British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Shipping pets Europe to Texas (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/shipping-pets-europe-texas-770878/)

Ailidh Sep 7th 2012 4:14 pm

Shipping pets Europe to Texas

Hello, We'll be moving with 2 dogs (1 enormous + 1 medium-sized) + 2 cats. I got a quote from a shipping agent. They would drive the pets from Switzerland to Frankfurt, then put them on the Frankfurt-Houston flight (they would have to spend a night in Frankfurt). They want CHF 13,000 (about $14,000). Anybody shipped pets - does this sound normal??

Jerseygirl Sep 7th 2012 5:04 pm

Re: Shipping pets Europe to Texas

Loads of threads on shipping pets to the US on this forum...if you use BE's search engine you should be able to find them easy enough. If not give me a shout and I will help you. Most are from the UK...so I imagine they will be less.

Have you only had 1 quote? It's best to get at least 3. Does the price include the crate?

Ailidh Sep 7th 2012 5:39 pm

Hi, Yeah it includes renting crates - seems to me it's exorbitant though! I'll do a search.

Weeze Sep 7th 2012 5:48 pm

In your other thread you were researching doing it yourself;
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=765226

Did it not work out?

Jerseygirl Sep 7th 2012 6:09 pm

Originally Posted by Ailidh (Post 10269255)
Hi, Yeah it includes renting crates - seems to me it's exorbitant though! I'll do a search.

and do get more than 1 quote. TBH transporting 2 dogs (1 a deerhound) and a cat from Switzerland to Germany...then flying them to Houston...including the cost of crates doesn't sound that unreasonable to me. I would expect it costs an arm and a leg to transport a dog the size of a small horse.

Ryan NI Sep 7th 2012 8:34 pm

I got a quote for one cat from Dublin to Frankfurt (stay night) then onto San Fran for €540

Bob Sep 7th 2012 8:40 pm

Doesn't sound that bad, if it's a big dog like that and with a crate.

When you shipping them? Might be limited on the type of flights if still in the summer months, which might also be affecting the cost.

Have you found housing that'll accept multiple animals, especially a big dog? That would be the next big and expensive task.

Ailidh Sep 7th 2012 10:21 pm

We bought a house with a big yard last autumn and have had a 6 foot fence put around the yard to discourage coyotes.

We hope to move just before Christmas so it won't be too hot.

This was my first attempt at getting a quote. It seems ridiculous to transport the animals by truck to Frankfurt and maybe more stressful than a flight. To get to Texas from Switzerland we have to go through Paris (which I don't want to do - can't stand and don't trust Air France) - Heathrow, Amsterdam or Frankfurt. T tried to find freighters we could travel with pets on - impossible. $14000 was what I was hoping would be the max price for moving our furniture - guess that will be the next shock!

I'll try the airlines again but they have been unhelpful so far.

Mr Weeze Sep 7th 2012 11:51 pm

I do remember KLM had a maximum size they would take. I think your dog will be much bigger than that, based on the IATA crate requirements. I can't comment on other airlines though. Shipping from Aberdeen via Schipol was something like 500 EUR including overnight in Schiphol for the dog. The animal transit centre could accommodate horses, so that shouldn't be an issue. You may have to use a shipping firm owing to size though. We were quoted around 1200 - 1400 GBP by shipping firms. They built the crate to measure. We ended up just buying one online for about 100 GBP.

Ailidh Sep 8th 2012 8:20 am

Thanks! That sounds reasonable... paying $14K for a couple of dogs and cats - the business class tickets for them would be cheaper!!

Ailidh Sep 11th 2012 9:59 am

Well, I finally got another quote from Lufthansa. The dogs and cats could fly with us (cats in the cabin, dogs in the hold) and for the Geneva-Frankfurt-Houston flights it would cost Euro 300 for the big dog, Euro 150 for the smaller one and Euro 70 for each cat.. BIG improvement on $14K!

ian-mstm Sep 11th 2012 1:16 pm

Originally Posted by Ailidh (Post 10274817)
The dogs and cats could fly with us (cats in the cabin, dogs in the hold)...

Please consider not putting the cats in the cabin. I ask on behalf of those who have severe allergies to cats - and the numbers grow every day.

Ian

Weeze Sep 11th 2012 2:53 pm

Originally Posted by Ailidh (Post 10274817)
Well, I finally got another quote from Lufthansa. The dogs and cats could fly with us (cats in the cabin, dogs in the hold) and for the Geneva-Frankfurt-Houston flights it would cost Euro 300 for the big dog, Euro 150 for the smaller one and Euro 70 for each cat.. BIG improvement on $14K!

That does sound better. Possibly an add question, but have you checked your deed restrictions for you house? We have a number of pets limit in ours.

Ailidh Sep 11th 2012 4:01 pm

Originally Posted by Weeze (Post 10275331)
That does sound better. Possibly an add question, but have you checked your deed restrictions for you house? We have a number of pets limit in ours.

Hi - there's an HOA and it's a gated community but apparently there are no restrictions on number of dogs BUT you aren't allowed to let cats go outside! We have 1/2 acre so the dogs will have a little elbow room but the cats will be converted to indoor cats.

Weeze Sep 11th 2012 7:08 pm

That's good then. I think we are restricted to 2 pets per household.