Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

In shock! Our Green Card has just arrived!!

In shock! Our Green Card has just arrived!!

Old Apr 12th 2009, 3:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: In shock! Our Green Card has just arrived!!

Originally Posted by ukintexas
Congratulations - we got ours a couple of months ago and although it was a little bit of an anti-climax after a few days, it's so lovely not to have that underlying fear that you could be asked to leave if a job situation goes wrong. That in itself, with all that's going on, is major cause for celebration! I'm in Katy too by the way and have been here since 2005 - always laugh at the negative Houston comments on here
Me too! Considering what's on offer here, the way of life, the friends we've made, we love it! It's even more wonderful knowing that it's not that far to go and see somewhere completely different. For example, we went and stayed in a spa right on a lake in the hill country for our anniversary. Water, hills, loads of greenery .. we could have been back at home! Less than 4 hours away (which is nothing to native Yanks - we're getting used to it now!).

Where in Katy are you? Do you like it? We're just starting to look at HAR.com as we'll need to move from this leased house. We're no longer ex-pats as far as work is concerned!! We wanted to stay like this for a while longer (like 2 years lol) as clearly we're on a great deal. At least the transition from being paid in GBP to $ is going to be more welcome than when it was at 2-1!!

It's still not sunk in. We're both shell-shocked.

My first words to OH this morning were 'good morning Resident Alien'
Old Apr 12th 2009, 3:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sambapink
Congrats on the Green Cards - I'm sure its a great feeling
Thanks Samba!

How is life in the celebrity household?!
Old Apr 12th 2009, 3:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Englishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond repute

Congratulations - we got ours a couple of months ago and although it was a little bit of an anti-climax after a few days, it's so lovely not to have that underlying fear that you could be asked to leave if a job situation goes wrong. That in itself, with all that's going on, is major cause for celebration! I'm in Katy too by the way and have been here since 2005 - always laugh at the negative Houston comments on here

Great post...I agree the green card has to be better than a work visa, much more security in that one
Good luck and congrats to you
Old Apr 12th 2009, 4:03 pm
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mandana
We made the decision we quite liked it here, and wanted the option of staying to be in our hands, not with work situation, so we took the plunge and asked H's company to sponsor us.

They were more than happy (which was a relief!), and we've just collected our mail ... and there they were!

Wow! A bit surprised! And relieved. And happy, of course!!

Next step is telling our families and friends.

Better than a chocolate egg, that's for sure
Congratulations.
Old Apr 12th 2009, 4:08 pm
Searching for contentment

ukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond repute

Me too! Considering what's on offer here, the way of life, the friends we've made, we love it! It's even more wonderful knowing that it's not that far to go and see somewhere completely different. For example, we went and stayed in a spa right on a lake in the hill country for our anniversary. Water, hills, loads of greenery .. we could have been back at home! Less than 4 hours away (which is nothing to native Yanks - we're getting used to it now!).

Where in Katy are you? Do you like it? We're just starting to look at HAR.com as we'll need to move from this leased house. We're no longer ex-pats as far as work is concerned!! We wanted to stay like this for a while longer (like 2 years lol) as clearly we're on a great deal. At least the transition from being paid in GBP to $ is going to be more welcome than when it was at 2-1!!

It's still not sunk in. We're both shell-shocked.

My first words to OH this morning were 'good morning Resident Alien'
Hi Mandana
We're on Cinco Ranch (which doesn't narrow it down really as this area is so huge!). I love Katy, always visited it when we were here on vacation before our full time move, and don't regret buying in this area at all. I like the schools, the amenities (which are always being added to), and I have a really lovely neighbourhood - average neighbourhood, with lovely families here, safety for the kids to play out (we're on a cul-de-sac with a play area and lovely large greenbelt bit for the kids opposite the house), so all in all I really like it here.

As far as what you said to your OH, for days after the Green Cards arrived, I kept signing my name off on all my emails with the letters "LPR" behind it!! Amused me for a while anyway

You should get some good deals on houses at the mo, I know there's a few up for sale in my neighbourhood which have been on the market for a good few months - nothing wrong with them from what we can see, but everything is taking so long to sell at the moment. Great for buyers though. Whereabouts do you want to live?
Old Apr 12th 2009, 4:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

Hi Mandana
We're on Cinco Ranch (which doesn't narrow it down really as this area is so huge!). I love Katy, always visited it when we were here on vacation before our full time move, and don't regret buying in this area at all. I like the schools, the amenities (which are always being added to), and I have a really lovely neighbourhood - average neighbourhood, with lovely families here, safety for the kids to play out (we're on a cul-de-sac with a play area and lovely large greenbelt bit for the kids opposite the house), so all in all I really like it here.

As far as what you said to your OH, for days after the Green Cards arrived, I kept signing my name off on all my emails with the letters "LPR" behind it!! Amused me for a while anyway

You should get some good deals on houses at the mo, I know there's a few up for sale in my neighbourhood which have been on the market for a good few months - nothing wrong with them from what we can see, but everything is taking so long to sell at the moment. Great for buyers though. Whereabouts do you want to live?
We're in Cinco 1 .. looking perhaps at Cinco 2, or towards Fulshear. Had a nosey around Cross Creek but nothing really appealed. Went for a walk last night around the lake at Cinco 2 by the Lake House (near the show homes), then drove around some of the houses in the gated community - just because! Having no idea what was waiting for us in the mailbox as we drove home!

Schools aren't an issue for us as we don't have children here. There are a few must-haves on our list, so it's a case of getting a house that ticks all the boxes.

Seen some great ones online, but it's a case of going and seeing the neighbourhoods, what and who is next door (house, commercial, lake, park etc) and going from there.
Old Apr 12th 2009, 4:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

PS. Enjoying the storm?!
Old Apr 12th 2009, 4:19 pm

ukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond repute

We're in Cinco 1 .. looking perhaps at Cinco 2, or towards Fulshear. Had a nosey around Cross Creek but nothing really appealed. Went for a walk last night around the lake at Cinco 2 by the Lake House (near the show homes), then drove around some of the houses in the gated community - just because! Having no idea what was waiting for us in the mailbox as we drove home!

Schools aren't an issue for us as we don't have children here. There are a few must-haves on our list, so it's a case of getting a house that ticks all the boxes.

Seen some great ones online, but it's a case of going and seeing the neighbourhoods, what and who is next door (house, commercial, lake, park etc) and going from there.
Well it's always fun househunting - nosing around at the show homes and looking at all the different styles - I love it! Good luck with the search - be sure to let us know how you get on.
Old Apr 12th 2009, 4:20 pm

PS. Enjoying the storm?!
LOL - we have torches and candles at the ready for the inevitable power outage!!!!!!!!
Old Apr 12th 2009, 4:24 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

PS. Enjoying the storm?!
LOL - we have torches and candles at the ready for the inevitable power outage!!!!!!!!

Do not send it down to the coast. Repeat...do not, damn it probably too late it is getting very very dark outside now
Old Apr 12th 2009, 4:25 pm
Banned

srah is a name known to allsrah is a name known to allsrah is a name known to allsrah is a name known to allsrah is a name known to allsrah is a name known to allsrah is a name known to allsrah is a name known to allsrah is a name known to allsrah is a name known to allsrah is a name known to all

best keep them for the hurricane season....3 major ones for the Houston area is predicted this year so says the recent weather conference in Austin.
Old Apr 12th 2009, 4:30 pm

Originally Posted by Sugarmooma
Do not send it down to the coast. Repeat...do not, damn it probably too late it is getting very very dark outside now
LOL - it literally went pitch black here - like night time! It's gone already though, unless another section is heading our way. Typical "bank holiday" weather!
Old Apr 12th 2009, 4:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Sugarmooma
It seems to have passed for now, although lightning was extremely close just a few moments ago .. looked like it was just on the other side of the fence!! According to Accu, we'll be hit about 4 pm again.

Originally Posted by srah
best keep them for the hurricane season....3 major ones for the Houston area is predicted this year so says the recent weather conference in Austin.
Cheers for that! Just what we needed to know!
Old Apr 12th 2009, 4:38 pm
Banned

srah is a name known to allsrah is a name known to allsrah is a name known to allsrah is a name known to allsrah is a name known to allsrah is a name known to allsrah is a name known to allsrah is a name known to allsrah is a name known to allsrah is a name known to allsrah is a name known to all

It seems to have passed for now, although lightning was extremely close just a few moments ago .. looked like it was just on the other side of the fence!! According to Accu, we'll be hit about 4 pm again.

Cheers for that! Just what we needed to know!
Yes it was either two or three major ones headed Houston way. Hunker down you folks or get out of town is the more sensible option.
Old Apr 12th 2009, 6:05 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

We made the decision we quite liked it here, and wanted the option of staying to be in our hands, not with work situation, so we took the plunge and asked H's company to sponsor us.

They were more than happy (which was a relief!), and we've just collected our mail ... and there they were!

Wow! A bit surprised! And relieved. And happy, of course!!

Next step is telling our families and friends.

Better than a chocolate egg, that's for sure
Welcome to America!

Congratulations!

The following USCIS pages are must reads for all new immigrants:

Now That You Are A Permanent Resident
I Am A Permanent Resident, How Do I...?

Welcome to the United States: A Guide for New Immigrants

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.