Reload this Page >

Shipping a Rabbit to the USA from London

Shipping a Rabbit to the USA from London

Old Jan 16th 2012, 2:28 pm
Just Joined

ddunn1873 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Shipping a Rabbit to the USA from London

Helo All,

Does anyone have any experience with shipping small animals (a rabbit in particular) to the USA from the UK.

Some carriers take pets as hand baggage, some take as hold baggage but i cant seem to get any information from anywhere.

The only thing i have managed to get is some independant company wanting 2000 GBP to ship the bunny, a quote i am less than happy with.
Old Jan 16th 2012, 3:34 pm

Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Shipping a Rabbit to the USA from London

Hi

This may help;
http://www.cbp.gov/ImageCache/cgov/c...df/v1/pets.pdf

You'll also need to check the state regulations for whichever one you are moving to and the individual airline requirements.
We shipped our dog, but not a bunny so can't help much beyond that, sorry!
Welcome to BE!
Old Jan 16th 2012, 4:35 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

There are plenty of bunnys in the US.
Old Jan 16th 2012, 5:40 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
There are plenty of bunnys in the US.
but less stew :/

Anyway, to the OP, good luck and welcome to BE

It really is a case of asking the individual airlines what their policy is, some like BA require you use a pet exporter, some allow you to do it on your own, some won't fly animals during certain times of the year because of the heat/cold on the tarmac.

Definitely check the state you intend to fly to as there are probably state specific requirements for bringing an animal into that state for vaccinations and what not.
Old Jan 16th 2012, 6:09 pm
Account Closed

Stuffed might be easier and cheaper?
Old Jan 16th 2012, 6:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

Scouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond repute
Talking Re: Shipping a Rabbit to the USA from London

Originally Posted by ddunn1873
Helo All,

Does anyone have any experience with shipping small animals (a rabbit in particular) to the USA from the UK.

Some carriers take pets as hand baggage, some take as hold baggage but i cant seem to get any information from anywhere.

The only thing i have managed to get is some independant company wanting 2000 GBP to ship the bunny, a quote i am less than happy with.
There are a couple of conditions for shipping Rabbits to the USA.

1 - All Rabbits must arrive at Chicago O'Hare Airport

2 - You must treat the Customs Officers to lunch at the I-HOP.

Jim.
Old Jan 16th 2012, 6:37 pm
IPM
Forum Regular

IPM is a name known to allIPM is a name known to allIPM is a name known to allIPM is a name known to allIPM is a name known to allIPM is a name known to allIPM is a name known to allIPM is a name known to allIPM is a name known to allIPM is a name known to allIPM is a name known to all

I would assume that the prevailing market price for bunnies (either new or used) is less than GBP 2,000..
Old Jan 16th 2012, 6:42 pm
Forum Regular

Craig1987 has a spectacular aura aboutCraig1987 has a spectacular aura aboutCraig1987 has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Boiler
Stuffed might be easier and cheaper?
I like a good joke, but that was a bit far IMO.
Old Jan 16th 2012, 6:46 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Craig1987
Sorry,

For the Scottish, deep fried.
Old Jan 16th 2012, 7:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Craig1987
I was actually expecting a sex toy joke.
Old Jan 16th 2012, 9:47 pm
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe if you shave a little bit you can get a stamp to stick on?
Old Jan 17th 2012, 6:14 pm
Forum Regular

cowtowntaff is an unknown quantity at this point

I took my rabbit with me from Amsterdam to LA when I first moved to the USA. But the process will be the same for you since the import is the hardest part.

Generally, you should expect far more hassle from your airline than from US customs. I had to fight until the last minute of check in at Schiphol to get my rabbit onto a flight without proof of a 'rabies innoculation'. I actually took my case so far with United that they changed their exotic pet policies (for the better) specifically because of me But at Dulles Airport all that customs did was confiscate the hay in the rabbit's carrier. They inspected no paperwork.

http://www.aphis.usda.gov/import_exp...rts_pets.shtml

"APHIS does not have animal health requirements for the importation of fish, reptiles, lions, tigers, bears, mink, rabbits, sugar gliders, foxes, monkeys, endangered species, guinea pigs, hamsters, gerbils, mice, rats, chinchillas, squirrels, mongoose, chimpmunks, ferrets, or other rodents provided they have not been inoculated with any pathogens for scientific purposes."

Here is a good checklist.

Check with the department of agriculture in the state of your destination for any rabbit specific rules. None that I have dealt with have had any requirements.

Confirm carriage requirements of the airline. Either get confirmation via email from customer services or print out the relevant parts of the airline's website for carriage of rabbits. Take these to the airport with you.

Get a certificate of health from a vet about a week before you fly. This is also mainly for the airline who can point blank refuse to carry any pet without one. US Customs probably won't care, but is handy to have if you get an agent who wants to be thorough.

Rabbits travel very well as checked baggage. In actual fact some say this is less stressful than the cabin where there is more movement and noise. Familiarize your rabbit with it's carrier in advance of your journey. Pet shipping companies are a bad idea. Bunny will spend more time in transit which is not good and operatives at these companies are generally unfamiliar with rabbit care.

For their faults at the airport because of poorly trained ground staff in my specific case, United are a good rabbit friendly airline and I'd recommend them.

Also remember that the biggest risk for travelling rabbits is their gut doing into stasis, which is fatal. Put plenty of hay, leafy wet greens or something like pellets and hard alfalfa cubes in the carrier for it to eat. Even if they take only a few bites, that can be enough to keep the gut moving.

Last edited by cowtowntaff; Jan 17th 2012 at 6:17 pm.
Old Jan 17th 2012, 6:19 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by cowtowntaff
United are a good rabbit friendly airline and I'd recommend them.
I have a friend who is a United Pilot, I will pass on your comment.
Old Jan 17th 2012, 6:21 pm
Forum Regular

cowtowntaff is an unknown quantity at this point

Old Jan 17th 2012, 11:19 pm
Forum Regular

washsaint is just really nicewashsaint is just really nicewashsaint is just really nicewashsaint is just really nicewashsaint is just really nicewashsaint is just really nicewashsaint is just really nicewashsaint is just really nicewashsaint is just really nicewashsaint is just really nicewashsaint is just really nice

You could always take it in luggage if it's an Ann Summers rabbit.....boom boom!