British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Shipping possessions to US, question about CDRs and DVDRs (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/shipping-possessions-us-question-about-cdrs-dvdrs-603063/)

Ringside Apr 12th 2009 7:03 am

Shipping possessions to US, question about CDRs and DVDRs

Hello all

We're currently packaging all of our possessions up getting ready for the shipping process and I have a question about (part) of my music collection.

Apart from sending over my vinyl and CD collection I have a couple of folders of live material from places such as dimeadozen. Now while they aren't pirate copies of albums, and a lot were recorded live with the bands consent, a lot weren't...that's the nature of live recordings I guess.

Do you think I could have problems with these?

Cheers all.

Poppy girl Apr 12th 2009 10:16 am

Re: Shipping possessions to US, question about CDRs and DVDRs

Originally Posted by Ringside (Post 7472656)
Hello all

We're currently packaging all of our possessions up getting ready for the shipping process and I have a question about (part) of my music collection.

Apart from sending over my vinyl and CD collection I have a couple of folders of live material from places such as dimeadozen. Now while they aren't pirate copies of albums, and a lot were recorded live with the bands consent, a lot weren't...that's the nature of live recordings I guess.

Cheers all.

This link was given to me on another question but it might help you go to the
Trademarked and Copyrighted Articles at the bottom.
http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/travel/va...oductsPrepared

Kar98 Apr 13th 2009 3:49 am

Online file storage. Just saying ;)
(I've got 25GB worth of file storage at hotmail, 50 MB maximum file size each)

emailrob Apr 13th 2009 5:25 am

Hello all

Cheers all.

I highly doubt it. Can you make copies of them just in case and mail them ahead of time?

Ringside Apr 13th 2009 8:48 am

The online storage and back up copies are both good ideas BUT there are 2 folders of live CDs, totaling around 500 discs and half of that number of live DVDs.

To be a live music addict!

Kar98 Apr 13th 2009 12:08 pm

Originally Posted by Ringside (Post 7475249)
The online storage and back up copies are both good ideas BUT there are 2 folders of live CDs, totaling around 500 discs and half of that number of live DVDs.

In my iTunes library, I've got:

30 hours worth of movies, 20.75 GB
4,568 songs, 462 albums, 14 days, 30 GB
50 TV episodes, 20 hours, 17 GB

OK, I wouldn't want to put all of that into online storage either, just the ones I am really really fond of. The rest... external hard drive? Flash cards? Anything to reduce weight and volume.

emailrob Apr 13th 2009 3:19 pm

Even if you put them in a suitcase, my point is they could get lost easily. I would backup your favourite ones and ship them seperately via mail. Better still, backup them (lossless FLAC) to a hard drive also. I assume many cannot be replaced if they are live recordings.

If you are using a removal company, they should also be able to advise. You've nothing illegal, so should not be overly concerned, just be prepared by having backup contingencies.

Ringside Apr 13th 2009 5:08 pm

It was the actual legal side of it I was worried about. Live recordings are a bit of a grey area and I don't know how customs / shipping companies treat such things.

madmusician_uk Apr 13th 2009 5:58 pm

I'm afraid I know very little about the legal side of things, but you could put it all on an encrpyted external harddrive. Unlike in the UK, US law does NOT require you to hand over encryption keys.

Ringside Apr 13th 2009 6:08 pm

Hello,

I just don't think I'll have time to go through everything backing up so I think I'll just risk it and ship em with our other possessions. Maybe keep the real valuable ones on me.

That raises another question. I've sold off my pc and just kept the hard drive. I want this to remain safe so was going to travel with it in my hand luggage. Will this raise suspicion? Seems odd traveling with a HDD. maybe not if I had a laptop with me but a hard drive on it's own seems odd. Maybe I'm paranoid!

I could use truecrypt on it first I suppose.

Don't get me wrong I've nothing to hide. I'm first to admit I have a few DivX films and mp3s on there but it's my family photo's and such that I don't want to risk.

Bluegrass Lass Apr 13th 2009 6:14 pm

I'm pretty sure my husband travelled back with a HDD. I don't think he was given any trouble even though the kept in his hand luggage (several years ago). Perhaps it would be best to put that in your checked luggage, surrounded by clothing for cushioning, if you're worried it would give you issues getting on the plane.

anotherlimey Apr 13th 2009 6:24 pm

I doubt they'll care to be honest, unless they thought you were going to sell them on.

madmusician_uk Apr 13th 2009 6:26 pm

You should be ok bringing in a HDD. I had 5 of 'em in my luggage when I came in, and had no problems at all. I encrpyted most of them, just because I'm a paranoid bugger, but they didn't cause me any hassle.

meauxna Apr 13th 2009 6:34 pm

Originally Posted by madmusician_uk (Post 7476565)
I'm afraid I know very little about the legal side of things, but you could put it all on an encrpyted external harddrive. Unlike in the UK, US law does NOT require you to hand over encryption keys.

While that may be true, a CBP agent also doesn't have to admit anyone other than a US citizen.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...on&btnG=Search

Originally Posted by Ringside (Post 7476608)
That raises another question. I've sold off my pc and just kept the hard drive. I want this to remain safe so was going to travel with it in my hand luggage. Will this raise suspicion? Seems odd traveling with a HDD. maybe not if I had a laptop with me but a hard drive on it's own seems odd. Maybe I'm paranoid!

You should read some of the links from the first page of that search also.

I traveled back & forth with my HDD several times and never had any questions about it. This was post 2001, but was several years ago.

http://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2008/05...arches-while-t

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...op-search.html

http://www.dhs.gov/journal/leadershi...-searches.html

( U.S. Customs and Border Protection Policy Regarding Border Search of Information (pdf - 161 KB.) )
( Circuit Court Ruling )

artisanvip Apr 13th 2009 6:39 pm

my parents took their harddrive last year with no problems whatsoever :thumbsup: