shipping stuff from london to South Carolina

shipping stuff from london to South Carolina

Old Sep 5th 2003, 9:27 am
Just Joined

englishman is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile shipping stuff from london to South Carolina

Hello to you all

I'm about to move to USA with my wife.

Anyone have any experience in shipping stuff from london to USA (south carolina). Any tips and contacts of good fair priced shipping companies would be appreciated.

Englishman
Old Sep 6th 2003, 1:24 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: shipping stuff from london to South Carolina

Originally posted by englishman
...... Anyone have any experience in shipping stuff from london to USA (south carolina). Any tips and contacts of good fair priced shipping companies would be appreciated.

Englishman
In November 2001 I shipped a small house worth of things, mostly clothes, books, records, CDs, kitchen utensils, plus three beds, two wardrobes, two chests of drawers, and a dining table and six chairs. In all it was about 930 cuft, just short of a 20' container full.

I shipped it with Allfreight International, based near Twickenham, I think, (www.allfreight.co.uk , 01932 853344, e-mail: [email protected]) and I can't recommend them highly enough - the sevice was excellent. They sent a team to pack, inventory and load the household contents, and everything was paid for through to delivery to an address of my chosing in New York.

They also took care of the airfreighting of two trunks of clothes and basic kitchen utensils until the sea shipment arrived.

I think we paid around £2,000 for the main surface shipment, and about £120 for the two trunks airfreighted. Plus insurance in both cases.

If you take no other advice from here, SHOP AROUND. Shipping companies set a price based on the resources they have available - you need to find a shipper with few bookings on the day you want to move.

Good luck!

Last edited by Pulaski; Sep 7th 2003 at 12:41 pm.
Old Sep 6th 2003, 7:57 pm
Forum Regular

smartiegirl88 is on a distinguished road

Whereabouts in SC are you moving to? I'm in Charleston
Old Sep 7th 2003, 7:38 am
Rock Goddess

Rockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for that link, Pulaski...they look excellent. Exactly what I need. Will they come round and give me a quote if I'm in North London? I've researched a lot of removal companies but I like this company the best so far. Cool!

Old Sep 7th 2003, 12:39 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Rockgurl
Thanks for that link, Pulaski...they look excellent. Exactly what I need. Will they come round and give me a quote if I'm in North London? ....
If I remember correctly their preferred "footprint" is "inside the M25", so I think that they will come to give you a quote.
Old Sep 8th 2003, 12:25 pm
Just Joined

englishman is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by smartiegirl88
Whereabouts in SC are you moving to? I'm in Charleston
Hi, we're not actually move to SC. My wife's parents are there. We're eventually moving to NM.
Old Sep 8th 2003, 7:37 pm
former Rochesterian

katina is an unknown quantity at this point

I just posted this in another thread, so I'll post here too -- in May of this year, my husband used Seven Seas, and wrote up his experience here: http://k1fun.envy.nu/emigrating.html. We had some delays on this side, but I don't know if they were due to Seven Seas' service or to UPS (the American company who delivered the boxes).
Old Sep 9th 2003, 7:28 pm
Just Joined

floridagareth is an unknown quantity at this point

we used a company called avalon overseas movers
which are part of team relocations
www.avalon-overseas.com & www.teamrelocations.com

couldnt speak high enough for the service they gave us.
we had 3 bed house full of stuff..

they came and packed up the house with 3 days notice
as we had some miscomunication between our buyers and us
with no problems or extra costs.
we had storage in the london & miami for total of 6 months
(fyi its cheaper to store in us) with no problems

the packing was superb there was so much paper im planning on starting a new forest to replace the trees they used.

out all our stuff we had 1 8 by 8 photo frame glass broken

but its worth checking around we had 5 quotes and this was in the middle