Shipping - UK to California

Shipping - UK to California

Old Feb 7th 2012, 7:05 pm
Just Joined

Lunapod is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Shipping - UK to California

Hello

I'll be relocating from Surrey, UK to California mid 2012

I've started thinking about shipping, can anyone recommend any good companies they have used?........and roughly how long it took for your shipment to arrive?

Thanks
Old Feb 7th 2012, 7:37 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Shipping - UK to California

Welcome to BE and good luck!

If you have a search on BE, you'll already find loads of recommendations as well as info on how long and how much it all was.

Lot of it is going to depend on if you need a whole container or okay with sharing a half container etc.

The wiki is a good place to look at for info too on things to ship or not bother, especially if you're paying for it.
Old Feb 9th 2012, 2:12 am
Just Joined

aesphete is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm using Anglo Pacific to ship some things from the UK to San Francisco. They've been courteous and professional so far - I'll let you know how my things turn up when they actually arrive! They collected them in late November and arrived in Los Angeles last week. Hopefully they should clear customs and be on a truck before too log. For what it's worth, I shipped 3xexport cartons and a picture frame carton for < £400, including some insurance.
Old Feb 9th 2012, 10:39 pm
Forum Regular

MrBaker2011 has a reputation beyond reputeMrBaker2011 has a reputation beyond reputeMrBaker2011 has a reputation beyond reputeMrBaker2011 has a reputation beyond reputeMrBaker2011 has a reputation beyond reputeMrBaker2011 has a reputation beyond reputeMrBaker2011 has a reputation beyond reputeMrBaker2011 has a reputation beyond reputeMrBaker2011 has a reputation beyond reputeMrBaker2011 has a reputation beyond reputeMrBaker2011 has a reputation beyond repute

We are using doree bonner the UK side has been excellent and competitive on price. Our stuff is still on the ship so can't comment any further but they use north American (i think) stateside
Old Feb 14th 2012, 12:26 am
Just Joined

ellendarvell is an unknown quantity at this point

We used Allied Pickfords to move our stuff from the UK to California. They were really good. Packed everything and unpacked everything this end
Old Mar 18th 2012, 6:11 am
Account Closed

javacocoa is an unknown quantity at this point

Would you be willing to share a container? We were just quoted from Anglo Pacific who wants to charge a small fortune for our small shipment (high price for full container and half container too). Moving from Cheshire to New Mexico, but I could get my things from CA to NM. We have 2 quotes: 715 cu. ft. and 335 cu.ft. The smaller shipment is for mostly boxes, with 3 small pieces of furniture. Thanks.
Old Mar 19th 2012, 2:43 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Why don't you get more quotes rather than spam all the shipping threads?
Old Mar 19th 2012, 11:57 am
Account Closed

Hey Bob, that's really nice of you to offer such helpful advice! Of COURSE I'm getting more quotes, 7 to be exact. My request was to see if someone wanted to share a container thus sharing the cost. But thanks for your advice and your pleasant request to get off your thread. It's nice to be where others are nice too, isn't it?!
Old Mar 19th 2012, 6:49 pm
Forum Regular

laety has much to be proud oflaety has much to be proud oflaety has much to be proud oflaety has much to be proud oflaety has much to be proud oflaety has much to be proud oflaety has much to be proud oflaety has much to be proud oflaety has much to be proud oflaety has much to be proud oflaety has much to be proud of

Well I can tell you who not to use.. We used Excess Baggage company (also using Excess international movers) also to move to California, and although all our things arrived in one piece, they were absolutely awful, and ended up costing us more than twice what was quoted for less boxes / weight that we had.. with dreadful customer service, especially once you have paid..
Old Mar 19th 2012, 8:05 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by javacocoa View Post
Hey Bob, that's really nice of you to offer such helpful advice! Of COURSE I'm getting more quotes, 7 to be exact. My request was to see if someone wanted to share a container thus sharing the cost. But thanks for your advice and your pleasant request to get off your thread. It's nice to be where others are nice too, isn't it?!
You bumped old threads, posting the same thing in all of them, which isn't allowed and poor form. I was giving you the benefit of the doubt by not deleting them.

You could have just created one thread and asked the once.

You've already been given advice that this quote is shit, so why would you even still consider it is beyond me.
Old Mar 20th 2012, 11:06 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by laety View Post
Well I can tell you who not to use.. We used Excess Baggage company (also using Excess international movers) also to move to California, and although all our things arrived in one piece, they were absolutely awful, and ended up costing us more than twice what was quoted for less boxes / weight that we had.. with dreadful customer service, especially once you have paid..
Thank you Laety, I'll be sure to steer clear of them! We were fleeced this way once before, and I know how it feels. Not a fun place to be. We are getting numerous quotes to be sure that the cu ft estimates are roughly the same, because we do not want to rely on one company's estimate of stuff...that's when they fleece you! I'm sorry to hear about your experience. And thanks again for your advice.
Old Mar 20th 2012, 1:34 pm
Just Joined

rypin is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Lunapod, just a tip when shipping. You can get what is like large silica gel packs to put in the container to absorb mositure to protect your personal belongings. I am so glad I did this when I shipped, worked a treat!
I recommend you do this

Cheers
Old Mar 24th 2012, 6:13 pm
Just Joined

peachey is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey, one thing to watch is the customs clearance the other side. We used first move international and whilst it took "only" 31 days at sea, the customs delay was awful. Watch out for unexpected charges as well such as X-ray, delivery etc. Whilst my company took care of all the charges it was a much more costly exercise than the quote we originally received. Good luck