Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Shipping Recommendations

Shipping Recommendations

Old Oct 16th 2016, 10:20 pm
Forum Regular

Grapes is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Shipping Recommendations

Does anyone have any recommendations for companies to ship my personal effects over to the US? I've already spoken to a couple of shipping agents but it's always better to hear from people who've had direct experience with carriers...

I'd say I can get everything onto a single pallet, but I guess I won't know for sure until I start packing it all up. Am moving out of my house soon and I may as well start packing stuff now with the long term plan in mind as opposed to packing it all twice.

Thanks in advance!
Old Oct 17th 2016, 1:05 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Shipping Recommendations

Honestly, I don't think it makes a lot of difference, especially if you are doing your own packing. I would get quotes from local "freight forwarders" (Google <your town freight forwarders>).

Be sure everything is snug in each box, wrap anything fragile in ample bubble wrap, and put a generous layer (4"-6") of packing peanuts or airbags in the bottom of any box containing anything fragile. Use a "barrel" for glass and pottery - it's an extra-tough, double thickness cardboard box.

That said you may have issues trying to claim on insurance for breakages if you did your own packing. Take pictures of anything of value that you ship, as you pack it, in case you need to claim for loss.
Old Oct 17th 2016, 8:59 am
Forum Regular

Grapes is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks Pulaski!

I'm actually a depot manager for a freight company, so the packing side of it won't be a problem at all; I'm completely sorted for that! Typically, I don't have any contacts for shipping to the US as all of my business is UK, Ireland and Europe... none of the guys I use do US but have given me contacts that I've approached. I was just wondering if anyone had any good / bad experiences with anyone in particular.

No matter, I'll crack on with the companies I'm already speaking to and take it from there
Old Oct 17th 2016, 10:14 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

We used Allfreight International which covers London and the South East, and possibly more now, per their facebook page. They did some packing for us, and took the contents of our home, totalling about 90% of a 20ft container. They also handled the airfreight shipping of two trunks of things to tide us over until our surface shipment arrived. They were entirely satisfactory for us - nothing was broken among our glassware or pottery.

Last edited by Pulaski; Oct 17th 2016 at 10:16 am.
Old Oct 17th 2016, 12:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

ottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond repute

As mentioned in a previous post I have been using DHL air freight for single pallets.
They are door to door and the price includes customs clearance and there are no bond charges.
It also saves me driving to Charleston SC as we have no LTL into Norfolk our nearest port.
Also a lot quicker than ocean freight.
Old Oct 28th 2016, 4:24 pm
Just Joined

BrownBandit is an unknown quantity at this point

I used these folks to ship around 14 boxes of stuff to the US and it went door to door just fine. I think the prices were reasonable.

https://www.transglobalexpress.co.uk/parcel-delivery/
Old Oct 31st 2016, 6:14 am
Return of bouncing girl!

Wintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond repute

For heaven's sake, don't use Eagle.

Password Required : British Expat Photo Gallery
Old Nov 1st 2016, 3:47 pm
Forum Regular

Shezi59 has a reputation beyond reputeShezi59 has a reputation beyond reputeShezi59 has a reputation beyond reputeShezi59 has a reputation beyond reputeShezi59 has a reputation beyond reputeShezi59 has a reputation beyond reputeShezi59 has a reputation beyond reputeShezi59 has a reputation beyond reputeShezi59 has a reputation beyond reputeShezi59 has a reputation beyond reputeShezi59 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Grapes,

I used PSS Shipping to ship about half a 40ft container last year. Paid around $5k to ship from Manchester (UK) to TN. This included storage at the depot in London while coordinating a container share, transport to my door in the US and everything in between. They collected in July and delivered in October. Some glassware breakage - nothing more. My favourite Waterford glasses arrived intact

I'd read a few reviews here and online elsewhere - there seem to be some companies to stay away from for sure; the ones with highest ratings are often hugely expensive. I opted for something in the middle and hoped for the best. I wasn't disappointed - PSS were better than ok.

Good luck shipping your stuff.
Old Nov 1st 2016, 4:04 pm

Originally Posted by Shezi59
Hi Grapes ....
Long time, no see!

Welcome back.
Old Nov 1st 2016, 4:07 pm
Forum Regular

Shezi59 has a reputation beyond reputeShezi59 has a reputation beyond reputeShezi59 has a reputation beyond reputeShezi59 has a reputation beyond reputeShezi59 has a reputation beyond reputeShezi59 has a reputation beyond reputeShezi59 has a reputation beyond reputeShezi59 has a reputation beyond reputeShezi59 has a reputation beyond reputeShezi59 has a reputation beyond reputeShezi59 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Long time, no see!

Welcome back.
Cheers Pulaski! My job has been relocated and I don't want to go with it so now I have some free time