Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Shipping prescription UK to USA

Shipping prescription UK to USA

Old Jun 20th 2020, 11:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

yellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Shipping prescription UK to USA

Sorry for the double post.

even if it is a drug that is also licensed over here, importing it will be a real pain in the proverbial.

Which airport it arrives at will depend on the courier you use. Because you are importing medication, even within the rules, it will be inspected. DEA are regional, and can vary from office to office on how they approach these inspections - a lot of the interpretation is at their discretion. If they tell CBP they aren’t happy with the paperwork or the legitimacy of your package it could get held up for weeks while it is resolved. Or there could simply be a backlog at that airport. Meantime you’ve run out of your medication.

My experience is based on working in pharma r&d and shipping samples from one lab to another across the Atlantic. We had a logistics team who knew what couriers flew where and who could do the paperwork in their sleep. And we still lost weeks waiting for samples while they were sitting in an airport hanger. We did everything we could to avoid shipping samples and would regularly send people and equipment to the samples instead as it worked out cheaper and quicker in the long run.
Old Jun 20th 2020, 11:52 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

and yet US women import tretinoin ( prescribed drug in the USA) from Mexico all the time.
I'm not advocating breaking any rules at all, but yeah - go to good rx and maybe google the drug before shipping it over. And for sure, if it's a class 1 drug or perhaps lab samples then don't do it
Old Jun 21st 2020, 7:34 am
BE Forum Addict

yellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise
and yet US women import tretinoin ( prescribed drug in the USA) from Mexico all the time.
I'm not advocating breaking any rules at all, but yeah - go to good rx and maybe google the drug before shipping it over. And for sure, if it's a class 1 drug or perhaps lab samples then don't do it
i don’t appreciate the snark. CBP and DEA don't differentiate between a pack of pills intended for a person or lab testing. the point I was trying to make is my employers are experts in couriering drugs from the U.K. to the US and yet still run into problems.

It appears likely from reading the FDA website that they are allowed to get their medication sent over. Whether it’s a good idea or not will depend on the drug and how critical it us to the OP and the relative ease/cost of getting it prescribed here in the US, The OP asked for thoughts, I gave mine.
Old Jun 21st 2020, 2:20 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by yellowroom
i don’t appreciate the snark. CBP and DEA don't differentiate between a pack of pills intended for a person or lab testing. the point I was trying to make is my employers are experts in couriering drugs from the U.K. to the US and yet still run into problems.

It appears likely from reading the FDA website that they are allowed to get their medication sent over. Whether it’s a good idea or not will depend on the drug and how critical it us to the OP and the relative ease/cost of getting it prescribed here in the US, The OP asked for thoughts, I gave mine.
it wasn't snark
You used "anecdotal fallacy" as evidence that the OP should not get the medicine sent over. I replied intentionally with same but it went right over your head. My advice to check goodrx and google the drug was solid advice, not snark.
However, in the end it doesn't matter as you ended up reading the actual rules and agreed with me.