Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Should I file AOS in person or by mail?

Should I file AOS in person or by mail?

Old Apr 29th 2002, 3:49 pm
Forum Regular

khabibiuf is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Should I file AOS in person or by mail?

Hi all,

My wife and I live in Columbia, SC. She will be applying for AOS sometimes this week. Is it better to apply in person or through the mail. I believe there are 2 offices we can go to (greer office or the Charleston office). Anybody have personal stories about these offices and any tips?

- khabibiuf
Old Apr 29th 2002, 6:10 pm
Shelley

Default Re: Should I file AOS in person or by mail?

According to the Charleston INS office website - which also has the address for the
Greer office on it
http://www.ins.usdoj.gov/graphics/fi...on/aboutus.htm You can mail or
bring in all forms For personal experiences at both these offices see this website
http://www.kamya.com/aos/scarolina.html#charleston Take Care. Shelley

"khabibiuf" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > Hi all,
    >
    > My wife and I live in Columbia, SC. She will be applying for AOS sometimes this
    > week. Is it better to apply in person or through the mail. I believe there are 2
    > offices we can go to (greer office or the Charleston office). Anybody have personal
    > stories about these offices and any tips?
    >
    > - khabibiuf
    >
    >
    >
    > --
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Old Apr 29th 2002, 7:22 pm
Forum Regular

Does anybody know the office hours for the greer office?
Old Apr 30th 2002, 12:26 am
Forum Regular

smartiegirl88 is on a distinguished road

Hey, I applied for AOS at Charleston in September 2000. I am still waiting for my PR stamp. I have my experience posted on Kamya and if you search this newsgroup you will find it too. My husband and I filed in person, we got a little cash receipt that is very easy to lose if you're not careful!! This is basically the only thing you get to prove you filed it at all if you file in person.

I have no idea whether it is better to file in person or to file by mail....we had our AOS interview valentine's day this year and my original file was still in Atlanta. SO instead of getting my stamp, I got a 'we'll send you a letter when we get it'. WELL, needless to say, I still haven't heard anything. I even had to reapply for an EAD at the beginning of April because I'm worried it will run out before I get my stamp. I will probably have to apply for AP again as well.

The only consolation is, the longer it takes, the closer our 2nd anniversary gets- our 2nd anniversary is August 1st and if they tell me to come back after that, I hopefully will get a 10 year stamp instead of just a 2 year conditional PR. Knowing our luck, they will tell us to come back a week before our 2nd anniversary!!

Good luck with everything
Old Apr 30th 2002, 3:30 am
BE Enthusiast

tara is an unknown quantity at this point

We did a walk in filing for our K-1 AOS thru Greer in January. That puts you interviewing there also. Highly recommended, no fuss office in our opinion. Our info is recorded on the above mentioned site also.
The woman in charge of Greer couldn't be nicer, she will "preview" all of your info, put it in the correct order, do the hole punching (top tabs) and give you the receipt. Don't forget to bring personal checks or money orders for payment. It's a no cash office.

i don't remember the exact times of opening, but seem to recall they let the last person in at about 2PM.

From Columbia, take the I 85-S
take the SC-14 exit (exit # 56) toward Greer/Pelham,
turn right on to SC-14
then a fairly quick left onto W.Phillips RD.
Approx. a mile further there is an outside office complex with signs, turn left into complex.
The INS office is not on the frontage group of buildings but in the midline. But don't worry you'll find it quite easily.
Old Apr 30th 2002, 10:10 am
Mister Heartbre

tara <[email protected]> wrote in news:[email protected]:

> We did a walk in filing for our K-1 AOS thru Greer in January. That puts you
    > interviewing there also. Highly recommended, no fuss office in our opinion. Our
    > info is recorded on the above mentioned site also. The woman in charge of Greer
    > couldn't be nicer, she will "preview" all of your info, put it in the correct
    > order, do the hole punching (top tabs) and give you the receipt. Don't forget to
    > bring personal checks or money orders for payment. It's a no cash office.
    >
    > i don't remember the exact times of opening, but seem to recall they let the last
    > person in at about 2PM.
    >
    > From Columbia, take the I 85-S take the SC-14 exit (exit # 56) toward Greer/Pelham,
    > turn right on to SC-14 then a fairly quick left onto
    > W.Phillips RD. Approx. a mile further there is an outside office complex with
    > signs, turn left into complex. The INS office is not on the frontage group of
    > buildings but in the midline. But don't worry you'll find it quite easily.
    >

This is a HUGE help to us - we'll be living in Greenville, SC - just a few miles down
the road from Greer. Thanks! Dave.

Old Apr 30th 2002, 2:21 pm
Forum Regular

Are there usually long lines at the greer office? I know at many other places that you have to get there real early.

- khabibiuf