Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Shipping recomendation

Shipping recomendation

Old Feb 12th 2004, 4:46 am
Rock Goddess

Rockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Shipping recomendation

I sent my belongings with Allfreight International on November 23rd, and today they arrived in Connecticut. Ok, it took over 2 months, but every step of the way I have to applaud the service. They were extremely helpful, reliable and available to answer questions, and kept me well informed of everything, and all costs. I really can't remember how much I paid now, as I don't have the paperwork to hand, but it was in the region of about 1800 pounds for a 2-bedroom flat's worth of stuff. I had to pay a small fee to allow the US agents to carry my stuff up to the 3rd floor without an elevator, but it was only about $100 extra. They packed everything really well and professionally, and I can safely offer my recomendation to any of you considering a shipping company.

Their truck even broke down in New Jersey today, but they called and informed us of how things were progressing with the roadside repair, and offered us a rescheduled appointment. When we said we preferred to keep it to today, they continued on and delivered late but with smiles.

http://www.allfreight.co.uk/
Old Feb 12th 2004, 10:59 am
C.G.D.S

sibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Shipping recomendation

Great to hear they arrived safe and well.

I'm using American Intl Relocation Services. They are a large relocation company that deal with everything from housing to the actual shipping. So far they've been great. They keep in constant contact to make sure I'm ok and can't do enough.
http://www.aimove.com
Old Feb 12th 2004, 6:18 pm
Forum Regular

Caligirl4ever is just really niceCaligirl4ever is just really niceCaligirl4ever is just really niceCaligirl4ever is just really niceCaligirl4ever is just really niceCaligirl4ever is just really niceCaligirl4ever is just really niceCaligirl4ever is just really niceCaligirl4ever is just really niceCaligirl4ever is just really nice

How much were you quoted and how much stuff are you moving? Are you using a container or is it just packaged in boxes?

Did you use a container or just packaged in boxes? I'll be making the move in April from England to California.

Warmly,
Terese
Old Feb 12th 2004, 7:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

doctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to behold

DO NOT USE SIMPSONS REMOVALS...They are a bunch of ( insert expletive of your choice)

Last edited by doctor scrumpy; Feb 12th 2004 at 8:26 pm.
Old Feb 12th 2004, 8:45 pm
Forum Regular

datcha is an unknown quantity at this point

We used Fox International and it was a bittersweet process. Stats and details below:

June 2003 - Signed on with Fox Int. to door-to-door about 60cu ft of stuff from Wokingham, Berks to LA, California. Total price 650 + 350 insurance. Happy.

July 21 2003 - They duly arrived and filled 16 boxes with our belongings (no furniture except for a coffee table, just loads of clothes, pics, etc.). They told us the estimated delivery date would be late Sept 2003. Happy. We then took advantage of their "1 month free storage" so shipping date from the UK was put at late August 2003 and arrival date in the US was put at late October 2003. Happy.

August 3 2003 - As our stuff was still in storage and we were travelling, we asked Fox if they minded us adding a box of stuff to our shipment that we had picked up while travelling around UK/Europe. No additional charge. Happy.

Mid October 2003 - Contacted Fox (we were now in the US) to ask when our stuff was going to arrive. They said they'd look into it and get back to us. A week later no contact so I emailed them some more. After several emails they tell us our stuff has NOT EVEN LEFT THE UK YET. Apparently due to the "downturn" in global boat cargo or somesuch. They said they would contact me back with more info. Sad.

Late October 2003 - No contact from Fox and no ETA on our stuff. Called the head of shipping or something and he seemed extremely annoyed that this had happened "oh no....." was his quote. He would look into it and email me back. Sad.

Next day - Email from Fox stating our stuff was going out on the next boat to the US and would arrive in early December so we should have our goodies by xmas. Happy.

All through December 2003 - Constantly contacted the US delivery company dealing with our cargo - responses to "when can we expect our goods" went in this order; "arriving next week", "arrived but needs to get through customs", "in customs", "in customs", "in customs", "in customs" and of course "in customs". Sad.

January 2004 - After our stuff still being in customs through the New Year, we finally got the nod with a delivery date of Friday 24th Jan. Happy.

Jan 24 2004 - Stuff finally arrived. All present and no damage as yet (we're still working through 'em). The only trouble is that we'd forgotten exactly what we'd packed. Happy.

==========================

While Fox should've let us know what was going on, once our stuff was at their main HQ they didn't really bother. The staff at our local Fox were great and extremely helpful. The price was good and our stuff did arrive safe and sound - even the glass from the coffee table made it through!

So, to anyone reading this who is about to ship stuff; don't take their delivery date quote as gospel or anything near. Also, keep on top of them to make sure its left the UK, arrived in the US and then finally sitting happily in your spare room in the US.

Cheers,
David.
Old Feb 12th 2004, 8:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

207lonsdale is on a distinguished road

Originally posted by doctor scrumpy
DO NOT USE SIMPSONS REMOVALS...They are a bunch of ( insert expletive of your choice)
Just one problem with this advice, the firm recommended by Rockgirl regularly use Simpsons Removals for collecting shipments in the UK, which then obviously results in that firm packing all your possessions.

I obtained quotes from several companies, and Allfreight's quote was 40% higher than Simpsons Removals! Maybe the higher cost with Allfreight is due to the use of third party companies to collect/pack shipments? Allfreight confirmed that the arrangement they had with Simpsons Removals was of long standing and that they had never had a problem with them.

Anyway, my point is that if you opt to pay a higher fee by using Allfreight you might still end up with Simpsons doing the job. Perhaps obtaining full insurance coverage (i.e. to cover breakages, etc., rather than just total loss) is the most important aspect of shipping your possessions. I also think there must be some element of luck in all of this as so many people are involved during the process, both in the UK and once the shipment arrives in the US.
Old Feb 13th 2004, 1:49 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by 207lonsdale .... Anyway, my point is that if you opt to pay a higher fee by using Allfreight you might still end up with Simpsons doing the job. ....
This topic has been regularly discussed on this forum, and the only conclusion that can reasonably be drawn is that rates vary considerably depending on how busy the shipping firms are.

Pick a day when all their (any shipping company's) crews are already booked and they will contract out and jack up the fee. Find a quiet day and the fees dropped correspondingly.

As with any other major purchase, shop around for the best price. I too used Allfreight, they were great, and it was their own crew that packed and collected the shipment.
Old Feb 13th 2004, 9:01 am
C.G.D.S

sibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond repute

My shipping company told me that we are now in high volume season. That means more ships are trotting, or whatever they do, over the Atlantic and things arrive quicker.

Note to people. Make sure you enclose a copy of your visa with the paperwork for customs. Customs can and often do turn back shipments for people who aren't in possession of a visa and aren't pyshically present in the US when their things arrive.
Old Feb 13th 2004, 3:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

We used Simpsons. They told us 12 weeks and we're still on the early side of that quote. So far its been ok. We decided to pack things ourselves as we hadn't figured out what we were taking until we were packing the stuff - always unorganised - that's us! Anyway, now if we could just figure out where to live!
Old Feb 13th 2004, 4:00 pm
Forum Regular

Caligirl4ever is just really niceCaligirl4ever is just really niceCaligirl4ever is just really niceCaligirl4ever is just really niceCaligirl4ever is just really niceCaligirl4ever is just really niceCaligirl4ever is just really niceCaligirl4ever is just really niceCaligirl4ever is just really niceCaligirl4ever is just really nice

You guys have been GREAT! This such a wealth of information. Datcha, so sorry to hear about your unfortunate experience..Hey, have you been to Magic Mountain on the Extreme ride? Just wondering cuz I was there a couple of months ago and there was a three hour wait.

Okay, take care everyone. I'll share my story as soon as I receive some quotes back and get ready to move which will be approximtely in April.

Warmly,
Terese
Old Feb 13th 2004, 6:32 pm
Forum Regular

datcha is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Caligirl4ever
Datcha, so sorry to hear about your unfortunate experience..
No worries, I'm just happy its all here now. To be honest though, the stuff was only going to be stored at a friends from Sep 03 until January 04 (when we planned to get and got our own place) so it actually saved us from having to move it twice =)

As for Magic Mountain, been there before but not for some time due to being busy at work, etc.

Frankly, living in the US is the same as living in the UK except I've got a bigger telly.

Good luck in your move!

Cheers,
David.
Old Feb 13th 2004, 6:39 pm
CA to TX to Jamaica

CaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Caligirl4ever
How much were you quoted and how much stuff are you moving? Are you using a container or is it just packaged in boxes?

Did you use a container or just packaged in boxes? I'll be making the move in April from England to California.

Warmly,
Terese
I used shipit.co.uk to ship to California last year. Have a look at how they package smaller amounts.

CB