Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Should I apply for US jobs from the UK or wait until I arrive..(I'm a US Citizen!)

Should I apply for US jobs from the UK or wait until I arrive..(I'm a US Citizen!)

Old Apr 13th 2017, 1:03 pm
Just Joined

jamel0226 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Should I apply for US jobs from the UK or wait until I arrive..(I'm a US Citizen!)

Hi guys,

I have just had my Social Security Number come through the post, after having visited the US embassy for the required face to face application/interview.

I already have a US passport, I gained US citizenship through my American father who now resides in London with the rest of my family.

I am aiming to move to the Los Angeles,California in September/October. (depending on how soon I can secure a job)

I just want to know tips for applying for US jobs from abroad with UK qualifications and UK Finance/Legal experience.

Most of the threads I've seen on that are job related on here focus more on the difficulty in finding sponsorship (Luckily I don't have that issue)

I am looking for job within the financial/legal sector (Not an Actor)

Was anyone successful in applying for a US job from abroad with or without sponsorship?

Are companies more than happy to arrange a skype interview with their foreign applicants?

Do they take foreign applicants with US citizenship seriously?

Once I move I'll have a few months to adjust to LA life, (I'll also have a place to stay) and a good amount of money saved, and as said I am a USC so I don't desperately need a job.

But it would help to have your opinion on these things so I can motivate myself to take applying for jobs from abroad more seriously.

I will definitely be on the ball when I arrive in LA considering I will be immediately available for interview.

Thanks in advance and Happy Easter!

Last edited by jamel0226; Apr 13th 2017 at 1:06 pm. Reason: Grammar, clarification
Old Apr 13th 2017, 2:29 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Should I apply for US jobs from the UK or wait until I arrive..(I'm a US Citizen!

What type of employment are you looking for in the legal or the financial sector? Are you an attorney? A Certified Public Accountant? A bookkeeper? A bank teller? A paralegal? You need to be a bit more specific as to the type of work you want and what you are qualified for.
Old Apr 13th 2017, 2:37 pm
Just Joined

jamel0226 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Should I apply for US jobs from the UK or wait until I arrive..(I'm a US Citizen!

Originally Posted by Rete
What type of employment are you looking for in the legal or the financial sector? Are you an attorney? A Certified Public Accountant? A bookkeeper? A bank teller? A paralegal? You need to be a bit more specific as to the type of work you want and what you are qualified for.
Apologies Rete, I work in Regulatory Compliance / Anti Money Laundering for a global law firm (Unfortunately their only Californian office is San Fransisco). I hold a bachelor degree in Law and Business (graduated 4 years ago).

From what I've learned I understand that Anti Money Laundering is governed by the Secrecy Act (BSA), and The USA PATRIOT Act, and mostly affects Financial institutions/Banks.

This is the type of role I am looking for:- https://afex-openhire.silkroad.com/e...obBoardId=1112

Last edited by jamel0226; Apr 13th 2017 at 2:45 pm.
Old Apr 13th 2017, 3:52 pm
Forum Regular

fbf2006 has a reputation beyond reputefbf2006 has a reputation beyond reputefbf2006 has a reputation beyond reputefbf2006 has a reputation beyond reputefbf2006 has a reputation beyond reputefbf2006 has a reputation beyond reputefbf2006 has a reputation beyond reputefbf2006 has a reputation beyond reputefbf2006 has a reputation beyond reputefbf2006 has a reputation beyond reputefbf2006 has a reputation beyond repute

That's actually a good background you have. AML/regulatory compliance is huge right now. I don't know if your insistence on the LA area would make the job hunt slower or not. You would probably end up in a bank/financial services firm or law firm. I personally don't see why you can't start job hunting now. At worst, your resume would be ignored, at best, you might be contacted.
Old Apr 13th 2017, 4:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

carcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fbf2006
That's actually a good background you have. AML/regulatory compliance is huge right now. I don't know if your insistence on the LA area would make the job hunt slower or not. You would probably end up in a bank/financial services firm or law firm. I personally don't see why you can't start job hunting now. At worst, your resume would be ignored, at best, you might be contacted.

I agree with this, and would add, do you have a Los Angeles address you can put on your CV, like that of a relative (or a sim card/mobile that uses an LA area code)? It will help, as some companies might just bin your CV on the basis of you not being local.