Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Should I keep trying to get my sister to become a US citizen?

Should I keep trying to get my sister to become a US citizen?

Old Aug 10th 2019, 5:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Should I keep trying to get my sister to become a US citizen?

To me the scariest thing about travelling internationally while on a green card is that you do not have automatic right of re-entry into the US. I found this out when I was detained by US immigration at Toronto's Pearson airport about 15 years ago before I became a USC - my name was shared by someone who was on a watch list. All you can do is make sure that your sister is fully informed and then let her decide for herself. This may be useful: https://citizenpath.com/internationa...n-card-travel/
Old Aug 10th 2019, 11:13 pm
BE Irregular

RICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BellaE
Hello everyone - haven't been here for a while! This forum was invaluable when I became a US citizen several years ago.
My siblings and I came to the US a very very very long time ago, somewhat after the unpleasantness with the colonies, but before the moon landing.... Some of you were not even thought of at the time I'm sure. Three of the four of us have become US citizens, but one sister is a hold-out, still on her green card and using a British passport to travel. She is married to a USC, and has adult USC children. As the US immigration system and CBP have become (ahem) more quirky, and as we come ever closer to Brexit, I feel that she really should become a USC. She travels frequently out of the US for her work as a scientist. On the other hand, she has never had so much as a parking ticket, and speaks with an (almost) American accent, and looks very ordinary, so she shouldn't have any concern about ICE - right?
So what do you think? Should I continue to be a bossy big sister and try to persuade her to take the plunge? What arguments should I use? Or should I try to maintain family concord and just keep my mouth shut?
She is a scientist, she can make her own decisions. One thing to consider as she travels a lot, that she will need to document where and when, and there will be a period between oath ceremony and getting a US passport when she will be essentially undocumented and land locked.
Maybe she has UK security clearance that prevents dual citizenship. She would not be allowed to tell you..
Old Aug 10th 2019, 11:26 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RICH
She is a scientist, she can make her own decisions. One thing to consider as she travels a lot, that she will need to document where and when, and there will be a period between oath ceremony and getting a US passport when she will be essentially undocumented and land locked.
Maybe she has UK security clearance that prevents dual citizenship. She would not be allowed to tell you..
My husband had his PP expedited...took around 24 hours.
Old Aug 11th 2019, 12:42 am
BE Irregular

RICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
My husband had his PP expedited...took around 24 hours.
how long did it take to list numerous travels abroad? Not that a secret agent would have to worry about such things😀
Old Aug 11th 2019, 12:51 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RICH
how long did it take to list numerous travels abroad? Not that a secret agent would have to worry about such things😀
Ssshhhhh. I told you that in confidence.
Old Aug 13th 2019, 3:34 pm
Forum Regular

BigK is an unknown quantity at this point

Anything can change at any time. She can be involved in a crime, or she messes up some paperwork, gets in trouble in another country, becomes rude with an officer, smokes pot and gets caught, pisses of the wrong trump supporting govt official, or the rules change. But I'm sure she is smart enough to know all this already and doesn't care. Maybe she thinks that she will move back to the UK if she is denied her GC renewal