the congestion in and around LA were any different today.

md95065 Apr 11th 2017 2:47 pm

Originally Posted by Novocastrian (Post 12226844)
When we moved to Riverside CA in 1977* my wife had never been a driver. The only lessons she got were from me and she passed her test first time about 3 weeks after we arrived.

*The rules may well have changed since then, but I'd be surprised if the congestion in and around LA were any different today.

Yes, but there were two of you. You had a license and could give her lessons and drive her around until she got her license. As I understand it, the OP will be on his own and will most likely not have someone with a car, living in the same household, who can give him lessons and drive him around for the first month or so.

Novocastrian Apr 11th 2017 4:24 pm

Originally Posted by md95065 (Post 12226849)
Yes, but there were two of you. You had a license and could give her lessons and drive her around until she got her license. As I understand it, the OP will be on his own and will most likely not have someone with a car, living in the same household, who can give him lessons and drive him around for the first month or so.

Fair point. But starting lessons in London would just be a waste of money and probably a set-back.

jamel0226 Apr 11th 2017 4:30 pm

Originally Posted by md95065 (Post 12226849)

Thanks Md95065, great point. Luckily, I will have someone in Los Angeles to drive me around (depending on their availability), and theirs always Uber, I will be staying with them for a month or two until I find my feet.

But just as petitefrancaise said, it may prove difficult learning to drive, looking for work and a place to stay all at the same time.

I may ask a friend to give me 'free' lessons while I am still in London.

Thanks guys.:thumbup:

Rete Apr 11th 2017 7:43 pm

Outside of learning the rules of the road in the State you will be living in, driving is really learning to control the vehicle. So it makes no difference if that control is learned in the UK or the US. There might be slight adjustments to be made in making left and right turns and parallel parking (if that is done in CA) as the driver's seat is on the opposite side of the car in the US if you are learning in the UK but a few lessons in the US will bring you up to speed. Since you aren't planning on coming to the US anytime soon, I vote for taking a few lessons or having a friend let you use their car for the first few times in a large empty parking lot :thumbsup: