Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Shipping some speakers to the UK

Shipping some speakers to the UK

Old Sep 30th 2008, 1:03 pm
Forum Regular

FlatDog is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Shipping some speakers to the UK

I'm living in Boston and a friend of mine in the UK purchased some second-hand speakers for his stereo / HiFi on eBay from someone in the US. He's had them delivered to me and now we are looking for a cheap, reliable and safe way to ship them to the UK. UPS/FedEx are way too expensive. I appreciate your input and help on this. thank you. They are quite large and weigh 20KG
Old Sep 30th 2008, 1:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Shipping some speakers to the UK

Originally Posted by FlatDog
looking for a cheap, reliable and safe way to ship them to the UK.
They are quite large and weigh 20KG
I think you have just found the flaw in the plan. There is no cheap, reliable and safe way to ship something that heavy and presumably large. There are cheaper ways (surface) but it's not always safe or reliable. There are safer ways (FedEx, UPS, etc) but they are not cheap.

Last edited by Duncan Roberts; Sep 30th 2008 at 1:15 pm.
Old Sep 30th 2008, 1:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

Double posted
Old Sep 30th 2008, 1:16 pm
Forum Regular

FlatDog is an unknown quantity at this point

There must be a boat transport service we can use? He's in no rush for them.
Old Sep 30th 2008, 1:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

There must be a boat transport service we can use? He's in no rush for them.
I'm not sure if USPS does that anymore. However, if you do find one, it's not safe and reliable. I've had things get mashed from surface mail, there is no insurance option and I've heard many a story of the stuff never arriving.
Old Sep 30th 2008, 1:44 pm
Forum Regular

Arizona Wurzel has a reputation beyond reputeArizona Wurzel has a reputation beyond reputeArizona Wurzel has a reputation beyond reputeArizona Wurzel has a reputation beyond reputeArizona Wurzel has a reputation beyond reputeArizona Wurzel has a reputation beyond reputeArizona Wurzel has a reputation beyond reputeArizona Wurzel has a reputation beyond reputeArizona Wurzel has a reputation beyond reputeArizona Wurzel has a reputation beyond reputeArizona Wurzel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Duncan Roberts
I'm not sure if USPS does that anymore. However, if you do find one, it's not safe and reliable. I've had things get mashed from surface mail, there is no insurance option and I've heard many a story of the stuff never arriving.
We tried to send a large parcel to the UK last week,UPS does not do sea mail anymore so we had to send it airmail. I think the OP will have to find a shipping agent
Old Sep 30th 2008, 2:02 pm
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute

how about a sea shipping container - ie you want a part load of one?
Old Sep 30th 2008, 2:33 pm
And YOU'RE paying for it!

lapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond repute

You can just send boxes with shipping companies. Have them wrapped well.
Old Sep 30th 2008, 3:36 pm
Boomshacalaca!!

Tarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond repute

(just an idea) Have you tried the airlines.... cargo? reckon he may have to do a pick up at the airport. Mind you, the total expense of all this may total what he'd pay in UK for speakers.
Old Sep 30th 2008, 8:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

Big D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond repute

I'm living in Boston and a friend of mine in the UK purchased some second-hand speakers for his stereo / HiFi on eBay from someone in the US. He's had them delivered to me and now we are looking for a cheap, reliable and safe way to ship them to the UK. UPS/FedEx are way too expensive. I appreciate your input and help on this. thank you. They are quite large and weigh 20KG
you could appeal to ex-pats about to relocate and beg some space in their container? Out of interest what are the speakers?
Old Oct 1st 2008, 5:00 am
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Arizona Wurzel
We tried to send a large parcel to the UK last week,UPS does not do sea mail anymore so we had to send it airmail. I think the OP will have to find a shipping agent
Hi:

There is a difference between USPS and UPS. Don't worry, this is a common error. A few years back we had to ship a bunch of stuff to France, including kitchenware. We sent it via US Postal Service. USPS does offer insurance services. It was a lot cheaper than FedEx, UPS or DHL.

It took about a month to get there. I'm not advising about customs stuff.
Old Oct 1st 2008, 6:18 pm
And YOU'RE paying for it!

lapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond repute

Helpful tip: according to Howard Marks (http://www.amazon.com/Mr-Nice-Autobi.../dp/1841953199), if you fill the hollow space in the speaker with marijuana and send them to the UK, this can help offset the cost of the expensive shipping.

Hope this helps.
Old Oct 1st 2008, 9:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

Brit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond repute
Post Re: Shipping some speakers to the UK

Years ago a friend of mine in UK shipped a kitplane from US to UK. Despite being well packed (allegedly by the company), it arrived with part of the fuselage bent! It was useless and they had to ship another one.

If you care to hang around Bangor, ME for a while, you might find a pilot ferrying a plane to UK. It happens quite a lot. Only problem might be is the extra weight. Usually they strip the plane out and add extra fuel tanks to make it over.

Maybe there's a friendly boat-ferrying captain heading to UK?
Old Oct 2nd 2008, 12:00 am
BE Enthusiast

mayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of light

When the wife was living in the UK for a while we me we had some of her papers/books etc sent over.
USPS postal did it. Took about a month.
Maybe send the speakers individually to keep size and cost down?
Old Oct 3rd 2008, 12:15 am
Just Joined

lemmys_chops is an unknown quantity at this point

The postal service is pretty good. last time i was in the uk i shipped what was left of my record collection back here, and that weighed alot more than speakers. make sure you box them well and secure so they don't shift about. you could wrap them in shrink wrap for the journey. won't be as expensive as fed ex or ups, and it will get treated better on its journey.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.