Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Shipping from UK to US - fees

Shipping from UK to US - fees

Old Jan 29th 2013, 9:59 am
Just Joined

old_motters is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Shipping from UK to US - fees

Ok, so I've had a look through the forum and unless I'm blind I can't find what I'm looking for and am hoping someone can help.

I have a quote for shipping as follows;

1 x 20' Standard Container - loaded with: "Personal / Household Effects"
Based on collection from: West Sussex - through to delivered door: San Diego,CA
= £2350.00 - uncleared and excluding any local U.S. Custom Dues / Duties / Taxes / Customs Examination or Inspection Fees that may apply.

U.S. Customs Clearance / Documentation: GBP: £175.00

This would be based on a weekly container vessel sailing from Thamesport to Long Beach,CA - with a transit time of: 28 days. Delivery to San Diego,CA = + 2 working days,but would be subject to being discharged from the vessel / final customs clearance formalities.

Can anyone advise what U.S. Custom Dues / Duties / Taxes / Customs Examination or Inspection Fees that may apply could work out to, worst case?
Old Jan 29th 2013, 11:57 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Shipping from UK to US - fees

Originally Posted by old_motters
..... Can anyone advise what U.S. Custom Dues / Duties / Taxes / Customs Examination or Inspection Fees that may apply could work out to, worst case?
As you're shipping household personal effects, and nothing more, I assume (?), there will be no "Dues Duties or Taxes". I am not sure about any "Examination or Inspection" fees but I'd expect them to be fairly nominal, no more than the $100-$200 range.
Old Jan 29th 2013, 12:08 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Pulaski
As you're shipping household personal effects, and nothing more, I assume (?), there will be no "Dues Duties or Taxes". I am not sure about any "Examination or Inspection" fees but I'd expect them to be fairly nominal, no more than the $100-$200 range.
Thanks for the help, this looks like it could be a good place to hang about.

It is purely household personal effects, just some furniture, some clothes, some quality kitchenware. No antiques, electricals or foods. Those will be sold or donated - along with my power tools
Old Jan 29th 2013, 12:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

ottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond repute

I was told that IF the container was selected for examination by US Customs the fees could range from $250 to $1300.
This was an inbound 20 foot container into Norfolk VA, as of last week.
Old Jan 29th 2013, 12:19 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by ottotheboar
I was told that IF the container was selected for examination by US Customs the fees could range from $250 to $1300.
$1300 is a chunk of change! Let's hope that doesn't happen!
Old Jan 29th 2013, 12:56 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
... I am not sure about any "Examination or Inspection" fees but I'd expect them to be fairly nominal, no more than the $100-$200 range.
On a shared container, this is where people tend to get scammed, as both people get charged and it can be a lot more than that.

But for such a quick turn around, it seems like a pretty decent quote.
Old Jan 29th 2013, 2:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

GeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ottotheboar
That.

It all depends on what level of examination customs decide to do and you're completely at their mercy. There are some things you can do to lower the risk of it being examined, such as not including whole PCs according to Pickfords, but beyond that... prepare for such a range.

That's a good price though. Just make sure there are no other hidden fees. Most quotes I see are in the £4k for a 20ft container but that does include all fees EXCEPT the variable customs inspections.
Old Jan 29th 2013, 2:43 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by GeoffM
That.

It all depends on what level of examination customs decide to do and you're completely at their mercy. There are some things you can do to lower the risk of it being examined, such as not including whole PCs according to Pickfords, but beyond that... prepare for such a range.

That's a good price though. Just make sure there are no other hidden fees. Most quotes I see are in the £4k for a 20ft container but that does include all fees EXCEPT the variable customs inspections.
I don't think I'll ship any electronics, just to be on the safe side. I worry about the quantity of soft toys our daughter has though.

The price is from the shipping agent that the company I work for uses to do UK to US surface shipping.
Old Jan 29th 2013, 3:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

ottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GeoffM
That.

The shipper can give a rough idea of what to the chances of an inspection are depending on what is in the container . In my case it was a car. 80% of car shipments get some sort of inspection within that 80% 40% are subject to an intensive examination.
I did RORO in the end.
Old Jan 29th 2013, 3:33 pm
Back in US & happy!

becks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond repute

I have just had my container cleared through customs and my invoice is $7.50 - I was told this is the ISF Filing fee (Importer Security Filing) which is the fee for filing the shipment with US Customs.

No other fees so far, but I have asked the agent to confirm if anything else is likely to appear. But as my container only contained books, a few bits of furniture,some paintings and other bits and pieces, I assume no duty is going to be charged and no other custom fees either. But if anything else gets charged I will post here.
Old Jan 29th 2013, 4:39 pm
Back in US & happy!

becks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: Shipping from UK to US - fees

Ok - so I have an email from the shipping agents - 'The container is released at the port. We do not expect additional charges.'

So this ISF fee seems the only one I have to pay, but it also looks like my container wasn't inspected at all, so I really think its the luck of the draw on that one and also depends what you pack.....
Old Jan 29th 2013, 4:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

MMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond repute

Congrats!
so far, so good...for the start of your new life....
Now the pleasure of unpacking your possessions and bridging old life with new....
Hope it continues getting better and better.......
Old Jan 29th 2013, 4:56 pm
Back in US & happy!

Originally Posted by MMcD
Congrats!
so far, so good...for the start of your new life....
Now the pleasure of unpacking your possessions and bridging old life with new....
Hope it continues getting better and better.......
thank you so much - of course when I was packing my things all those months ago it didn't cross my mind that I would be living in a house too small for it all, but I can live with things in boxes in the attic, basement for awhile - prefer that to spending out on storage back in uk.....

But again, thank you - I am finding all this really exciting now and a bit scary
Old Jan 29th 2013, 5:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

MMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by becks_r
it didn't cross my mind that I would be living in a house too small for it all, but I can live with things in boxes in the attic, basement for awhile - prefer that to spending out on storage back in uk.....
Happens to us all. I've lived with a 9x12 ft. Kelim rug from Afghanistan, still unpacked after oh-so-many years.
In the intervening time:
1. Afghanistan has turned into....well depends who you ask...
2. The rug has either turned into a rare antique.....or been devoured by moths.....
Old Jan 30th 2013, 3:09 am
BE Enthusiast

notonuksoil has a reputation beyond reputenotonuksoil has a reputation beyond reputenotonuksoil has a reputation beyond reputenotonuksoil has a reputation beyond reputenotonuksoil has a reputation beyond reputenotonuksoil has a reputation beyond reputenotonuksoil has a reputation beyond reputenotonuksoil has a reputation beyond reputenotonuksoil has a reputation beyond reputenotonuksoil has a reputation beyond reputenotonuksoil has a reputation beyond repute

In 2007 our container shipped from the UK got impounded in NY by US customs for inspection. We were told at the time 1 in 10 got inspected. We then had to wait for the inspection and while waiting were charged a storage fee by the port. It took customs 3 weeks to get to our container which had all our furniture for a 3 bed house. Ended up having to stay in a hotel for 4 weeks waiting for all our stuff then had to pay $1100 to the port (storage fee) and $500 inspection fee to customs to get it released. Yes, you have to pay for them to inspect it!!!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.