Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Shipping Possessions from Australia to the US

Shipping Possessions from Australia to the US

Old Mar 11th 2001, 10:05 am
Ken Ray

For those who have moved from Australia to the US, any advice on how to get my personal
possessions (books, old photos, records and CD's) to the US? There is not a large volume
of stuff, but things that I don't want to get damaged. There may be 4 or 5 cardboard
packing boxes in quantity - but being books and stuff, they may weigh more than if they
were clothes or other things.

I am not worried how long it takes - three months is fine. What needs to be done as far as
a customs declaration is required?

Thanks in Advance. Ken

Old Mar 13th 2001, 11:10 pm
Shoe

Hi

I recently movee here from Australia. I explored many avenues for shipping
belongings. I to, had things such as cd's and books. I have two
suggestions for you.

1. Australia Post will ship 20 kg boxes for quite a reasonable price - about
$200 give or take, by sea. They charge by the kilo up to but not over 20 kgs,
taking up to 3-4 months to arrive

2. FedEx have 25kgs boxes for about $230 odd - taking 3 days to get there. They
drop of a box, you pack it, fill in some forms and ring them when it is ready
to be picked up. I yused both methods and would relaly recommend FEDEX!!!!

Karen

On Sun, 11 Mar 2001 22:05:42 +1100, "Ken Ray" <[email protected]> wrote:

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Old Mar 14th 2001, 7:25 pm
Steve

[usenetquote2]>>For those who have moved from Australia to the US, any advice on how to get my[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>>personal possessions (books, old photos, records and CD's) to the US? There is[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>>not a large volume of stuff, but things that I don't want to get damaged.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>>There may be 4 or 5 cardboard packing boxes in quantity - but being books and[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>>stuff, they may weigh more than if they were clothes or other things.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>>[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>>I am not worried how long it takes - three months is fine. What needs to be[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>>done as far as a customs declaration is required?[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>>[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>>Thanks in Advance. Ken[/usenetquote2]
    >

Old Mar 15th 2001, 9:51 am
Kelly Daken

I have been making enquiries about the same thing, and have rang most of the shipping
companies now. The best price I have found is $4.05 per kg and a $45 paperwork
(customs etc) Fee. Which is way down from the max price I found of nearly $15/kg.
This is if you pack yourself and deliver to the shipping company and pick-up from a
US airport. This price is actually for Adelaide to San Francisco from a national
company. I rang to check if it was a fairly accurate price nationally throughout
Australia and was told that the price might vary 5-10 cents per kg but it is a
national price. Here are the details for the shipping company: ADM Transport Phone
(08) 8353 2033 (Adelaide) email: [email protected] or he is changing the
email in a few weeks to: [email protected] Hope this is of some help Kelly

>
[usenetquote2]> >Hi[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> >[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> >I recently movee here from Australia. I explored many avenues for shipping[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> >belongings. I to, had things such as cd's and books. I have two suggestions[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> >for you.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> >1. Australia Post will ship 20 kg boxes for quite a reasonable price - about $200[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > give or take, by sea. They charge by the kilo up to but not over 20 kgs, taking[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > up to 3-4 months to arrive[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> >2. FedEx have 25kgs boxes for about $230 odd - taking 3 days to get there. They[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > drop of a box, you pack it, fill in some forms and ring them when it is ready[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > to be picked up. I yused both methods and would relaly recommend FEDEX!!!![/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> >Karen[/usenetquote2]
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
[usenetquote2]> >On Sun, 11 Mar 2001 22:05:42 +1100, "Ken Ray" <[email protected]> wrote:[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> >>For those who have moved from Australia to the US, any advice on how to[/usenetquote2]
get
[usenetquote2]> >>my personal possessions (books, old photos, records and CD's) to the US? There is[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> >>not a large volume of stuff, but things that I don't want to[/usenetquote2]
get
[usenetquote2]> >>damaged. There may be 4 or 5 cardboard packing boxes in quantity - but being[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> >>books and stuff, they may weigh more than if they were clothes or other things.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> >>[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> >>I am not worried how long it takes - three months is fine. What needs[/usenetquote2]
to be
[usenetquote2]> >>done as far as a customs declaration is required?[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> >>Thanks in Advance. Ken[/usenetquote2]
    >

Old Mar 15th 2001, 2:08 pm
Soraya

(Just for the records)

I can tell you that it is the same price from Brazil to US. $ 4 - Kg $45 - paperwork
But they pack for us and pick-up at your place. The thing is I have to pick-up from a
US airport.

>
the
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
was
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

[usenetquote2]> > >Hi[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > >[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > >I recently movee here from Australia. I explored many avenues for shipping[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > >belongings. I to, had things such as cd's and books. I have two suggestions[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > >for you.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > >1. Australia Post will ship 20 kg boxes for quite a reasonable price - about[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > $200 give or take, by sea. They charge by the kilo up to but not over 20 kgs,[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > taking up to 3-4 months to arrive[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > >2. FedEx have 25kgs boxes for about $230 odd - taking 3 days to get there. They[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > drop of a box, you pack it, fill in some forms and ring them when it is ready[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > to be picked up. I yused both methods and would relaly recommend FEDEX!!!![/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > >Karen[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > I have started making enquiries about moving my stuff to the US. I haven't gone[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > into it fully yet because I still have a long way to go to get there.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > But I did ring a shipping company and was told that it would cost $500 for one[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > cubic metre of goods. And a cubic metre is bigger than you think.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > Good luck[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > Steve[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > >On Sun, 11 Mar 2001 22:05:42 +1100, "Ken Ray" <[email protected]> wrote:[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > >>For those who have moved from Australia to the US, any advice on how[/usenetquote2]
to
    >
[usenetquote2]> > >>my personal possessions (books, old photos, records and CD's) to the[/usenetquote2]
US?
[usenetquote2]> > >>There is not a large volume of stuff, but things that I don't want to[/usenetquote2]
    >
[usenetquote2]> > >>damaged. There may be 4 or 5 cardboard packing boxes in quantity -[/usenetquote2]
but
[usenetquote2]> > >>being books and stuff, they may weigh more than if they were clothes[/usenetquote2]
or
[usenetquote2]> > >>other things.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > >>[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > >>I am not worried how long it takes - three months is fine. What needs[/usenetquote2]
    >
[usenetquote2]> > >>done as far as a customs declaration is required?[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > >>Thanks in Advance. Ken[/usenetquote2]
    >
    >