Reload this Page >

Shipping to USA

Shipping to USA

Old Mar 26th 2012, 2:53 pm
Forum Regular

Eagle_Eyes is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Shipping to USA

Hello,

I'm moving to the US in June and I would appreciate any suggestions as to which is the best (cheapest) shipping company to use, and the pitfalls I need to look out for. I live in Kent.

Thanks!
Old Mar 26th 2012, 2:59 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Shipping to USA

Originally Posted by Eagle_Eyes
I'm moving to the US in June and I would appreciate any suggestions as to which is the best (cheapest) shipping company to use, and the pitfalls I need to look out for. I live in Kent.
There have been 4 or 5 recent threads about shipping companies. Perhaps you should read those first before asking people to rehash the same info over again.

Ian
Old Mar 26th 2012, 3:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

Scouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond repute

Perhaps, we should have a Wiki on Shipping Advice.

Jim.
Old Mar 26th 2012, 3:14 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scouse Express

Jim.
We do, to some extent.

Relevance of info all boils down to where coming from and where landing as well as how much crap one is shipping.

Whole container/shared/pallets will all have different answers...but there are boat load of threads asking the same questions, with plenty of recommendations, so that'll have the UK side taken care of at least.

Edit: Not that anyone will read it, but http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Shipping_USA for a start. I really can't be bothered to search through previous threads looking for more recommendations, not listing more specific problems people have found, or extra costs and scams that they have faced, but everyone is welcome to contribute if they want.

Last edited by Bob; Mar 26th 2012 at 3:42 pm. Reason: added the link
Old Mar 26th 2012, 11:56 pm
Forum Regular

tinman0 is a jewel in the roughtinman0 is a jewel in the roughtinman0 is a jewel in the roughtinman0 is a jewel in the roughtinman0 is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Scouse Express
...perhaps the mods could just be a bit friendlier...
Old Mar 27th 2012, 12:51 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tinman0
Got anything useful to add to the thread or the wiki, or you just gonna take sly digs?
Old Mar 27th 2012, 1:17 am
Forum Regular

tinman0 is a jewel in the roughtinman0 is a jewel in the roughtinman0 is a jewel in the roughtinman0 is a jewel in the roughtinman0 is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Bob
Got anything useful to add to the thread or the wiki, or you just gonna take sly digs?
Sly digs.

I just think the veterans on the forum like yourself could be a bit friendlier. You did the same thing to me when I was looking for advice and for the life of me I could not find the answer from the wiki link you gave. And I was so intimidated, I never bothered asking again for fear of being struck down and made to look stupid by you or anyone else.

I hate to say it, but the wikis here are written by the same people who wrote the documentation on the USCIS website. In fact, I got so little help from this forum - we paid for advice!

If you can't help the person, then don't reply yourself. If you aren't motivated to help people anymore, then stand back a bit and let other people come to the fore. I would be happy to learn a bit more and pass on some of my knowledge (eg in property), and I would never tell people "read the FAQ" or "Gees, there are 5 threads today" etc.

What is the point of a forum when the regulars are so unfriendly?
Old Mar 27th 2012, 1:58 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Sly digs.

I just think the veterans on the forum like yourself could be a bit friendlier. You did the same thing to me when I was looking for advice and for the life of me I could not find the answer from the wiki link you gave. And I was so intimidated, I never bothered asking again for fear of being struck down and made to look stupid by you or anyone else.

I hate to say it, but the wikis here are written by the same people who wrote the documentation on the USCIS website. In fact, I got so little help from this forum - we paid for advice!

If you can't help the person, then don't reply yourself. If you aren't motivated to help people anymore, then stand back a bit and let other people come to the fore. I would be happy to learn a bit more and pass on some of my knowledge (eg in property), and I would never tell people "read the FAQ" or "Gees, there are 5 threads today" etc.

So you've got nothing to add then?

The wiki is open to all to add content too, so if you've got info to add, put it in the wiki in any which way you think best, or if you need help, ask.

If you don't mind answering a question that is asked daily and you can even see the thread where you answered the same question on the first page, that's great, knock yourself out. Or you could help the person realise that they could in fact look around a little and find a fair bit of general info already.

If you see a bit of a open and not very well thought out question, like this thread, you can point it out. You can offer much better advice rather than pointless general guff if you get the OP to think about it a second and ask something useful.

What's the point in people saying they had great service from company x, when they moved to San Fran when the OP is moving to Austin, TX, or Podunk, WI, so have completely different requirements?
Old Mar 27th 2012, 2:32 am
Forum Regular

That's not the point! The point is that you and others leap on noobs like this person with really quite nasty responses.

What you fail to understand is that many new people who arrive here are at the start of a long life journey, and the first thing they get from this forum are the forum police.

Read your replies to people and question whether you would like it if people responded to you in the same way.

I don't mind writing long responses to people, so why do I need to write it in the wiki? Maybe I will one day, but right now, it's quite nice to help people.

And helping people is what a forum is about.

Feel free to reply but I won't be reading it as you don't understand my point about being friendly.
Old Mar 27th 2012, 3:46 am
BE Forum Addict

Scouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond repute

It's our way of sorting out the Dreamers from those who have a real chance of getting here.

There's plenty of help available, when appropiate, but we also have to deal with a lot of time-wasters, too.

The ones who want to move to Florida, without the appropiate Job Skills or Family Connections (Fiance etc) set off the alarm bells, initially. That's just the way it is.

Jim.

Last edited by Scouse Express; Mar 27th 2012 at 3:52 am.
Old Mar 27th 2012, 5:22 am
BE Forum Addict

HarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond repute

So let's have a sticky that has something like...
Hi & Welcome!

HELP & GUIDANCE FOR NEWCOMERS TO THIS FORUM

You probably have a ton of questions about moving to the US - questions that are new to you, but not to many who have been on this forum for a while.

To help new as well as established members get the most from the forum with minimum fuss, members have gathered together a variety of useful FAQs and links to useful resources.

These are generic and will usually apply to most - once you have read these you will be better placed to ask more useful and specific questions, which in turn will get you to the info you are looking for more quickly.

Here are the main topics...And there are other topics covered in our wiki...

Best wishes,

The USA forum members.
Old Mar 27th 2012, 8:06 am
BE Forum Addict

GeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond repute

Sly digs.

This forum is by far the most useful I've known for anything. When my attorney didn't answer questions, people on this forum did. For free. If people direct you to the Wiki or to previous threads it's because the information is already there to see, right now, and in a lot more detail then yet another response which - even with the best will in the world - is going to have less effort put into it the nth time around.
Old Mar 29th 2012, 10:20 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Read your replies to people and question whether you would like it if people responded to you in the same way.
I have yet to find a forum or a website that hasn't had the response "read the wiki/faq/stickied thread" type reply to anyone diving in with a question, especially to a common one where a similar if not the same question has been asked within the first page of the forum.

If someone gets offended by that, then they obviously don't have thick enough skin to deal with US immigration and at the very least will now know that most sites have a wiki and/or a FAQ for a reason...
Old Mar 29th 2012, 10:21 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by HarryTheSpider
That's actually very good, I could stick that up if you didn't mind.

Not that anyone would read it....there's something equally as helpful in the immigration forums that gets ignored, by everyone.
Old Mar 29th 2012, 10:29 pm

Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HarryTheSpider

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.