British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Short term health insurance (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/short-term-health-insurance-829749/)

amyjo Mar 27th 2014 4:46 am

Short term health insurance

Hi! Any suggestions for short term medical insurance for my son-in-law who is arriving on a CR 1 visa with my daughter at the end of April? She is a returning US citizen and will have a Blue Cross Blue Shield plan in place when she arrives. But BCBS says they can't insure her husband until he has proof of residence, in the form of his Social Security number, a drivers license, or a lease and a bill in his name. It's not enough for them that he has a visa, and will be issued a temporary green card at his POE. Of course he will apply for his SS number the day after he arrives, but in the few days before he receives his number, I don't want him to be uninsured. I was thinking of just the same kind of travel medical insurance that we have bought when he has come to visit, but I wondered if anyone else had any other ideas or could tell me what they have done when they or their partner/spouse moved over? Thanks!

BunnyGirl Mar 27th 2014 9:19 am

Re: Short term health insurance

Originally Posted by amyjo (Post 11192520)
Hi! Any suggestions for short term medical insurance for my son-in-law who is arriving on a CR 1 visa with my daughter at the end of April? She is a returning US citizen and will have a Blue Cross Blue Shield plan in place when she arrives. But BCBS says they can't insure her husband until he has proof of residence, in the form of his Social Security number, a drivers license, or a lease and a bill in his name. It's not enough for them that he has a visa, and will be issued a temporary green card at his POE. Of course he will apply for his SS number the day after he arrives, but in the few days before he receives his number, I don't want him to be uninsured. I was thinking of just the same kind of travel medical insurance that we have bought when he has come to visit, but I wondered if anyone else had any other ideas or could tell me what they have done when they or their partner/spouse moved over? Thanks!

I've seen www.insubuy.com mentioned on here a fair bit and the quotes seem reasonable, even for some of the higher coverage plans.

If you google immigrant health insurance you can do a bit of research yourself and find something you're happy with :)

civilservant Mar 27th 2014 10:14 am

Trust me; it'll take more then 'a few days' to get his SSN and green card. 3-5 weeks for the SSN is a more reasonable timeframe

Pulaski Mar 27th 2014 12:23 pm

Originally Posted by civilservant (Post 11192773)
Trust me; it'll take more then 'a few days' to get his SSN and green card. 3-5 weeks for the SSN is a more reasonable timeframe

The card, perhaps, but the number can (could?) be obtained from an SS office after less than a week. The green card may take around six weeks to come through.

civilservant Mar 27th 2014 12:24 pm

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 11192958)
The card, perhaps, but the number can (could?) be obtained from an SS office after less than a week.

Providing that the request is properly passed on - which it seems most of the time it isn't!

Bluegrass Lass Mar 27th 2014 12:40 pm

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 11192958)
The card, perhaps, but the number can (could?) be obtained from an SS office after less than a week. The green card may take around six weeks to come through.

Originally Posted by civilservant (Post 11192963)
Providing that the request is properly passed on - which it seems most of the time it isn't!

Exactly. The rule of thumb given to most new arrivals is to wait around 10days before going to the SSA office. It takes time for DHS to update the SSA's database. If you go to soon, then they have to send off for a verification which could put you into a limbo status. Better to just wait at least 7-10 days before going into the SSA office.

GeoffM Mar 27th 2014 4:04 pm

Have a look at the very last paragraph in this section of the Wiki which lists two providers for new immigrants (disclaimer: I wrote that bit!). Note that this is not full coverage - emergency only, and probably has low limits. He should get proper coverage ASAP. The usual high street travel insurance is NOT valid as he is not on holiday.

If things happen correctly at the border (and, I think, the "issue SS" box is ticked on one of those forms) then his SS number will be available in just a couple of business days (I arrived on a Thursday and the number was issued on the Monday). However, as others have said, he doesn't want to trigger a verification which sets things back by weeks. He just needs to ask if he has a number - not to do anything if it doesn't yet, at least not in the first few weeks.

MidAtlantic Mar 27th 2014 5:19 pm

OK it was a few years ago, but I got BCBS insurance without any of those requirements. Of course, things may have changed. I suggest calling again to make sure it wasn't just one customer service rep not understanding.

amyjo Mar 28th 2014 3:16 am

Thanks, all, for some really good suggestions. I, too wondered about the BCBS rep, if maybe she misunderstood. It seems pretty obvious that if he has his "green card" issued at the border, he is then a legal permanent resident. You would think that should be enough for them! I plan to call another agent tomorrow.
Especially grateful for the advice regarding the SS number. I would have had him heading over there in the first couple of days, but I think we may hold off for the first week, and then go inquire as to whether he hads one or not. But as you said, not trigger a verification.
I will definitely find some kind of insurance for him - way too risky without. I'll check out the Wiki link! Thanks so much! Will let you know what we find!

Keith S Mar 28th 2014 10:03 pm

Google "Patriot America" They provide Health Insurance plans for new immigrants. Not expensive either.

GeoffM Mar 29th 2014 5:00 pm

Blue Shield [California?] used to have a 6-month residency requirement. No idea if they still do.