Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Should British Citizens get Green Card concessions due to the special relationship?

Should British Citizens get Green Card concessions due to the special relationship?

Old Jul 14th 2017, 4:06 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Should British Citizens get Green Card concessions due to the special relationshi

Originally Posted by durham_lad
Donald Trump has just said that the USA has a special relationship with France, their longest allies, pointing out that it was France who helped them defeat the British, and not a lot of people know that. (No Donald, you are the only one who didn't know that )
Well it's true that the British abandoned the Revolutionary war to focus on dealing with Napoleon, .... then tried to come back in 1812 and pick up where they left off.
Old Jul 14th 2017, 8:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Should British Citizens get Green Card concessions due to the special relationshi

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Well it's true that the British abandoned the Revolutionary war to focus on dealing with Napoleon, .... then tried to come back in 1812 and pick up where they left off.
Exactly, only a few people know that. Trump is correct on who has the special relationship with the USA.
Old Jul 14th 2017, 8:57 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by durham_lad
Exactly, only a few people know that. Trump is correct on who has the special relationship with the USA.
Yup. No-one. I give you Freedom Fries.

However Macron, whose wife is very well preserved and beautiful, was very SMART in giving Trump a parade. Sad. Very sad.

Last edited by Novocastrian; Jul 14th 2017 at 9:00 pm.
Old Jul 14th 2017, 8:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_
NAFTA provides for TN-1 and TN-2 and there is no quota on those two, but Canadians and Mexicans still have to go through the same immigration procedure. So it's really easy to get into the US and work there, but remaining there permanently is still hard.
Although don't you think that the TN route makes it easier to get PR in the US if that's your long term goal? Just getting into the country to take up legal employment and gain experience is a big step forward towards PR. By definition, you're in the country working in a role that needs to be filled. Probably also making connections with other people.

I was eligible for TN but came in via H1B (although I'm also a Canadian citizen, I was living in the UK at the time and did not want to risk a transatlantic move on TN status so I insisted that the employer help me get an H1B instead). Once in the US and working (and TN is easier to get than a H1B), I do think it was easier for me to become a PR eventually. For my GC application, the employer had to advertise my job internally and externally to see if there were any qualified USCs or PRs willing to take the job. The employer can tailor the ads (including placement) and job description in such a way to ensure that you're almost certainly the only qualified applicant under the given criteria.

Last edited by MarylandNed; Jul 14th 2017 at 9:00 pm.
Old Jul 14th 2017, 9:45 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
.... However Macron, whose wife is very well preserved .....
Sun-dried, by the look of it, though I can see why she might have a natural affinity with Donald Trump.