Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Should I keep trying to get my sister to become a US citizen?

Should I keep trying to get my sister to become a US citizen?

Old Aug 6th 2019, 7:02 pm
Forum Regular

BellaE has a reputation beyond reputeBellaE has a reputation beyond reputeBellaE has a reputation beyond reputeBellaE has a reputation beyond reputeBellaE has a reputation beyond reputeBellaE has a reputation beyond reputeBellaE has a reputation beyond reputeBellaE has a reputation beyond reputeBellaE has a reputation beyond reputeBellaE has a reputation beyond reputeBellaE has a reputation beyond repute
Question Should I keep trying to get my sister to become a US citizen?

Hello everyone - haven't been here for a while! This forum was invaluable when I became a US citizen several years ago.
My siblings and I came to the US a very very very long time ago, somewhat after the unpleasantness with the colonies, but before the moon landing.... Some of you were not even thought of at the time I'm sure. Three of the four of us have become US citizens, but one sister is a hold-out, still on her green card and using a British passport to travel. She is married to a USC, and has adult USC children. As the US immigration system and CBP have become (ahem) more quirky, and as we come ever closer to Brexit, I feel that she really should become a USC. She travels frequently out of the US for her work as a scientist. On the other hand, she has never had so much as a parking ticket, and speaks with an (almost) American accent, and looks very ordinary, so she shouldn't have any concern about ICE - right?
So what do you think? Should I continue to be a bossy big sister and try to persuade her to take the plunge? What arguments should I use? Or should I try to maintain family concord and just keep my mouth shut?
Old Aug 6th 2019, 7:33 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Should I keep trying to get my sister to become a US citizen?

IMO, the decision is hers. No need to push her.

Rene
Old Aug 6th 2019, 7:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

neill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond repute

The worst thing to come from Brexit (if it goes to WTO agreements) will make travelling to the EU on a British passport as bureaucratic as having an American passport. Don't see how it will much affect travel anywhere else.
Old Aug 6th 2019, 8:01 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

She’s a big girl, let her make her own decisions, in her own time. It really has nothing to do with you.
Old Aug 6th 2019, 8:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

In March we went on a cruise through the Panama Canal and one day had coffee with an American man traveling with his mother who was very elderly and not with him at the time we were having coffee. He said that his wife of 30 years could not be with them because her Green Card renewal had been rejected, the appeal had been rejected and they had now hired an immigration lawyer. She had arrived in the USA as a child 52 years ago and was going through the routine process of renewing her Green Card for the 5th time when she got a letter saying imply that the application was rejected. No explanation, and no explanation why the appeal was rejected.

A few days later we heard a similar story from another lady whose friend had just had her renewal application rejected after 50 years living in the USA. She had appealed the result and was awaiting the appeal decision.

Green Cards are not a guarantee as even without any felonies the INS can simply reject renewal applications.
Old Aug 6th 2019, 8:14 pm
Forum Regular

BellaE has a reputation beyond reputeBellaE has a reputation beyond reputeBellaE has a reputation beyond reputeBellaE has a reputation beyond reputeBellaE has a reputation beyond reputeBellaE has a reputation beyond reputeBellaE has a reputation beyond reputeBellaE has a reputation beyond reputeBellaE has a reputation beyond reputeBellaE has a reputation beyond reputeBellaE has a reputation beyond repute

wow, that is scary.
Old Aug 6th 2019, 8:18 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by durham_lad
In March we went on a cruise through the Panama Canal and one day had coffee with an American man traveling with his mother who was very elderly and not with him at the time we were having coffee. He said that his wife of 30 years could not be with them because her Green Card renewal had been rejected, the appeal had been rejected and they had now hired an immigration lawyer. She had arrived in the USA as a child 52 years ago and was going through the routine process of renewing her Green Card for the 5th time when she got a letter saying imply that the application was rejected. No explanation, and no explanation why the appeal was rejected.

A few days later we heard a similar story from another lady whose friend had just had her renewal application rejected after 50 years living in the USA. She had appealed the result and was awaiting the appeal decision.

Green Cards are not a guarantee as even without any felonies the INS can simply reject renewal applications.
In my 18 years in the US I have never heard of that.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Aug 6th 2019 at 8:20 pm.
Old Aug 6th 2019, 8:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
In my 18 years in the US I have never heard of that.
We moved to the USA in 1987 and this is the first time we have ever heard of something like this. But then again we have never had an administration so anti immigrant as this one.
Old Aug 6th 2019, 11:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

Olly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond repute

That story sounds strange, even if your green card expires you're still a LPR so the renewal of the plastic card is really a formality.

It's even possible to board a plane back to the US with an expired 10 year green card.
Old Aug 6th 2019, 11:10 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by Olly_
That story sounds strange, even if your green card expires you're still a LPR so the renewal of the plastic card is really a formality.

It's even possible to board a plane back to the US with an expired 10 year green card.
That’s what I thought. Plus...I thought you had the right to appear before an immigration judge.
Old Aug 7th 2019, 12:29 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

5 Top Reasons Why a Green Card Renewal Can Be Denied

There is no appeal of the decision. You can file to have the case reopened but you cannot file an appeal.

https://learn.simplecitizen.com/2017...ions-rejected/
Old Aug 7th 2019, 12:30 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

May sound strange but it is indeed possible. See above link.
Old Aug 7th 2019, 12:49 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by Rete
5 Top Reasons Why a Green Card Renewal Can Be Denied

There is no appeal of the decision. You can file to have the case reopened but you cannot file an appeal.

https://learn.simplecitizen.com/2017...ions-rejected/
Thank you for that.
Old Aug 7th 2019, 7:18 am
BE Forum Addict

Maybe, but this family decided that the wife was not going on the cruise until after she had appeared before an immigration judge. Border control recently detained a US citizen for 23 days who had not even left the country despite him being in possession of his Texas driving licence and a copy of his birth certificate.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...etained-texas/

They were asked for papers. And Galicia had plenty, including a wallet-sized Texas birth certificate, a Texas ID card and Social Security card, Galan said.
Old Aug 7th 2019, 7:20 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
That’s what I thought. Plus...I thought you had the right to appear before an immigration judge.
This application process had been going on for 2 years and they had hired an immigration lawyer and were waiting for a trial date to see an immigration judge.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.