Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Shipping time? UK to Los Angeles

Shipping time? UK to Los Angeles

Old Sep 12th 2010, 11:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

bromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to behold
Default Shipping time? UK to Los Angeles

Our shipment was collected Aug 4th so it's been over 5 weeks now and it's still apparently sitting in the colsolidation warehouse in London waiting to be placed into a container. It's going groupage so I understand it will take a bit longer but on a recent update from Pickfords I have been told they will be finalising a container in the next few weeks!

How long once it is on a ship should it take to get to LA from London - does anyone know?

I've been told door to door delivery should be 9 - 13 weeks. It will be 6 weeks on Wednesday and it's not even out of the warehouse yet!

Any advise or thoughts would be a huge help as my children want their things sooner than later
Old Sep 12th 2010, 11:19 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Shipping time? UK to Los Angeles

6-10 weeks seems to be the norm, but 9-13 isn't to bad, they'd have told you that before hand, and what it might be if the container has to be inspected etc.
Old Sep 12th 2010, 11:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Our was about 12 weeks I think, it was also groupage so I don't know what proportion was time spent actually travelling.
Old Sep 13th 2010, 1:41 am
Forum Regular

Skiboy is an unknown quantity at this point

When our stuff was shipped last year, I had an email from the moving company on the 23rd April, stating that the goods had been allocated, (not shipped), with an estimated arrival on the 29th May, so probably around 4 weeks at sea.

We also shipped groupage to LA, and the container was x-rayed, which cost us (I think) another $50, and I reckon it was at least a week before it was delivered to us in Northern California, although I'm afraid can't remember the exact time frame.

Paul
Old Sep 13th 2010, 1:54 am
BE Forum Addict

sambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond repute

Ours took approx 6 weeks from the UK to Long Beach CA.. hope that helps
Old Sep 13th 2010, 2:30 am
BE Enthusiast

bromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to behold

Thanks everyone who's replied. We've been here 4 weeks now and it feels like an eternity with so much going on. I've been to yard sales every single weekend trying to pick things up to furnish a very bare house. I think it's the not knowing when and the lack of information from the shipping company that is the worst thing. Still just had our side by side refridgerator delivered after surviving with a dorm size fridge
Old Sep 13th 2010, 4:30 am
Forum Regular

Nickw_2308 is an unknown quantity at this point

I think as others have already said around 10 weeks is normal. The actual time on the water will be around 4 weeks however there will typically be round 3 weeks at the consolidation centre and same at destination.
Old Sep 13th 2010, 11:20 am
Forum Regular

AddyLaddy has a spectacular aura aboutAddyLaddy has a spectacular aura aboutAddyLaddy has a spectacular aura about

We're shipping a whole 40" container to WA.

It left on the next ship which was 1 week after the pack started and Pickfords told me it was a 38 days at sea transit.
On top of that I guess there will be unload + customs + xray in Seattle, so I am guessing it will be 1-2 weeks from docking to delivery.

Pickfords told me what ship it was on too so I could track it online, but last time I checked that ship was on it's way to Peru. I hope they swapped our container off first!
Old Sep 14th 2010, 5:39 am
Forum Regular

Nickw_2308 is an unknown quantity at this point

38 days at sea is a long time but could be accurate if it is going through various ports.
Old Sep 15th 2010, 1:07 am
Just Joined

nxsfan is an unknown quantity at this point

We had our stuff collected by Pickfords on 22th of July and it finally left the UK this weekend just gone! I'm sure the guy who provided the quotation said 6-10 weeks total.

Anyway, I feel your pain bromleygirl!
Old Sep 15th 2010, 12:59 pm
Forum Regular

meshwill is an unknown quantity at this point

Our shipping crate was picked up on Aug 20th, set sail for New York on 29th Aug, arrived 6th Sept, just waiting for it to clear customs etc now, not sure how long that will take but my "furniture" journey sounds much shorter than yours so good luck!
Old Sep 15th 2010, 2:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by nxsfan
We had our stuff collected by Pickfords on 22th of July and it finally left the UK this weekend just gone! I'm sure the guy who provided the quotation said 6-10 weeks total.

Anyway, I feel your pain bromleygirl!
What is it with Pickfords??!! They told me originally 6 - 12 weeks and that 60% actually made it in 6 weeks but had to say up to 12 weeks and that it would go into San Fran. After it was collected Aug 4th I questioned why it had LA as port of delivery and they said due to groupage and it would take
9 - 13 weeks. It's now been 6 weeks and it's still sitting in the consolidation place in London. I was told last week it would be in a container in a few weeks

It seems Pickfords are taking their time not just with me but others as well. Do I have any recourse with Pickfords for the delays? -it's cost me over 2000GBP to ship..

Last edited by bromleygirl; Sep 15th 2010 at 2:03 pm. Reason: early hours of the morning - trying to make sense of it all
Old Sep 15th 2010, 2:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

We didn't use Pickfords (I had to go and check because we still have some boxes in the garage lol) we used Simpsons. Of course this was almost 7 years ago now, but our boxes (probably around 30) were picked up (and no we didn't have a full container, but still....) in mid January and we didn't get our shipment until the middle of May. It supposedly sat in customs for weeks and then it had to be trucked from (if I remember correctly) New York to Oregon. It was ridiculous and expensive to boot.

Sorry, I know that doesn't help you. Hope your stuff comes soon.
Old Sep 15th 2010, 2:39 pm
Shocked of Redmond

nettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AddyLaddy
Pickfords told me what ship it was on too so I could track it online, but last time I checked that ship was on it's way to Peru. I hope they swapped our container off first!
Not necessarily: with a transit time like 38 days it may be going round the Horn. Have you checked whether the vessel is a Post Panamax (i.e. too big to fit through the Canal)? Many modern container ships are.
Old Sep 15th 2010, 3:16 pm
Forum Regular

AddyLaddy has a spectacular aura aboutAddyLaddy has a spectacular aura aboutAddyLaddy has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by nettlebed
Not necessarily: with a transit time like 38 days it may be going round the Horn. Have you checked whether the vessel is a Post Panamax (i.e. too big to fit through the Canal)? Many modern container ships are.
I have tracked the original vessel from its departure from Tilbury on 18/8 via Jamaica, Columbia, Ecuador, Peru and finally Chile. It then returns via the same route to Tilbury.
But Pickfords/Sirva won't/can't tell me where transshipping occurred, so I will have to accept their docking estimate of 25/9.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.