British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Shipping Possessions from UK to US - International Removals (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/shipping-possessions-uk-us-international-removals-926468/)

OldWindsor Jul 16th 2019 4:45 pm

Shipping Possessions from UK to US - International Removals

Hi there,

Looking for any recommendations / advice for a move for our house contents from UK to New Jersey.

Considering 20 ft v 40ft containers and trying to ascertain what makes a good quote? Anyone done it recently and happy to share the kind of costs they were quoted?

Thanks,

cazzababes Jul 17th 2019 9:22 pm

Re: Shipping Possessions from UK to US - International Removals

Hi,

Shipping is extortionate. Just been quoted 5.5k for a 20ft container from London to Austin. I havent shopped around as yet, but the majority of our stuff is not worth taking at that cost. Will sell and buy again. Only taking items that cannot be replaced.

Winston_the_Great_Dane Jul 18th 2019 1:41 am

Originally Posted by cazzababes (Post 12711674)
Hi,

Shipping is extortionate. Just been quoted 5.5k for a 20ft container from London to Austin. I havent shopped around as yet, but the majority of our stuff is not worth taking at that cost. Will sell and buy again. Only taking items that cannot be replaced.

£5.5k to Austin is pretty good value; I paid similar to Ohio.

Contact 3-4 moving companies for a quote. Their estimator should be able to fairly accurately gauge your volume and price accordingly. I had 2 quotes within £50 of each other, but chose the local mover.

Be prepared for the inevitable 'handling' charges imposed by their US counterpart. No lee way on this and your stuff is effectively held to ransom. Cost me $200 to get my stuff delivered.

Good luck

hutchison Jul 18th 2019 12:30 pm

I paid 4752 for 20ft. Anglo pacificin mid 2017. beware, the service can stink, we lost some items and had some minor breakages, the marine insurance is not worth it unless your china items are expensive.
work out your cost per square foot, that can help you identify what price per item your paying for large items.
i.e, 5000/1360 = 3.67 a sqft for a 20' container. a wooden kitchen chair may take 6-8sq ft = 22-29 pounds.

good furniture IS expensive here.

Shark013 Jul 19th 2019 1:34 am

We used relouk excellent service came to our home wrapped packed and shipped the lot, at a good price too, took 6 weeks door to door U.K.- Orlando no hidden fees on receiving in Orlando either ! all fees paid in U.K. on day of collection. Was dreading unwrapping our glass furniture and mirrors but to our surprise not one of our items was damaged. Will use them again on our return to U.K.