Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Should Cell phones be banned from behind the wheel?

Should Cell phones be banned from behind the wheel?

Old Feb 16th 2010, 2:02 pm
Account Closed

goldenstate31 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Should Cell phones be banned from behind the wheel?

Most people know if they're driving skills crumble behind the wheel or not. It's when people drive particularly bad on phones and should hang up their phone but don't Thats what really bugs me
I cant drive and use a phone at the same time my brain goes to mush, but my husband always does and it doesn't effect my husband at all!
Old Feb 16th 2010, 6:47 pm
Forum Regular

cpe111 is a glorious beacon of lightcpe111 is a glorious beacon of lightcpe111 is a glorious beacon of lightcpe111 is a glorious beacon of lightcpe111 is a glorious beacon of lightcpe111 is a glorious beacon of lightcpe111 is a glorious beacon of lightcpe111 is a glorious beacon of lightcpe111 is a glorious beacon of lightcpe111 is a glorious beacon of lightcpe111 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Dan725
They don't have them welded to their ears this way on....for some reason, the fashion seems to be to put the phone on speaker, and hold it about a foot from ones head.
Saw a nice one the other day - temporary hands free configuration - the driver had her cellphone taped to the steering wheel directly over the airbag. I can only imagine what her ribcage would look like if the airbag had deployed. Since the gas fills the bag at between 150-250 mph I would assume the cellphone would be travelling at a similar speed directly towards the middle of her chest.
Old Feb 16th 2010, 7:40 pm
Shocked of Redmond

nettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cpe111
Saw a nice one the other day - temporary hands free configuration - the driver had her cellphone taped to the steering wheel directly over the airbag. I can only imagine what her ribcage would look like if the airbag had deployed. Since the gas fills the bag at between 150-250 mph I would assume the cellphone would be travelling at a similar speed directly towards the middle of her chest.
Old Feb 16th 2010, 7:58 pm
Are we there yet?

Trixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond repute

I'm loving the steering wheel lap top tray comments...

But back to the point in hand or not in hand...

A friends brother was killed in the UK by a truck driver texting. a whole family was ripped apart.
I rarely use my phone at all in the car, unless I start the call in the parking lot and am hands free, as I couldn't live with myself if I caused an accident.

I did hear a suggestion that I thought viable. By programming the phones to terminate calls that have used more than 1 cell phone tower. Meaning if you make or take a call on one tower and travel into another cell tower area the call would terminate, either immediatly, or after a period of time... ie 30 seconds.
This would allow for quick calls, but not for extended or complex calls.

The programming would affect people who live on the cusp of 2 towers, so maybe the threshhold might have to be 3 cell phone towers.
Old Feb 16th 2010, 8:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

Philgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Trixie_b

I did hear a suggestion that I thought viable. By programming the phones to terminate calls that have used more than 1 cell phone tower. Meaning if you make or take a call on one tower and travel into another cell tower area the call would terminate, either immediatly, or after a period of time... ie 30 seconds.
This would allow for quick calls, but not for extended or complex calls.

The programming would affect people who live on the cusp of 2 towers, so maybe the threshhold might have to be 3 cell phone towers.
For those of us on AT&T we wouldn't notice the difference - calls frequently get dropped on hand-over between cells anyhow. That's what the redial button is for.

Of course, this would never get implemented as it penalizes non-drivers in cars, trains, busses etc too.
Old Feb 16th 2010, 8:30 pm
Are we there yet?

Trixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Philgr
For those of us on AT&T we wouldn't notice the difference - calls frequently get dropped on hand-over between cells anyhow. That's what the redial button is for.

Of course, this would never get implemented as it penalizes non-drivers in cars, trains, busses etc too.
hahaha that wouldn't affect anyone in california I think....

I do recognise that.. Maybe there could be a passenger mode on the phone - I know that everyone would turn it on. but if you were caught using a phone in your car with your cell on passenger mode, the penatly should be huge.

Just a thought..
Old Feb 16th 2010, 11:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

Dan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cpe111
Ha, this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cl8QQFDHCok is what I think most people here need to be told about their beloved cellphones in general, not just driving..... Used to love this song when I was younger...

Last edited by Dan725; Feb 16th 2010 at 11:27 pm.