Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Short trip back to UK - observations

Short trip back to UK - observations

Old Oct 29th 2010, 6:03 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Short trip back to UK - observations

Originally Posted by Steerpike
I'm a purist ... pure latte - just espresso and foamed milk (no sugar, no sprinkles, no extras). I got addicted to this in Italy. If you get the foaming just right - the texture of the foam can be amazing. Not unlike, perhaps, the 'head' on a Guinness or certain other beers/ales/etc. Each sip brings just a touch of the 'head' with it, all the way to the bottom of the glass/cup, IF ... it's poured (Guinness) or foamed (milk) right. 95% of places don't know how to do it so maybe you've never had the experience . I recently paid $600 for a machine that has the 'umph' to do the foaming correctly (those cheapie home jobbies don't have the steam pressure to do the job).
$600.00 for a coffee machine??

I'm glad I'm a tea drinker, it's only $5 for the teabags and $2.99 for the milk

Of course, you would probably laugh at the money I've spent on musical instruments over the years but there you go
Old Oct 29th 2010, 6:12 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
I know! Good price, huh?
Old Oct 29th 2010, 6:15 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by meauxna
I know! Good price, huh?
Given that I rarely drink coffee anymore, and when I do it is black with no sugar, not really
Old Oct 29th 2010, 6:17 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

I know! Good price, huh?
Thank gawd we drink black coffee.

Given that I rarely drink coffee anymore, and when I do it is black with no sugar, not really
Ditto.
Old Oct 29th 2010, 7:01 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Thank gawd we drink black coffee.

Ditto.
Excuse me, Ms Handbag? Different priorities.

Sultan, you're gonna be one of those pure vegans soon, I'm keeping my eye on you.
Old Oct 29th 2010, 7:21 pm
I have a comma problem

Sultan, you're gonna be one of those pure vegans soon, I'm keeping my eye on you.
Oh, don't worry, there's no danger of that happening!

I was just mildly surprised they can be that expensive. We were looking at a new cooker the other day that didn't even cost that much
Old Oct 29th 2010, 7:45 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Just think how much of decent single malt that would have bought. At least 3 bottles.
Old Oct 29th 2010, 7:51 pm

Originally Posted by lansbury
Just think how much of decent single malt that would have bought. At least 3 bottles.
Ah yes, the season approaches...
Old Oct 29th 2010, 7:54 pm
I have a comma problem

Originally Posted by lansbury
Bloody hell! Good thing I don't drink whisky as well then
Old Oct 29th 2010, 11:59 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Yorkieabroad
had to laugh this morning at the local coffee shop - lady in front ordered a 24oz vanilla latte with extra vanilla, 4 pumps of caramel, 2 splenda and whipped cream, then turned to her friend and said "i love the coffee in here - they make the best espresso in town"....err like she could taste it with all that cr@p on top - may as well have been folgers instant...!
yes, it's people like that that need to be dipped in tar and feathered for causing huge queues

And seriously, after adding all that crud, to ask for low fat milk or a sugar substitute just makes me laugh...it's like the balloon asking for a diet 64oz Coke at a McD's
Old Oct 30th 2010, 12:02 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

I'm a purist ... pure latte - just espresso and foamed milk (no sugar, no sprinkles, no extras). I got addicted to this in Italy. If you get the foaming just right - the texture of the foam can be amazing. Not unlike, perhaps, the 'head' on a Guinness or certain other beers/ales/etc. Each sip brings just a touch of the 'head' with it, all the way to the bottom of the glass/cup, IF ... it's poured (Guinness) or foamed (milk) right. 95% of places don't know how to do it so maybe you've never had the experience . I recently paid $600 for a machine that has the 'umph' to do the foaming correctly (those cheapie home jobbies don't have the steam pressure to do the job).
I've had plenty of decent coffee in various places, latte is one thing, but I prefer espresso straight if I drink it...or straight coffee, maybe a splash of milk.

It's just become very pretentious these days though and tele shows haven't helped there.

Best espresso still comes from a Bialetti stove top jobby, cheapest way to make it too.
Old Oct 30th 2010, 12:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

I'm glad I'm a tea drinker, it's only $5 for the teabags and $2.99 for the milk

Of course, you would probably laugh at the money I've spent on musical instruments over the years but there you go
We all have our weaknesses! I spend next to nothing on clothes, drink Miller Genuine Draft beer, wine under $10/bottle, and buy a new car about once every 15 years. My only expensive hobby is photography, and even with that I've migrated to smaller, more portable cameras and don't get into lens collecting. This is what I have - including the $350 grinder . You can easily spend $2,000+ ... (that will be my next upgrade )
Old Oct 30th 2010, 1:14 am

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute

We all have our weaknesses! I spend next to nothing on clothes, drink Miller Genuine Draft beer, wine under $10/bottle, and buy a new car about once every 15 years. My only expensive hobby is photography, and even with that I've migrated to smaller, more portable cameras and don't get into lens collecting. This is what I have - including the $350 grinder . You can easily spend $2,000+ ... (that will be my next upgrade )
Ah thats interesting Steerpike. We've just moved to the Bay Area and hubby is really into photography. Do you know of any good places to go and shoot, he quite likes weird derelict type buildings where the light is interesting. Drop me a PM if you can suggest anything.

I know what you mean about the cost, he has his eye on a very expensive lense at the moment
Old Oct 30th 2010, 1:17 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Excuse me, Ms Handbag? Different priorities.

Excuse me...handbags are a necessity...so are all my other weaknesses.
Old Oct 30th 2010, 1:24 am
BE Forum Addict

joto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
I've had plenty of decent coffee in various places, latte is one thing, but I prefer espresso straight if I drink it...or straight coffee, maybe a splash of milk.

It's just become very pretentious these days though and tele shows haven't helped there.

Best espresso still comes from a Bialetti stove top jobby, cheapest way to make it too.
I like the Bialetti method as well for espresso. I get the Illy or Lavazza beans or grounds for it, but is the stuff sold over here made for American tastes or is it all the same where ever you get it. I wish I could afford the $600 machine for a decent cappuchino.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.