Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Short term rents in the UK

Wikiposts

Short term rents in the UK

Old Feb 11th 2013, 9:07 pm

nonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Short term rents in the UK

Hi , I'm going back to the UK on holiday with my family this year and I don't want to be a burden on my parents for the whole time I'm there . I've been looking at places to rent for just one month but it seems a lot of places only do a minimum 6 months etc . Anyone know of any website to visit that rents places out by the month for a month only . I'm looking for a two bedroom flat .
Old Feb 11th 2013, 9:08 pm

nonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Short term rents in the UK

Should have added I want to be in London.
Old Feb 11th 2013, 9:08 pm

And not too pricey either !!
Old Feb 11th 2013, 9:10 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nonthaburi
Hi , I'm going back to the UK on holiday with my family this year and I don't want to be a burden on my parents for the whole time I'm there . I've been looking at places to rent for just one month but it seems a lot of places only do a minimum 6 months etc . Anyone know of any website to visit that rents places out by the month for a month only . I'm looking for a two bedroom flat .
You will need to look at holiday lets. Ordinary lets are normally 6 months minimum term and need at least one months notice.
Old Feb 12th 2013, 4:23 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

You could try airbnb.com I've used them quite a few times and it's always been a good experience.
Old Feb 12th 2013, 5:55 am
BE Forum Addict

fulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond repute

another website is vrbo.com. I've rented 6 different homes and NEVER been disappointed. The rent usually includes everything so if you look just look first at what is included. I am in California right now and house normally rents for $1200 a week or $2500 for the month. I chose the month and even got a discount on that. Also maybe post this on tripadvisor for area you are looking in as there are many folks who could also help. By the way I know you are in the UK - just giving you my experience. Good luck..
Old Feb 12th 2013, 9:20 am
Back from India

pennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to behold

if you are coming in the University holidays you may be able to get a let in a halls of residence
Old Feb 12th 2013, 6:03 pm
She'll be right

Pom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond repute

You may have to look at other options rather than renting. I came back from a gap year and wanted to stay in London for 6-12 months and could not find anywhere that would take us for less than 12 months. I managed to twist the agencies arm and put a get out clause in the tenancy - we must stay for 6 months and after that we must give 2 months notice. Lucky we insisted on the clause because we got offered jobs in New Zealand 8 months later. Even then it didn't work totally in our favour because we moved out after 6 weeks of our 2 month notice and had to pay up until the 2 months any way

We have used airbnb in the past for both renting and hosting. Never had any problems. Just make sure you check the reviews!

Good luck!
Old Feb 12th 2013, 6:18 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fulwood
another website is vrbo.com. I've rented 6 different homes and NEVER been disappointed. The rent usually includes everything so if you look just look first at what is included. I am in California right now and house normally rents for $1200 a week or $2500 for the month. I chose the month and even got a discount on that. Also maybe post this on tripadvisor for area you are looking in as there are many folks who could also help. By the way I know you are in the UK - just giving you my experience. Good luck..
The OP is, in fact, in Saudi Arabia, and looking for somewhere in the UK, so perhaps your post wasn't as helpful as you intended?
Old Feb 12th 2013, 11:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

holly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond repute

It would probably be cheaper to pay your parents to go away to somewhere that they would like to be, and
have their home for only yourself and your family.
There are probably a million places in the world they would like to visit.
Old Feb 13th 2013, 2:56 am
Forum Regular

gailc is just really nicegailc is just really nicegailc is just really nicegailc is just really nicegailc is just really nicegailc is just really nicegailc is just really nicegailc is just really nice

Originally Posted by holly_1948
It would probably be cheaper to pay your parents to go away to somewhere that they would like to be, and
have their home for only yourself and your family.
There are probably a million places in the world they would like to visit.
Not a good option, Holly, when they are going to visit family.
Old Feb 13th 2013, 6:52 am
BE Forum Addict

holly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gailc
Not a good option, Holly, when they are going to visit family.
Well he wrote that the family were going to visit London.

But if the purpose of the trip is to visit family instead, then it makes sense to all meet up somewhere pleasant. Instead of London. But he was pretty specific about London in the later posting. There are zillions of options better than a short term rent in London (if there is no specific need to be in London, so obviously there must be such a need).

Of course, sometimes the obvious and best is impossible when in-laws enter the picture.

Last edited by holly_1948; Feb 13th 2013 at 6:54 am.
Old Feb 13th 2013, 9:21 am
Forum Regular

gailc is just really nicegailc is just really nicegailc is just really nicegailc is just really nicegailc is just really nicegailc is just really nicegailc is just really nicegailc is just really nice

Originally Posted by holly_1948
Well he wrote that the family were going to visit London.

But if the purpose of the trip is to visit family instead, then it makes sense to all meet up somewhere pleasant. Instead of London. But he was pretty specific about London in the later posting. There are zillions of options better than a short term rent in London (if there is no specific need to be in London, so obviously there must be such a need).

Of course, sometimes the obvious and best is impossible when in-laws enter the picture.
Definately if in-laws are involved - haha! At least mine
If you can afford it, it is the way to go anyway no matter well you get on with family. Short rents are so expensive though - at least any I have seen - and unless you are well off, you have no choice but to stay with family.
London I would think depending on the area would be more expensive than anywhere. I personally would prefer out in the country more - but that is me.
Old Feb 14th 2013, 7:46 am
BE Forum Addict

Karrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond repute

Coach house rentals do flats in London but by the week. I've used them and thought they were great. Other than that vrbo is a good bet, or halls of residence during holidays.
Old Feb 16th 2013, 5:01 pm

Thanks for all the replies , given me a few leads there . In the meantime I've got in touch with Foxtons and it seems they do do short term lets that could be for as little as a few weeks .
I did want to be in London to see family and friends . First time my mum meets my children so that was quite important . We'll probably go away somewhere else as well while we're there .
From what I've seen at the moment it looks like I'll be paying about 500 pounds a weeks minimum which isn't too bad .

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.