Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Shipping - what not to pack!

Shipping - what not to pack!

Old Jul 30th 2010, 9:47 am
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Shipping - what not to pack!

Our move, 5 years ago, was funded by my company but as we had no furniture to move (we were renting furnished in London) we got my employers to agree that if I found a cheaper move then I could have the difference to pay for new furniture etc. in the US.

We used a much cheaper shared-container service and did all our own packing - they just arrived to take the boxes. Took about 3 to 4 weeks to arrive and everything was intact. Our stuff wasn't opened by customs, although I have no idea about the likelihood of that happening based upon the way that we shipped.
Old Jul 30th 2010, 5:38 pm

avanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond repute

We did our own packing. The company we used said it could be insured for loss or theft but not breakage, which was fair enough. I don't think the fact that we did our own packing affected the customs activity because our boxes were sealed on pallets by the moving company, using about six layers of shrink wrap plastic and bubble wrap, and there was no way that anyone could tell who had done the packing by looking at it.
Old Aug 2nd 2010, 4:47 am
BE Enthusiast

bromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to behold

This will seem like a silly question but we have a multi system DVD player - if I get an adapter plug will it work and is it even worth shipping it? i.e. are multi region DVD players easy to find??
Old Aug 2nd 2010, 4:57 am
BE Enthusiast

Hubcaps is a glorious beacon of lightHubcaps is a glorious beacon of lightHubcaps is a glorious beacon of lightHubcaps is a glorious beacon of lightHubcaps is a glorious beacon of lightHubcaps is a glorious beacon of lightHubcaps is a glorious beacon of lightHubcaps is a glorious beacon of lightHubcaps is a glorious beacon of lightHubcaps is a glorious beacon of lightHubcaps is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by bromleygirl
This will seem like a silly question but we have a multi system DVD player - if I get an adapter plug will it work and is it even worth shipping it? i.e. are multi region DVD players easy to find??
Check if the DVD player is dual voltage. I've brought several electrical items with me that are (including two DVD players) and all I've had to buy are a couple of new "kettle leads" and they run fine. I don't know if multi region players are easy to get here but there's usually a crack for players somewhere on the net if you need to buy new.
Old Aug 2nd 2010, 7:42 am
Forum Regular

AddyLaddy has a spectacular aura aboutAddyLaddy has a spectacular aura aboutAddyLaddy has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Hubcaps
Check if the DVD player is dual voltage. I've brought several electrical items with me that are (including two DVD players) and all I've had to buy are a couple of new "kettle leads" and they run fine. I don't know if multi region players are easy to get here but there's usually a crack for players somewhere on the net if you need to buy new.
Amazon.com seems to sell multi-region players. I'm taking one with me, but someone warned on this forum a while back that USA TVs may not accept the 50Hz signal?
Old Aug 2nd 2010, 8:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

bromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Hubcaps
Thanks Hubcaps,
My DVD player says - Power Supply 110-240v, 50/60hz. I think that this means that its dual voltage?? Do you think it would be ok to throw in a suitcase??
Old Aug 2nd 2010, 8:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

Hubcaps is a glorious beacon of lightHubcaps is a glorious beacon of lightHubcaps is a glorious beacon of lightHubcaps is a glorious beacon of lightHubcaps is a glorious beacon of lightHubcaps is a glorious beacon of lightHubcaps is a glorious beacon of lightHubcaps is a glorious beacon of lightHubcaps is a glorious beacon of lightHubcaps is a glorious beacon of lightHubcaps is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by AddyLaddy
Amazon.com seems to sell multi-region players. I'm taking one with me, but someone warned on this forum a while back that USA TVs may not accept the 50Hz signal?
Most (especially new TVs) are 50/60Hz compatible, usually the only difference to keep down manufacturing costs, are the inputs, plugs etc. I guess the only way to tell is to plug it in and see and if my air freight ever arrives (2 hours late now) I'll be able to do just that

Thanks Hubcaps,
My DVD player says - Power Supply 110-240v, 50/60hz. I think that this means that its dual voltage?? Do you think it would be ok to throw in a suitcase??
Yes it's dual voltage, 110v is what's used over here. I have an iMac which is dual voltage, I bought a new lead for it from Radio Shack, plugged it and it's working fine. Anything that is 240v only will not work without a stepdown transformer so you're better off not bringing it and just getting new when you come over. From shopping around electrical stuff is much cheaper in the US.

You can also buy plug adapters for 110v UK items instead of buying a lead. I have one of these for my UK hair straighteners (dual voltage) and for the kids DS charger upperers.
Old Aug 2nd 2010, 8:40 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

You can pick up a slew of Philips players from Walmart or where ever for about $30 and a couple of numbers on the remote to make them regionless.

The problem you'll have, tv's over here don't have scart and if the player puts out a PAL signal, the tele over here might not read it and you'll end up with black and white bars on the tele. Component cables generally shouldn't be a problem though.
Old Aug 3rd 2010, 5:50 am
BE Enthusiast

Thanks Bob and hobcaps,
So my DVD player is dual but if i can't use the scart to plug into the TV how do I then plug it in??
Old Aug 3rd 2010, 7:09 am
BE Enthusiast

Thanks Bob and hobcaps,
So my DVD player is dual but if i can't use the scart to plug into the TV how do I then plug it in??
There won't be a scart socket on your US TV (or rather I'd be absolutely amazed if it did). Dixons or Currys (even B&Q) sell scart to composite or scart to s-video convertors. They're little boxes about the size of a match box. You will however need to buy the corresponding lead to plug it into the TV (composite or s-video lead). It sounds far more complicated than it is and anyone at a place like Maplins will be able to explain far better than I can.
Old Aug 3rd 2010, 7:49 am
Forum Regular

AddyLaddy has a spectacular aura aboutAddyLaddy has a spectacular aura aboutAddyLaddy has a spectacular aura about

Thanks Bob and hobcaps,
My UK Sony DVD player came with a Scart and a composite cable (red/white/yellow). I am hoping the US TV will have enough input options. Otherwise I guess I'll just buy a new one and hack it or buy a region free one.
Old Aug 3rd 2010, 8:06 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by AddyLaddy
My UK Sony DVD player came with a Scart and a composite cable (red/white/yellow). I am hoping the US TV will have enough input options. Otherwise I guess I'll just buy a new one and hack it or buy a region free one.
The corporate accommodation I'm staying in (until Saturday, we just found a place to rent ) has Dynex LCD TVs in (I've never heard of them). The TVs have about 8 input sockets including 3 HDMIs. There's component, s-video and composite inputs too.
Old Aug 3rd 2010, 1:03 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

My US DVD is hooked into my UK TV by the component leads (red white yellow as AddyLaddy said)
Old Aug 3rd 2010, 5:54 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Your player, if it doesn't have separate component r/g/b output, basically it's crap and you'll want a new one. HDMI out would be better still just for simplicity and general upscaling to a large tele.

Lets be honest here, once you get 42" plus screens, the s-video or red/yellow/white would be crap. I've not seen a tele smaller than that in donkeys, except those naff ones for the kitchen.
Old Aug 4th 2010, 7:45 am
BE Enthusiast

Shippers are due in 45 mins and I've not had a chance to pull all my files off a old desktop computer - i still want to take the flat screen monitor with me though - should i detach now and put in my shipment the monitor and take the computer to my work, hook up there and do it that way or hold onto the monitor and put in checked baggage when I fly??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.