Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Shock!! Horror!! Economic Crisis!!!

Shock!! Horror!! Economic Crisis!!!

Old Jan 24th 2009, 9:57 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute
Default Shock!! Horror!! Economic Crisis!!!

There have been a couple of pieces on Radio 4 recently on how different countries' media approach the current global economic crisis. In one program, they characterised the approach in developing countries as being one of "Sh*t happens, things come and go, life goes on", in the US as, "We are a string country and can get through this to become even stronger", and in the UK as "Run! Run! The sky is falling!"

A program just this morning reported that the level of debt the US is potentially getting into in its economic stimulus/recovery program is way larger than Brown's program (even taking into account the different seizes of the economy). So if anything, the US is in an even deeper hole than the UK ...

Being of a mind to return to the US, I have been following the UK media coverage of the UK economy pretty closely for the past couple of years and I must say the UK coverage is very much one of doom and gloom.

I was wondering from those of you "over there" - how are things being presented in the US media? Are they being "positive" about the future, as the Radio 4 program would have us believe or are they ramping up the bad news ever higher in an attempt to make the average person worry if we'll ever be normal again, as is the case over here?
Old Jan 24th 2009, 1:51 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Shock!! Horror!! Economic Crisis!!!

Originally Posted by dunroving
There have been a couple of pieces on Radio 4 recently on how different countries' media approach the current global economic crisis. In one program, they characterised the approach in developing countries as being one of "Sh*t happens, things come and go, life goes on", in the US as, "We are a string country and can get through this to become even stronger", and in the UK as "Run! Run! The sky is falling!"

A program just this morning reported that the level of debt the US is potentially getting into in its economic stimulus/recovery program is way larger than Brown's program (even taking into account the different seizes of the economy). So if anything, the US is in an even deeper hole than the UK ...

Being of a mind to return to the US, I have been following the UK media coverage of the UK economy pretty closely for the past couple of years and I must say the UK coverage is very much one of doom and gloom.

I was wondering from those of you "over there" - how are things being presented in the US media? Are they being "positive" about the future, as the Radio 4 program would have us believe or are they ramping up the bad news ever higher in an attempt to make the average person worry if we'll ever be normal again, as is the case over here?
The Messiah has come to save us .....
Old Jan 24th 2009, 2:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

Pharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to behold

The more sensible media seem to be very matter-of-fact about the whole thing, from what I've seen. They seem to reel off the figure of losses, job cuts and earnings statements very dryly without too much panic.

Coupled with this of course, has been the inauguration. Obamas message has, as I see it, been one of 'We are facing a very grave crisis, but we can pull our socks up, work hard and weather the storm, and make America great'. The media, of course, has been giving a lot of airtime to this....
Old Jan 24th 2009, 2:07 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray
Not just you lot ... according to the media over here, he's our salvation too ...
Old Jan 24th 2009, 2:12 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Not just you lot ... according to the media over here, he's our salvation too ...
And a village in Kenya
Old Jan 24th 2009, 3:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

notacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond repute

Hardly. This sums up the UK news's coverage of the inauguration:
Attached Thumbnails Shock!! Horror!! Economic Crisis!!!-omgobama.png  

Last edited by notacrime; Jan 24th 2009 at 3:32 pm.
Old Jan 24th 2009, 4:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond repute

I think the UK summary of the American spin on the economy is fairly accurate. Thinking back to Obama's inaugural speech ... the message was "the challenges we face are real", it won't be easy, it won't be quick, but those challenges will be met. Sort of a persevere through tough times message.
Old Jan 24th 2009, 4:45 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray
Oh stop already.. open your mind.

It's like the SciFi channel bumper.. What If...?
Old Jan 24th 2009, 4:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

I haven't witnessed him walking on water yet.....but its early days yet.
Old Jan 24th 2009, 5:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Doesn't your analysis above reflect the typical 'glass half full/half empty' difference in approaches to life in general between US/UK? If there is one reason above all others that I like being here, it's because people here have a more positive attitude and tend to focus on fixing problems (yes, they go about it in an annoying way sometimes ... but they get there in the end ....!)
Old Jan 24th 2009, 5:38 pm
Ray

Originally Posted by meauxna
Oh stop already.. open your mind.

It's like the SciFi channel bumper.. What If...?
Im convinced

Old Jan 24th 2009, 8:00 pm
Forum Regular

Islandgurl is just really niceIslandgurl is just really niceIslandgurl is just really niceIslandgurl is just really niceIslandgurl is just really niceIslandgurl is just really niceIslandgurl is just really niceIslandgurl is just really niceIslandgurl is just really niceIslandgurl is just really niceIslandgurl is just really nice

Originally Posted by Steerpike
Doesn't your analysis above reflect the typical 'glass half full/half empty' difference in approaches to life in general between US/UK? If there is one reason above all others that I like being here, it's because people here have a more positive attitude and tend to focus on fixing problems (yes, they go about it in an annoying way sometimes ... but they get there in the end ....!)

I agree...I haven't seen things so bad in the US..but there is a different level of hope in the US...more goal/results orientated
Old Jan 24th 2009, 9:04 pm
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray
And a village in Kenya
It takes a village to raise a country.
Old Jan 24th 2009, 11:47 pm
Banned

Lord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond repute

Absolute nonsense. You guys are comparing a Presidential inaugural speech to reports in the British media i.e newspapers and press. This is an apples to oranges comparison.
Pick up any US newspaper, listen to the US news or radio and they are harping on about job losses, the horrible economy, the fall in house prices, the pending demise of US car makers and the banking crisis bailouts on a daily basis.

To illustrate my point with facts rather than your perceived feel good positive American attitude here's the business section from the newspapers of the US's major newspapers. See how many doom and gloom articles are on the front page about recession, job losses and all the items I mentioned above

http://www.latimes.com/business/

http://www.nytimes.com/pages/business/index.html

http://www.chicagotribune.com/business/

Here's the business section from National Public Radio.
http://www.npr.org/templates/topics/...p?topicId=1006

Looks pretty grim to me with headlines of;

Madoff Investor Faces Loss Of Life Savings At 76
Jobs, Housing Battered; Microsoft Sets Layoffs
How To Rescue Your Nest Egg
Tech Trouble As Microsoft, Intel Announce Layoffs
More Bad News For Housing Sector
Harley-Davidson Sets Layoffs; GE Profits Plunge
Layoffs Force Many To Consider New Path
Librarians Become Unofficial Job Counselors
January 23, 2009 ยท The downward economy is putting more stress on libraries. Popular movies and books now have wait-lists

Like I said nonsense. The US press is just as downbeat ( realistic)

Last edited by Lord Lionheart; Jan 24th 2009 at 11:58 pm.
Old Jan 28th 2009, 1:38 am
Banned

Lord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond repute

In one program, they characterised the approach in developing countries as being one of "Sh*t happens, things come and go, life goes on", in the US as, "We are a string country and can get through this to become even stronger", and in the UK as "Run! Run! The sky is falling!"

I was wondering from those of you "over there" - how are things being presented in the US media? ?
I guess this guy didn't listen to all that positive news in the US media;

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lano...who-had-r.html

This is the second one in the LA area within a few months;

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la...,7425239.story

I wonder how many of these you get in the UK listening to all that bad news

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.