Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Shopping at Costco

Shopping at Costco

Old Nov 21st 2003, 7:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond repute
Question Shopping at Costco

I'm going down to Costco tonight to sign up for a membership. $45 dollars for the membership, but what can I expect to save compared to shopping at my local grocery store?. We are mainly doing this for meats, as I am sick of spending $10 on a bag of chicken breasts only to find 5 in it. Is the meats and poultry that much cheaper? What else do they have thats a good deal?

Cheers
Old Nov 21st 2003, 7:25 pm
Forum Regular

Jxab12 is an unknown quantity at this point

Absolutely no idea on the content front, but my wife recently joined BJ's wholesale club after an extensive comparison exercise vs Costco. Sounds good for the bulk items - not sure about the fresh produce.
Old Nov 21st 2003, 7:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond repute

We also have a Sams club, but the Costco is a lot closer.
Old Nov 21st 2003, 7:36 pm
Forum Regular

That saves on pedal power alone...
Old Nov 21st 2003, 7:37 pm
CA to TX to Jamaica

CaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Shopping at Costco

Originally posted by Pimpbot
I'm going down to Costco tonight to sign up for a membership. $45 dollars for the membership, but what can I expect to save compared to shopping at my local grocery store?. We are mainly doing this for meats, as I am sick of spending $10 on a bag of chicken breasts only to find 5 in it. Is the meats and poultry that much cheaper? What else do they have thats a good deal?

Cheers
It's really good for fresh meats but the package sizes are bigger than supermarkets. Depending on your family size be prepared to bag up and freeze stuff.

Everything else is cheaper just in bulk sizes. Electrical goods, alcohol, cleaning products, cigarettes etc etc. They also have specially priced goods like clothes that they buy in.

It's definitely cheaper but you do end up spending more to save more.

CB
Old Nov 21st 2003, 7:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally posted by Jxab12
That saves on pedal power alone...
My wife will be driving I dont think my new found push bike could handle the strain.
Old Nov 21st 2003, 7:58 pm
Forum Regular

Could always get one of these...
Attached Thumbnails Shopping at Costco-pdeli1.jpg  
Old Nov 21st 2003, 7:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally posted by Jxab12
Could always get one of these...
Isnt that what David Jason had in Open all hours?
Old Nov 21st 2003, 8:02 pm
Forum Regular

Now there's a good show - whatever happened to Nurse Gladys Emmanuel I wonder...good luck with the shopping.
Old Nov 21st 2003, 8:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

effi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud of

Cheers
There was a survey on news channel 3 last night about prescription costs at Costco. One woman saved over $108 on a prescription (Costco price $12), and you don't have to be a member to use their pharmacy. In every instance, no matter what the prescription drug, Costco came out top with huge savings.
Old Nov 21st 2003, 8:46 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers
I think that Costco membership is definitely worth the money, espcially when you take account of the competition.

I had Costco membership until end of Aug this year but I've let it lapse 'cos I'm waiting for the Sams club to open in early 2004 (hopfully that soon).

Costco's fresh produce is of superior quality and way better than BJ's (I've got free temporary membership with them) and also SuperWalmart (I think their fresh produce is pretty crappy).

If you've got the storage space, buying non-perishables is a pretty good bargain at Costco. We used to buy paper products there (of the brands we used that they sold). e.g. toilet paper, disposable plates.

The prices are pretty good too as I recall for most products but before taking a trip out to Costco, get grocery store prices for comparison. Costco and I'm sure the other shopping clubs are not the best deal for everything they sell.

I would've renewed my Costco membership at the drop of a hat if I didn't have to drive 15 miles north across town to get to my nearest branch.

NC Penguin
Old Nov 21st 2003, 8:46 pm
Through the square window

Webbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond repute

We also have a Sams club, but the Costco is a lot closer.
Pimpot do you (or did you) use Sams Club ?
What's the cost to join them ? Does it work the same way as Costco ?
We have a Sams Club next door to the Walmart and I've always wondered about them.

Webbie.
Old Nov 21st 2003, 9:00 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Webbie
Pimpot do you (or did you) use Sams Club ?
What's the cost to join them ? Does it work the same way as Costco ?
We have a Sams Club next door to the Walmart and I've always wondered about them.

Webbie.
Sam's Club is part of the Walmart family. I think the founder's name is Sam Walmart.

NC Penguin
Old Nov 21st 2003, 9:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

I dont use them, but my brother in law does. Its just because he lives the other side of Scottsdale to me and Sams club is nearer. I think their standard membership is just $35 compared to Costcos $45.
Old Nov 21st 2003, 9:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

snorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond repute

I use both Costco and Sams Club. I find them both useful for different things.

The meat is a lot cheaper than the supermarkets, its pretty easy to seperate and freeze when you get back from shopping.

I find it really depends on the product when it comes to electrical stuff. Sometimes you can get a really good deal, sometimes best buy has the same price.

I find Sams Club to be a little cheaper sometimes than Costco, but then I prefer some of Costco's own brand stuff enough to pay extra.

Plus I definitely urge you to try their "very berry sundae" on the way out, yummy, very yummy!!

I tend to buy all the meat etc, in Sams or Costco and then I use Target for the smaller stuff.

I just bought some fantastic flannel sheets from Costco for $34 for the King size, they are so great I am going back for more tomorrow.

My parents filled a suitcase with clothes to take back to the UK with them because they are so cheap, but they do have limited choice.

I would say our membership fee has well paid for itself in the seven months we have been here with the meat alone.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.