Reload this Page >

Shipping things to the US - customs

Shipping things to the US - customs

Old Oct 5th 2009, 4:04 pm
Just Joined

orudge is on a distinguished road
Default Shipping things to the US - customs

Hi all,

My apologies if this is covered elsewhere, a basic search didn't seem to bring up too much. I'm moving to the US next week, and wanting to ship out a few items via FedEx or UPS, including my desktop PC (I'm a computer programmer, and the value of it is such that it's cheaper and less hassle to ship it than to buy a new one in the US). My question is: what do I need to do to inform customs that this (all used) stuff constitutes my personal belongings? Will they try to charge some sort of import duty on it, and if so, is there any way around that?

Thanks,

Owen
Old Oct 5th 2009, 7:43 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Shipping things to the US - customs

I think you'll find what you need here:

Travel Publications
You should be able to do the Customs Declaration with your shipping paperwork.. have you asked your shipper yet?
Old Oct 5th 2009, 7:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

My experience here:
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...hlight=customs
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
cf3299front.pdf (80.7 KB, 519 views)
File Type: pdf
cf3299back.pdf (25.7 KB, 130 views)
Old Oct 5th 2009, 8:03 pm
Just Joined

orudge is on a distinguished road

I haven't yet - as I say, my intention was to send over a few boxes via a carrier such as FedEx or UPS. Their web site appears to have sections asking for customs value, but I can't see anything else. I may try to give them a call tomorrow and enquire about it. It looks like I need to fill in form 3299 I think.

EDIT: Ah, a couple of replies while I was writing this. Thanks for those, I'll look at those links just now.