British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   short term health insurance (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/short-term-health-insurance-703899/)

Flabound oneday Feb 5th 2011 1:15 pm

short term health insurance

has anyone moved over on an L1 or similar (ie non immigrant) and got their health insurance theirselves ? we are looking at something to cover us for 6-8 months until we either re-new our visa, obtain a GC or go back to the UK .

however its proving a mine field. so interested to know if anyone a) had a long term travel insurance from the Uk or b) picked up a good short term one here in the US.

eventually Mrs FB hopes to have cover through a job (nurse).

TIA

SanDiegogirl Feb 5th 2011 4:43 pm

Re: short term health insurance

If one moves to the US on an L1 (or similar) that usually means you are transferring from a job in the UK to a job in the US.

The majority of people, therefore, would have health insurance provided through their employer, so cannot say I have heard of anyone needing to get short-term or individual insurance in this case.

When you say "re-new your visa", a visa is usually valid for up to three years and beyond, so short term health insurance would not cover you for this period.

There IS short term health insurance available via most insurance companies in the US, and some offer "catastrophic" cover only. I believe you need to be in the US to apply for this.

Have you looked on ehealthinsurance.com to get some idea as to what is available and how much it would cost?

SanDiegogirl Feb 5th 2011 7:27 pm

I have just realised from back posts, that you and your family are coming to the US based on your setting up a company here.

Have you considered organising group insurance for your new company?

Even with a minimum staff ( I was once told that a Group scheme could be as small as 3 people) it might be less expensive, less restrictive with regards pre-conditions than a short term policy and your wife could also be covered under the scheme.

Just a thought.

Flabound oneday Feb 5th 2011 8:37 pm

yes its my company and yes its only one year at present. we have consulted a couple of health insurance 'experts' who all say small group cover is no cheaper.we have however found pure accident cover @35 bucks a month each

SanDiegogirl Feb 5th 2011 9:00 pm

Wow, that is cheap. Hope its sufficient for your needs though, being purely accident.

Flabound oneday Feb 5th 2011 9:07 pm

its a start but we are alos looking for true medical as well. this is like an 'extra' cover

Manc Feb 5th 2011 9:18 pm

http://www.assuranthealth.com/corp/a...alth-insurance

johnsonlasard Feb 6th 2011 12:15 am

Originally Posted by Flabound oneday (Post 9154191)
has anyone moved over on an L1 or similar (ie non immigrant) and got their health insurance theirselves ? we are looking at something to cover us for 6-8 months until we either re-new our visa, obtain a GC or go back to the UK .

however its proving a mine field. so interested to know if anyone a) had a long term travel insurance from the Uk or b) picked up a good short term one here in the US.

eventually Mrs FB hopes to have cover through a job (nurse).

TIA

If at this stage your plans are short term IMHO I would self insure. Short term coverage is probably going to be V expensive and probably a lot of hassle. Once you know what your long term plans are you would obviously want to look into a health insurance plan.
Just make sure you are healthy before coming out as getting sick in this country can be pricey (even if you have insurance). If you don't think you can go 6 months or so without a doctors visit (unless it is something routine/minor) I would suggest not coming out, at least until you have something lined up.
If you are healthy but if an emergencything does arise in that 6 or 8 month period you will have a little to negotiate with.
Another option to consider is travel insurance. This is something I did before I came out here. I took out a worldwide policy as my plans were a little vague. I did use it once but only for something minor.
I always make sure to check in with my local GP when I'm back in blighty....God bless the NHS!
Good luck with your plans

lisa67 Feb 6th 2011 12:31 am

Originally Posted by johnsonlasard (Post 9155208)
If at this stage your plans are short term IMHO I would self insure. Short term coverage is probably going to be V expensive and probably a lot of hassle. Once you know what your long term plans are you would obviously want to look into a health insurance plan.
Just make sure you are healthy before coming out as getting sick in this country can be pricey (even if you have insurance). If you don't think you can go 6 months or so without a doctors visit (unless it is something routine/minor) I would suggest not coming out, at least until you have something lined up.
If you are healthy but if an emergencything does arise in that 6 or 8 month period you will have a little to negotiate with.
Another option to consider is travel insurance. This is something I did before I came out here. I took out a worldwide policy as my plans were a little vague. I did use it once but only for something minor.
I always make sure to check in with my local GP when I'm back in blighty....God bless the NHS!

Good luck with your plans

So if he comes over here on an L1 visa and his appendix bursts or he falls over and breaks his arm you honestly think travel insurance will cover it?
If so could you provide a link to a company that you would recommend please .

johnsonlasard Feb 6th 2011 3:30 am

Originally Posted by lisa67 (Post 9155236)
So if he comes over here on an L1 visa and his appendix bursts or he falls over and breaks his arm you honestly think travel insurance will cover it?
If so could you provide a link to a company that you would recommend please .

I used Home and Overseas (which were part of the Eagle Star group) but have now been fully asborded into Zurich. I got an eye infection a few years ago, gave the hospital my details and they took care of it. Best 150 quid I ever spent. Think the bill was several grand?
Not saying this is the best option but it was an option that i tried and paid off. As the OP is not sure what his long term plans are I cannot think of anything much better. the most he's gonna lose is a couple of hundred quid.

CalBrit Feb 7th 2011 12:37 am

http://www.worldnomads.com/

Check out World Nomads, they allow you to live and work abroad for up to 18 months at a time, and then if you go home and then return to the US you can buy a new policy.

They do not cover preventative care, but give excellent coverage for emergency medical costs. I think it's £100 out of pocket per claim.