Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Shipping Qs - This price seems really high

Shipping Qs - This price seems really high

Old Feb 26th 2013, 7:02 pm
Just Joined

texas_girl is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Shipping Qs - This price seems really high

Hi all, you've been a great help so far; I really appreciate everything. I have a few questions about shipping.

We've just received our quote from Daryl Flood. Unfortunately, we currently have no choice for choosing a shipping company because my husband's company is (thankfully!!) paying for part of our moving cost. However, after receiving their quote I'm wondering if they're inflating the price because they know that our move is partially paid for. Even with our allowance, we'll still have to pay $3K out of our pocket.

As far as large items, we are taking our beds -1king, 1 queen, 1 full- a child's playhouse, 2 small children's dressers, lawn chairs, and an outdoor bench. Of course we'll have boxes, but will be getting rid of a lot of stuff before they come to pack.

Here's the cost breakdown:

4755 lbs in a 20ft. container
679 cft
$8179.00 ($172 p/100 lbs.)

Included:
􀀵 Packing, full service wrapping, inventory and
loading shipping crates at residence
􀀵 Inland transportation to port of departure and
from port of arrival
􀀵 Overseas freight
􀀵 Terminal Handling Charges (THC)
􀀵 Customs clearance assistance/filing (with
your required participation)
􀀵 Delivery to residence
􀀵 Removal of wrapped furniture and basic
furniture assembly
􀀵 Unpacking cartons onto flat surface
􀀵 Debris removal at time of delivery

Important to note that Customs Duty and Taxes are NOT included. Any clue what these might cost?

Thoughts? Experiences? Thanks!
Old Feb 26th 2013, 7:27 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Shipping Qs - This price seems really high

Originally Posted by texas_girl
Hi all, you've been a great help so far; I really appreciate everything. I have a few questions about shipping.

We've just received our quote from Daryl Flood. Unfortunately, we currently have no choice for choosing a shipping company because my husband's company is (thankfully!!) paying for part of our moving cost. However, after receiving their quote I'm wondering if they're inflating the price because they know that our move is partially paid for. Even with our allowance, we'll still have to pay $3K out of our pocket.

As far as large items, we are taking our beds -1king, 1 queen, 1 full- a child's playhouse, 2 small children's dressers, lawn chairs, and an outdoor bench. Of course we'll have boxes, but will be getting rid of a lot of stuff before they come to pack.

679 cft

Included:
������ Packing, full service wrapping, inventory and
������ Inland transportation to port of departure and
from port of arrival
������ Overseas freight
������ Terminal Handling Charges (THC)
������ Customs clearance assistance/filing (with
������ Delivery to residence
������ Removal of wrapped furniture and basic
furniture assembly
������ Unpacking cartons onto flat surface
������ Debris removal at time of delivery

Important to note that Customs Duty and Taxes are NOT included. Any clue what these might cost?

I paid $7,500 for a 20ft container door to door, pack and unpack, in 2006. I think when you have a container to yourself, the cost for a full container load isn't much different from a half or three-quarter load. Did they give you an idea of whether it will fill the container (from your description, my guess is yes)? If not, you could request a quote for a shared container. This usually takes longer (because they have to co-ordinate two or more separate clients, who may not be leaving at the same time) but it could beworth considering.

I think in 2000 I paid about $3,000 for a partial load, which was mainly stacks of boxes, with no furniture at all.

Considering inflation, my thoughts are that the quote looks pretty reasonable.
Old Feb 26th 2013, 7:35 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by dunroving
I paid $7,500 for a 20ft container door to door, pack and unpack, in 2006. I think when you have a container to yourself, the cost for a full container load isn't much different from a half or three-quarter load. Did they give you an idea of whether it will fill the container (from your description, my guess is yes)? If not, you could request a quote for a shared container. This usually takes longer (because they have to co-ordinate two or more separate clients, who may not be leaving at the same time) but it could beworth considering.

I think in 2000 I paid about $3,000 for a partial load, which was mainly stacks of boxes, with no furniture at all.

Considering inflation, my thoughts are that the quote looks pretty reasonable.
Thanks for the response. I guess I'm just dealing with sticker shock! They estimate we will use 679 out of 900 cubic feet.
Old Feb 26th 2013, 9:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

mayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of light

Frankly that looks like a bargain!
We paid circa $3000 for 200 cubic feet.
Old Feb 26th 2013, 9:45 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

... Important to note that Customs Duty and Taxes are NOT included. Any clue what these might cost?

There should be no customs duties on personal and household goods. In theory you have to have owned things for 12 months, but if you have a few new things it is unlikely anyone would notice unless they were still in the packing they came in.

You should seriously consider whether you should be taking the king size bed as it may be difficult to find a house with a bedroom big enough to take it. The queen is almost exactly the same size as a British king, and the master bedroom in most houses built over the past 60 years in the UK will just about take a British king, but more might be a challenge.
Old Feb 27th 2013, 5:13 am
BE Enthusiast

larrabee is a glorious beacon of lightlarrabee is a glorious beacon of lightlarrabee is a glorious beacon of lightlarrabee is a glorious beacon of lightlarrabee is a glorious beacon of lightlarrabee is a glorious beacon of lightlarrabee is a glorious beacon of lightlarrabee is a glorious beacon of lightlarrabee is a glorious beacon of lightlarrabee is a glorious beacon of lightlarrabee is a glorious beacon of light

The best quote that we were given was for $1215 for 100 cubic feet.
All inclusive door to door including packing, except for insurance and a mysterious fee that we will have to pay if the container is examined at either end.
There are no weight restrictions and if we go over volume the fee will be $10 per cubic foot.
This was as of a few weeks ago.
Old Feb 27th 2013, 5:17 am
BE Enthusiast

happyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by larrabee
The best quote that we were given was for $1215 for 100 cubic feet.
All inclusive door to door including packing, except for insurance and a mysterious fee that we will have to pay if the container is examined at either end.
There are no weight restrictions and if we go over volume the fee will be $10 per cubic foot.
This was as of a few weeks ago.
That's pretty good, I'm looking at about the same volume. May I ask who gave you that price?
Old Feb 27th 2013, 5:30 am
Forum Regular

Nicola1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Our 20ft container from South Africa to UK has been quoted at $8200.00 excl duties, insurance etc.
Old Feb 27th 2013, 5:33 am
BE Enthusiast

larrabee is a glorious beacon of lightlarrabee is a glorious beacon of lightlarrabee is a glorious beacon of lightlarrabee is a glorious beacon of lightlarrabee is a glorious beacon of lightlarrabee is a glorious beacon of lightlarrabee is a glorious beacon of lightlarrabee is a glorious beacon of lightlarrabee is a glorious beacon of lightlarrabee is a glorious beacon of lightlarrabee is a glorious beacon of light

This quote was from Schumacher Cargo Logisitics.
I did a little research after they provided the quote and like all the firms that I looked at they had both good and bad reviews.
Most of the negative reviews though, seem to have been in relation to vehicles being damaged during shipment. The household goods side of it seemed to be OK.
I've had to move our date back each week for three weeks now as we are still waiting for my husbands visa to be issued but that has not been a problem at all for them. They even gave me 20 or so boxes so that I could get started packing and didn't ask me for a deposit.
I am satisfied so far!
Old Feb 27th 2013, 5:44 am
BE Enthusiast

happyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by larrabee
This quote was from Schumacher Cargo Logisitics.
I did a little research after they provided the quote and like all the firms that I looked at they had both good and bad reviews.
Most of the negative reviews though, seem to have been in relation to vehicles being damaged during shipment. The household goods side of it seemed to be OK.
I've had to move our date back each week for three weeks now as we are still waiting for my husbands visa to be issued but that has not been a problem at all for them. They even gave me 20 or so boxes so that I could get started packing and didn't ask me for a deposit.
I am satisfied so far!
Thanks very much! That does sound promising.

I think I may have overestimated the volume I need - what are you expecting to fit in to your 100 cuft?
Old Feb 27th 2013, 6:27 am
BE Enthusiast

That's a good question!
We are planning to take clothes, photo albums, ornaments, pillows and bedding, some pictures, a couple of small end tables, things like that....and our safe.
We have so much accumulated "stuff" that really we have no use for that at the moment I'm in the process of throwing out the rubbish then everything is being sorted according to importance.
Suitcase- Can't live without it for 2 months.
Box- Definitely for shipment.
Pile- To be put in box for shipping if there is room!
I have no real sense for size or volume myself, so I am totally guessing if the 100 cubic feet will be way too much (but if it is, the things from the reserve pile will go in) or not enough (in which case $10 per cubic foot is very reasonable I think) so overall I am comfortable with our choice.

If you think that you will have a lot less try
http://www.upakweship.com/services-u...ope-prices.php
They were the first people that I spoke with and very helpful too but they didn't work for us as the safe exceeds their weight limit. Even then they went out of their way to provide a quote but it worked out as much more expensive for a smaller volume, also you have to do all the work and pay extra for pick up!
Upack also have a useful volume calculator/estimator under tools on their website too, this may help.
Old Feb 27th 2013, 10:31 am
Forum Regular

helendha is a jewel in the roughhelendha is a jewel in the roughhelendha is a jewel in the roughhelendha is a jewel in the rough

679 cft

We just got our first quote yesterday.
To move from USA, 750 cft in a 20ft container, 5,500 pounds (sorry, no pound sign on here!) = approx $8,800. Includes the packing and unpacking etc.

They explained to us (and someone here has said the same thing) that they price on volume not weight and so pretty much whether we use the whole or partial container, the price won't budge much.

Similar to you, we asked them to quote just for the major pieces of furnuiture (large sectional sofa, end-tables, 3 bedroom sets, table and chairs, and then just personal items).

I'd say your quote is in the right ballpark!
Old Feb 27th 2013, 12:19 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by helendha
..... (sorry, no pound sign on here!) .......
Hold down the Alt key then key 156, then release the Alt key.

You must use the number pad to the right of the keyboard, it does not work with the numbers across the top of the keyboard.
Old Feb 27th 2013, 12:41 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

679 cft

Included:
􀀵 Packing, full service wrapping, inventory and
􀀵 Inland transportation to port of departure and
from port of arrival
􀀵 Overseas freight
􀀵 Terminal Handling Charges (THC)
􀀵 Customs clearance assistance/filing (with
􀀵 Delivery to residence
􀀵 Removal of wrapped furniture and basic
furniture assembly
􀀵 Unpacking cartons onto flat surface
􀀵 Debris removal at time of delivery

You could save a lot by packing and unpacking everything yourselves - as someone else suggested, try UPakWeShip.
Old Feb 27th 2013, 5:23 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by dunroving
You could save a lot by packing and unpacking everything yourselves - as someone else suggested, try UPakWeShip.
Unfortunately, we do are forced to use this company. If I believed they were taking advantage, I would do my best to convince my husband's company to change movers, but it looks like they're quoting us fairly based on the above responses.

We *just* purchased the king size mattress for a pretty penny. I can't stomach leaving it. This move was quite sudden and unexpected, otherwise we would have never purchased it (or the brand new washer and dryer, eek!) We've looked at a few houses, and so far it hasn't been a problem. It'll be tight but doable.

Thank you everyone for your responses. This is very helpful!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.