Reload this Page >

Should I have told someone?

Should I have told someone?

Old Mar 1st 2010, 3:59 am
Just Joined

Bufordbrit will become famous soon enough
Default Should I have told someone?

Hello Everyone,
I have been reading posts on these pages for quite sometime (boy have you given me some hilarious evenings sitting at the computer) and have often gotten answers to my own questions from previous postings. I would however be grateful if you could help me directly now. I am a PR living in the US since Sept 2005 married to a USC. It was a long and time consuming process to get here as you all know and after all this time, the penny suddenly dropped and I realize I should maybe have told someone I was leaving the UK permanently i.e. the Inland Revenue. I hadn't worked in the UK since 1988 being a housewife and mother. After my divorce in 2002 I lived off my divorce settlement for the period before moving here in 2005. I have some savings in a bank in UK still. I am not entitled to any tax refund for sure lol but wonder if I would be in trouble for not telling them. I am a little worried about going back to the UK with this problem outstanding. I would appreciate any help or advice you can give. I am not sure exactly which category this fits into so if it is in the wrong place I apologize. Many thanks.
Old Mar 1st 2010, 5:14 am
BE Enthusiast

henryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Should I have told someone?

You should file P85, but I don't think they will be too bothered that it's late. I wouldn't worry about it if I were you.
Old Mar 1st 2010, 5:20 am
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

Yes - if you don't have any income in the UK and you don't have any unpaid taxes they don't really care.

I left 23 years ago and never "told" anyone ...
Old Mar 1st 2010, 5:24 am
Just Joined

Thank you guys for answering so quickly. Guess I was worrying about nothing. md95065 can I assume that you have been back and forth without any problems?
Old Mar 1st 2010, 5:34 am
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bufordbrit
Thank you guys for answering so quickly. Guess I was worrying about nothing. md95065 can I assume that you have been back and forth without any problems?
They're not going to arrest you at the airport, if that's what you're thinking!
Old Mar 1st 2010, 5:46 am
Just Joined

Lol well I was picturing myself being frog marched through Heathrow and thrown in the back of a police car or not being let in at all lol. I appreciate you taking the time to put my mind at rest.
Old Mar 1st 2010, 3:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

TimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond repute

You have a legal right to enter the UK. Unpaid taxes is not a reason to refuse you entry.

- Tim
Old Mar 1st 2010, 4:47 pm
Just Joined

Thanks Tim, I know there is no outstanding taxes it was just that I hadn't let them know I had emigrated. So now I am thinking should I bother at this late stage with the P85 or just let it go? I am kinda thinking let it slide. Its kinda cool getting all this advice so quickly...I do appreciate it. Have always been outside looking in on BE but am really pleased I have joined.
Old Mar 1st 2010, 4:53 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome aboard, BB
Go check out the USA and Trailer Park forums for a laugh and other non-immigration info too.

I think the main point of the P85 is getting tax *back* that you'd already paid in (for that year) but it's worth studying up on what your pension situation is etc. My DH never did the P85 either; he never told anyone he was leaving the UK permanentely.
Old Mar 1st 2010, 5:09 pm
Just Joined

Thanks meauxna for the advice and the welcome
I hadn't thought about the pension...just assumed I wouldn't be entitled but I will look into that. I have a frozen personal pension that by the time I am eligible will probably buy me one weeks groceries at Walmart lol.
Old Mar 1st 2010, 5:12 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks meauxna for the advice and the welcome
I hadn't thought about the pension...just assumed I wouldn't be entitled but I will look into that. I have a frozen personal pension that by the time I am eligible will probably buy me one weeks groceries at Walmart lol.
I should have moved your post to the USA forum (and will now); you'll get more info there.

As you've been here long enough+ you might think now about naturalizing to US citizenship. You can retain your British citizenship/passport, and there are some advantages that make it a sensible move.
Old Mar 1st 2010, 5:24 pm
Just Joined

Ok thanks for that. I am planning on applying to become a citizen. I think I needed a break from the whole immigration treadmill and as citizenship isn't a requirement I kinda put it on the back burner but I have been boning up on the 100 questions so I need to take the plunge and fill out the forms. Hmmm this leads me to another question lol. I had an immigration attorney throughout the whole process of getting here. Would you advise me to get his expertise again or is the N400 straightforward for even me to follow lol?
Old Mar 1st 2010, 6:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

henryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond repute

[haha, now it should be back in the Immigration and Visas forum ]

Depends on your immigration history. If there are no "complications", N-400 by yourself is perfectly doable. If there are issues, a lawyer can be very helpful. Unfortunately you may not know whether there are issues without consulting an attorney. Bit of a catch-22, eh? Plenty of people do naturalise without legal assistance.
Old Mar 2nd 2010, 2:08 pm
Just Joined

Thanks Henry thats very helpful. I think I shall go it alone this time as I have checked out the form and it does seem straightforward. Just have to pluck up the courage to send it in now. I do appreciate everyones time.
Old Mar 2nd 2010, 4:38 pm

Thanks Henry thats very helpful. I think I shall go it alone this time as I have checked out the form and it does seem straightforward. Just have to pluck up the courage to send it in now. I do appreciate everyones time.
haha.. it won't hurt a bit!
Well, the application fee will sting a little. But the security is priceless.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.