Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Shitty american quality

Shitty american quality

Old May 5th 2006, 4:01 pm
Mr. Grumpy

BritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond repute
Default Shitty american quality

I just found on the Pottery Barn bed i purchased a few weeks back that some kind of veneer is lifting from the frame

Excerpt from the web

'Each piece is framed in solid mahogany and finished with deep paneling and a hand-applied mahogany stain'

I'm not too happy at paying over 2k for a bed (excluding a mattress) which is advertised as stained solid mahogany but is actually veneered.

Load of ******* shit

They are replacing it, but still
Old May 5th 2006, 4:04 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Shitty american quality

Originally Posted by BritGuyTN
'Each piece is framed in solid mahogany and finished with deep paneling and a hand-applied mahogany stain'
Sue them for deceptive trade.

However, in the sentence above, the latter 'mahogany' is a colour, not the wood and they might make the same claim about the first use of the word.

Was the bed made in the US?

Could you get the same bed for a thousand squid in the UK?

Here is some quality furniture IMHO:

www.thomasmoser.com
Old May 5th 2006, 4:06 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snowbunny

However, in the sentence above, the latter 'mahogany' is a colour, not the wood and they might make the same claim about the first use of the word.

www.thomasmoser.com
"solid mahogany" is a tree and no mistake.
Old May 5th 2006, 4:06 pm
Renegade who has it made

ladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond repute

I just found on the Pottery Barn bed i purchased a few weeks back that some kind of veneer is lifting from the frame

Excerpt from the web

I'm not too happy at paying over 2k for a bed (excluding a mattress) which is advertised as stained solid mahogany but is actually veneered.

Load of ******* shit

They are replacing it, but still
write to the better business bureau!
Old May 5th 2006, 4:08 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ladygwennie
write to the better business bureau!
DPTA is treble damages here in Texas.

So that's either a real solid mahogany wood bed as promised, or $6k back to Dave.
Old May 5th 2006, 4:11 pm
Renegade who has it made

ladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond repute

DPTA is treble damages here in Texas.

damn ,i never thought too much of pottery barn myself, seriously should make big complaints and look into maybe suing, its misinformation.
Old May 5th 2006, 4:23 pm
Mr. Grumpy

BritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond repute

This is the full text

Our Hudson Bed exemplifies fine craftsmanship. Framed in solid mahogany and finished with deep paneling and a hand-applied mahogany stain. With its tall headboard and thick side rails, it makes a dramatic centerpiece for the master suite. Now when you purchase a Bed & Dresser Set, you’ll save $75–$100 on the delivery surcharge.

and this is the URL

http://ww2.potterybarn.com/cat/pip.c...all&gids=p5875

Could I reasonably expect it to be solid or veneered?

When it says framed, i would think that everything would be solid apart from the panelling - is this reasonable of me?
Old May 5th 2006, 4:24 pm
Mr. Grumpy

www.thomasmoser.com
thanks for the link
Old May 5th 2006, 4:25 pm
Lapine Member

This is the full text

Our Hudson Bed exemplifies fine craftsmanship. Framed in solid mahogany and finished with deep paneling and a hand-applied mahogany stain. With its tall headboard and thick side rails, it makes a dramatic centerpiece for the master suite. Now when you purchase a Bed & Dresser Set, you’ll save $75–$100 on the delivery surcharge.

and this is the URL

When it says framed, i would think that everything would be solid apart from the panelling - is this reasonable of me?
Click on "product info:

COMPOSITION & CONSTRUCTION

Frame is solid mahogany; side rails, and headboard and footboard panels are mahogany veneer over mahogany lumber core. Mahogany-stained finish with lacquer sealant is part of an 11-step finishing process.

gruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond repute

This is the full text

and this is the URL

The devil is in the detail.....

Frame is solid mahogany; side rails, and headboard and footboard panels are mahogany veneer over mahogany lumber core. Mahogany-stained finish with lacquer sealant is part of an 11-step finishing process.
Lapine Member

thanks for the link
beautiful ain't it?
Old May 5th 2006, 4:26 pm
Lapine Member

Originally Posted by gruffbrown
The devil is in the detail.....

Great minds.
Old May 5th 2006, 4:26 pm

gruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond repute

Snap
Old May 5th 2006, 4:27 pm
Renegade who has it made

This is the full text

and this is the URL

If i read that and bought it, i would presume i was getting solid mahogany, i guess maybe the world "framed" might set me off thinking, but who knows
Old May 5th 2006, 4:29 pm

Great minds.
And then there's us

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.