British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Short term accommodation advice please (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/short-term-accommodation-advice-please-809186/)

needle Sep 13th 2013 6:45 pm

Short term accommodation advice please

Hi all,

Will be coming to the US for interviews for medical programs in a few weeks (as long as I get some).

Just wanted some general advice if thats ok. Am looking for some short term accommodation I could use as a base while travelling across the country as these interviews could be anywhere.

Main preferences are near an airport and not too expensive. I know its a needle in a haystack but anyone got any area suggestions. I have no ties.

Also is craigslist the best option for something around 2 months perhaps? Or extended homestay place??

Thanks again for your input

Speedwell Sep 13th 2013 7:12 pm

Re: Short term accommodation advice please

Originally Posted by needle (Post 10899731)
Hi all,

Will be coming to the US for interviews for medical programs in a few weeks (as long as I get some).

Just wanted some general advice if thats ok. Am looking for some short term accommodation I could use as a base while travelling across the country as these interviews could be anywhere.

Main preferences are near an airport and not too expensive. I know its a needle in a haystack but anyone got any area suggestions. I have no ties.

Also is craigslist the best option for something around 2 months perhaps? Or extended homestay place??

Thanks again for your input

I've worked with this firm before for corporate short-term stays of a few weeks to a few months, and they're reputable. See if they have a convenient location for you. http://www.oakwood.com/

If you know someone who's into CouchSurfing and can make you a personal recommendation based on their own experience, that might be an option as well. http://www.couchsurfing.com/

Bob Sep 13th 2013 7:34 pm

AirBnB....motels...

No point paying for a place if you're winging around all over.

Depends on budget really I guess. Could use craigslist for sublets, probably more luck in and around college towns though.

needle Sep 13th 2013 7:47 pm

appreciate your point bob but would rather have a base then go where i need to rather than lugging all my bags around everywhere

kins Sep 13th 2013 8:02 pm

Are they likely to be east coast or west coast?

My husband travels a lot on the eastern side of the US, and Philadelphia is a good hub while not being massively expensive. Also he changes planes at Charlotte SC and Washington DC a lot - just a couple of ideas.

kins Sep 13th 2013 8:03 pm

Sorry, Charlotte NC I think, not SC...

Pulaski Sep 13th 2013 8:47 pm

Originally Posted by kins (Post 10899832)
Sorry, Charlotte NC I think, not SC...

I was about to say! :rolleyes:

IMO Charlotte is a better hub than Philly, closer to more places, more flights, and cheaper accommodation. Eric Clapton has used it as a tour hub, flying "home" to Charlotte, NC every night where he rented a house, while his road crew slogged from venue to venue.

Bob Sep 13th 2013 9:36 pm

Originally Posted by needle (Post 10899803)
appreciate your point bob but would rather have a base then go where i need to rather than lugging all my bags around everywhere

Chuck the stuff at FedEx, get it sent to the next place of interview.

It just seems a waste of money renting a place for a couple months where you won't be there for long and renting a motel/hotel at a interview destination while trying to save money.

You could even just use storage at the airport and pick stuff up on the way back.

As for a hub, if you're looking at going around the whole country, then as mentioned, middle ground, NC etc...but if you're concentrating on a coast/region?

kins Sep 13th 2013 10:13 pm

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 10899879)
I was about to say! :rolleyes:

Husband's building a hotel in Durham and I can never remember if it's SC or NC either...

penguinsix Sep 13th 2013 10:19 pm

airbnb.com is a good option. Lots of different places though watch for the occasional scam

needle Sep 14th 2013 3:19 pm

Well I think majority of my interview will be east-coast maybe a few on mid-west I was looking at NC as an option staying near raleigh airport?

viable option?

Pulaski Sep 14th 2013 7:01 pm

Originally Posted by needle (Post 10900843)
Well I think majority of my interview will be east-coast maybe a few on mid-west I was looking at NC as an option staying near raleigh airport?

viable option?

Not Raleigh, it's not a major hub, meaning many flights will require two flights. Charlotte. NC on the other hand is the sixth largest hub in the US. If you have an interview in the Raleigh, NC area it's only about a 2½hr drive from Charlotte.

Bob Sep 14th 2013 9:17 pm

Maryland, DC area would be more central, though don't know how cost of flights compare, accommodation probably won't be as cheap, but possibly more commuter flight options.

JULIEROSE Sep 14th 2013 9:38 pm

I can rent you my basement in Northern VA for a price. Just kidding ... I would do a long term stay in a hotel - near Dulles airport. What is the budget? Where do you wanna be and what are you doing?

needle Sep 18th 2013 12:41 am

Just want to be somewhere not too pricey near an airport so I can get to my medical interviews which could be scattered right across the country!