Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Shipping pets Europe to Texas

Shipping pets Europe to Texas

Old Sep 15th 2012, 6:11 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Shipping pets Europe to Texas

Originally Posted by supercarrie
The airlines are quite clear on what is allowed and isn't allowed; to answer both your points relating to that, you most certainly can control your environment. If you don't want to go on an airline that allows this.....er, don't go on an airline that allows this?

You have no concern with cat faeces and/or hygiene from my side, I can assure you. I cannot speak for others.

What's interesting is that the liklihood of the cats needing to urinate/defecate is very low due to the fact you don't feed them for a certain period before travel, which means they do not need to go. Perhaps this should be recommended for human babies?
Sorry but all three of your arguments are very weak at best.
Old Sep 15th 2012, 6:31 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

The only animals I've ever seen in the cabin were lap dogs in a carrier on internal flights, they got lots of dirty looks from passengers near them when the dogs got a little vocal, never seen any on an international flight, way to long to be cooped up with babies and toddlers let alone pets belonging to anyone else.
You could have some by sea on the QM2 and then on an internal flight, that would have been better than 12 or more hours cooped up in a cabin.
Old Sep 15th 2012, 6:43 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills

You could have some by sea on the QM2 and then on an internal flight, that would have been better than 12 or more hours cooped up in a cabin.
Exactly.
Old Sep 15th 2012, 7:25 pm
The worse half of Weeze

Mr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond repute

I've seen a dog being walked up the aisles in business internationally. If the rules allow it, then I am ok with it.
Old Sep 15th 2012, 7:29 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mr Weeze
I've seen a dog being walked up the aisles in business internationally. If the rules allow it, then I am ok with it.
Are you sure it wasn't an assistance dog?
Old Sep 15th 2012, 7:33 pm
The worse half of Weeze

Mr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Are you sure it wasn't an assistance dog?
Yes, unless 6lb handbag dogs with diamanté collars are doing that now. That was a 10 hr flight.
Old Sep 15th 2012, 7:35 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mr Weeze
Yes, unless 6lb handbag dogs with diamanté collars are doing that now. That was a 10 hr flight.
It helps the owner act like a total twit with it's diamond collar.
Old Sep 15th 2012, 7:38 pm
The worse half of Weeze

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
It helps the owner act like a total twit with it's diamond collar.
I believe she was a 50something Dutch lady. It was generally amusing the passengers on the upper deck. Not something I had ever seen flying before.
Old Sep 15th 2012, 7:45 pm
BE Irregular

RICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond repute

From a number of threads on the subject, it seems Lufthansa is the only one allowing pets in the cabin. I guess either they cornered the market, or they will soon stop it too.

One of my cats is an orphan, who's owner returned to Germany and couldn't/wouldn't take him, so I adopted him. If I was to go back to UK, I think I would prefer to find good homes here rather than haul them, cabin or cargo.
Old Sep 15th 2012, 7:46 pm
Forum Regular

Egon has much to be proud ofEgon has much to be proud ofEgon has much to be proud ofEgon has much to be proud ofEgon has much to be proud ofEgon has much to be proud ofEgon has much to be proud ofEgon has much to be proud ofEgon has much to be proud ofEgon has much to be proud ofEgon has much to be proud of

What's interesting is that the liklihood of the cats needing to urinate/defecate is very low due to the fact you don't feed them for a certain period before travel, which means they do not need to go. Perhaps this should be recommended for human babies?
...is that even meant to be a point? I'm quite amazed you even typed that.
Old Sep 15th 2012, 7:51 pm
The worse half of Weeze

Originally Posted by RICH
From a number of threads on the subject, it seems Lufthansa is the only one allowing pets in the cabin. I guess either they cornered the market, or they will soon stop it too.

One of my cats is an orphan, who's owner returned to Germany and couldn't/wouldn't take him, so I adopted him. If I was to go back to UK, I think I would prefer to find good homes here rather than haul them, cabin or cargo.
KLM and Air France do too.
Old Sep 15th 2012, 8:16 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

In terms of allergies, I don't agree that is a reason not to take them. I could have hayfever but I'm not about to demand all grass is removed from public places. Sometimes you just have to put up and shut up.
You're entitled to your beliefs... however bizarre they might be. People in a confined space do not have the freedom to choose their environment, as you so myopically suggest.

Ian
Old Sep 15th 2012, 8:32 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

The text under your name is very appropriate. Luckily, I am on the side of my vet and not you. I most certainly do not want to change my plans - they are as they are for a very specific reason and that is because I want them that way!

If you clean up your cat badly or inappropriately this statement would be accurate. However, in this case it is inaccurate as the hygiene will be to a standard probably higher than many humans. I'll point out that it may well be disgusting to many to hear that babies get cleaned up in the toilet, this is no different I'm afraid.

In terms of allergies, I don't agree that is a reason not to take them. I could have hayfever but I'm not about to demand all grass is removed from public places. Sometimes you just have to put up and shut up. (on a side note I seriously doubt anyone will be affected to the degree you are talking about - however if you can provide some statistics on air circulation in typical planes, volume of hair shed per hour by cats, and percentage of the population affected by cat hair allergies, then I will be willing to discuss. Otherwise it's just an opinion and each individual will always believe themselves right)
I don't know whether to laugh or cry at your comments...seriously.
Old Sep 15th 2012, 8:39 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by RICH

You certainly can't transport pets in the cabin when flying to the UK...unless it is an assistance animal. You must use a designated airline...on a designated route specified by DEFRA.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Sep 15th 2012 at 8:46 pm.
Old Sep 15th 2012, 8:45 pm
Just Joined

supercarrie is an unknown quantity at this point

There's a few comments which don't really make any point other than to say they don't like it (again). Seriously, if someone has already said what you're saying there is little point in repeating it!

Anyway clearly this is a divisive subject. Fact of the matter is, our cats are important to us, they are like children, and they'll get treated (and compared) as such! So for any response you give please consider whether you would apply that equally to a human child. All points I've made are valid and true whether you like them or not (note: considering them weak is a fairly poor response especially considering no counter-argument). I would add that I would probably be annoyed at a misbehaving cat in the cabin in the same way I would a misbehaving child.

I'm not going to change anyone's opinions and others aren't going to change mine, so I'm going to step back and let those who choose to rant, rant.

One last point: I would have preferred to use the QM2 and possibly then pet airways from east to west coast (note: we're going to the west coast). Unfortunately the QM2 is booked up for approximately 1 year and we were not quick enough to get any suitable slot.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.