British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Should I keep trying to get my sister to become a US citizen? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/should-i-keep-trying-get-my-sister-become-us-citizen-927001/)

BellaE Aug 6th 2019 7:37 pm

Should I keep trying to get my sister to become a US citizen?

Hello everyone - haven't been here for a while! This forum was invaluable when I became a US citizen several years ago.
My siblings and I came to the US a very very very long time ago, somewhat after the unpleasantness with the colonies, but before the moon landing.... Some of you were not even thought of at the time I'm sure. Three of the four of us have become US citizens, but one sister is a hold-out, still on her green card and using a British passport to travel. She is married to a USC, and has adult USC children. As the US immigration system and CBP have become (ahem) more quirky, and as we come ever closer to Brexit, I feel that she really should become a USC. She travels frequently out of the US for her work as a scientist. On the other hand, she has never had so much as a parking ticket, and speaks with an (almost) American accent, and looks very ordinary, so she shouldn't have any concern about ICE - right?
So what do you think? Should I continue to be a bossy big sister and try to persuade her to take the plunge? What arguments should I use? Or should I try to maintain family concord and just keep my mouth shut?

BellaE Aug 6th 2019 7:39 pm

Re: Should I keep trying to get my sister to become a US citizen?

ooops, accidentally posted twice.

Novocastrian Aug 6th 2019 7:43 pm

[QUOTE=BellaE;12719644]Hello everyone - haven't been here for a while! This forum was invaluable when I became a US citizen several years ago.
My siblings and I came to the US a very very very long time ago, somewhat after the unpleasantness with the colonies, but before the moon landing.... Some of you were not even thought of at the time I'm sure. Three of the four of us have become US citizens, but one sister is a hold-out, still on her green card and using a British passport to travel. She is married to a USC, and has adult USC children. As the US immigration system and CBP have become (ahem) more quirky, and as we come ever closer to Brexit, I feel that she really should become a USC. She travels frequently out of the US for her work as a scientist. On the other hand, she has never had so much as a parking ticket, and speaks with an (almost) American accent, and looks very ordinary, so she shouldn't have any concern about ICE - right?
So what do you think? Should I continue to be a bossy big sister and try to persuade her to take the plunge? What arguments should I use? Or should I try to maintain family concord and just keep my mouth shut?[/QUOTE]

This.

BellaE Aug 6th 2019 8:09 pm

got it!

Jerseygirl Aug 6th 2019 8:15 pm

Please do not open duplicate threads.

Thread closed.