Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Short term accommodation advice please

Short term accommodation advice please

Old Sep 18th 2013, 12:53 am
Are we there yet?

Trixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Short term accommodation advice please

I still don't get it. It's not like the UK where from Manchester or Birmingham is 4 hours from most places.

Why not Travel to one appointment stay there (maybe do some sight seeing) and then travel to the next place.

Back packers have their whole lives in one bag for months.

you don't really need much stuff.
Old Sep 18th 2013, 1:01 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Another vote for air bnb.

You could also ask on sdn.
Old Sep 18th 2013, 1:03 am
BE Enthusiast

JULIEROSE has a reputation beyond reputeJULIEROSE has a reputation beyond reputeJULIEROSE has a reputation beyond reputeJULIEROSE has a reputation beyond reputeJULIEROSE has a reputation beyond reputeJULIEROSE has a reputation beyond reputeJULIEROSE has a reputation beyond reputeJULIEROSE has a reputation beyond reputeJULIEROSE has a reputation beyond reputeJULIEROSE has a reputation beyond reputeJULIEROSE has a reputation beyond repute

This is so vague it is hard for us to help you unless you have interviews set up in specific places since this country is HUGE. Where are the interviews set up any yet at all and what about the visa you need? This country is huge you can stay anywhere in a long term hotel or Motel 8 in the city you have an interview/s.
Old Sep 18th 2013, 1:20 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Double post

Last edited by Ozzidoc; Sep 18th 2013 at 1:23 am.
Old Sep 18th 2013, 1:22 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by JULIEROSE
Where are the interviews set up any yet at all and what about the visa you need?
In this situation, the visa is completely irrelevant to the OP's question.

The OP has already indicated that there are no interviews in the bag.

The OP may well be applying to over 300 programs.

(Although statistically he/she will end up on the East coast or Mid west.)
Old Sep 18th 2013, 1:36 am
Forum Regular

needle has much to be proud ofneedle has much to be proud ofneedle has much to be proud ofneedle has much to be proud ofneedle has much to be proud ofneedle has much to be proud ofneedle has much to be proud ofneedle has much to be proud ofneedle has much to be proud ofneedle has much to be proud ofneedle has much to be proud of

Agree with ozzidoc why should I need a visa for attending interviews julierose???

Yes Ozzi around 130 programs avoided Cali as no ptal also avoid all ivy league places etc you are right east coast my best chance I hope!
Old Sep 18th 2013, 2:44 am
BE Enthusiast

JULIEROSE has a reputation beyond reputeJULIEROSE has a reputation beyond reputeJULIEROSE has a reputation beyond reputeJULIEROSE has a reputation beyond reputeJULIEROSE has a reputation beyond reputeJULIEROSE has a reputation beyond reputeJULIEROSE has a reputation beyond reputeJULIEROSE has a reputation beyond reputeJULIEROSE has a reputation beyond reputeJULIEROSE has a reputation beyond reputeJULIEROSE has a reputation beyond repute

Ok no visa to work in the USA right like that won't be an issue? No interviews set up!!! I just want a cheap place to stay with no place to go yet so figure it out for me! Just trying to help someone that is vague and wants accommodation for cheap but doesn't know where. I'm done with this negative group. Good Luck you will all need it. Not really a support group is it as I have found out after all the bashing I have tolerated the past few days. Thanks for nothing. Many people PM'd me and told me how this group has become a bunch of jerks posting. Too bad. I gave it a shot and I'm so done and get it.
Old Sep 18th 2013, 4:43 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Compared to the shop assistant who wants to move to Florida at least this situation has some prospect of success, and the OP seems to realise it is a long shot but is prepared to give it a go.

I have just chatted with a guy cycling around the world, so he only has what he is willing to carry on his bike.

I would cut down on my luggage and go from location to location.

I was vaguely familiar with Airbnb, even if the name is misleading, some interesting stories, recent on in the Guardian.

So I put in my ZIP, nearest property to me seems to be a tree house, summer only.
Old Sep 18th 2013, 5:22 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Ok no visa to work in the USA right like that won't be an issue? No interviews set up!!! I just want a cheap place to stay with no place to go yet so figure it out for me! Just trying to help someone that is vague and wants accommodation for cheap but doesn't know where. I'm done with this negative group. Good Luck you will all need it. Not really a support group is it as I have found out after all the bashing I have tolerated the past few days. Thanks for nothing. Many people PM'd me and told me how this group has become a bunch of jerks posting. Too bad. I gave it a shot and I'm so done and get it.
I don't see a problem with the the OP's questions...he doesn't need a visa to attend interviews and he is asking a general question about accommodation. As for the rest of your post...I think your comments are uncalled for and the old chestnut about PMs is well past its sell by date.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Sep 18th 2013 at 5:39 am. Reason: Typo
Old Sep 18th 2013, 5:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JULIEROSE

I'm sorry you feel this way.

The OP is a doctor, applying for residency training programs through the annual cycle. There are circa 30K vacancies all over the country.

S/He will be/is applying to programs that automatically come with either a H1B or a J visa, neither of which are capped for the employing institutions.

This is a well-trodden path on here.
Old Sep 18th 2013, 3:01 pm
Forum Regular

needle has much to be proud ofneedle has much to be proud ofneedle has much to be proud ofneedle has much to be proud ofneedle has much to be proud ofneedle has much to be proud ofneedle has much to be proud ofneedle has much to be proud ofneedle has much to be proud ofneedle has much to be proud ofneedle has much to be proud of

thanks ozzidoc you are naturally spot on. as for you julierose if you dont have anything useful to say then why not just button it! since when did you need a visa to attend an interview?!

boiler around 6000 overseas doctors needing visas are accepted into the US every year so I hope to be one of them!
Old Sep 18th 2013, 3:07 pm
Account Closed

Just wondering how many apply?
Old Sep 18th 2013, 3:28 pm
Forum Regular

number of overseas doctors needing visa that apply around 9-10k

number of british grads that apply based on ecfmg certification figures around 80!

am hopeful boiler considering all the british grads i know who are senior to me got decent places on the east coast
Old Sep 18th 2013, 4:24 pm
Account Closed

Odds look good.
Old Sep 18th 2013, 7:52 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by needle
Agree with ozzidoc why should I need a visa for attending interviews julierose???

Yes Ozzi around 130 programs avoided Cali as no ptal also avoid all ivy league places etc you are right east coast my best chance I hope!
You got your answers a few days ago. I am confused as to why you started posting again today.

Charlotte NC is the country's sixth largest air hub, half way between New York and Miami, and has cheaper hotels than DC. Everywhere in the US east of the Rockies is reachable within 4 hours flying time. What more are you looking for?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.