Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Shipping pets

Shipping pets

Old Aug 31st 2014, 3:50 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Shipping pets

Mine could have problems with the heat, but not the cold, but sounds like this guy has a variety.
Old Aug 31st 2014, 6:40 pm
Just Joined

Mick McCormack is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
You only have a visitors visa. It does not allow you to live or work in the US (even remotely via the internet). Bringing a dog with you looks like you are trying to live here from the Immigration Officers point if view. Just be aware of some of the questions you may be asked when entering the US.
I know, we had five months out there last year. I have an independent income Jerseygirl. Around $2800 a month we also have onward travel documents. Thanks for the advice though it is appreciated
Old Sep 3rd 2014, 2:19 pm
Forum Regular

Kevrev is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
What are you going to do with 10 dogs when you get here? Unless you own property and the local laws allow you to keep 10 dogs you are going to run into problems.
This is the sort of place i am aiming for 575 acres in Pershing County at Grass Valley Road, Sheep Ranch Canyon, 89445, Winnemucca, Nevada
Plenty of room for the dogs

Plonk one of these on it Home Page

Drill a well............
Old Sep 3rd 2014, 2:37 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kevrev
This is the sort of place i am aiming for 575 acres in Pershing County at Grass Valley Road, Sheep Ranch Canyon, 89445, Winnemucca, Nevada

Drill a well............
I was thinking what you would do with them when you initially move there. Most people take a rental for a while until they familiarize themselves with the area.
Old Sep 3rd 2014, 2:59 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kevrev

Drill a well............
You realise, I presume, that that land is a mountainous desert and that drilling a well there might cost $20,000 or more, if it is even possible? My home has a well, about 200ft deep, and drilling a replacement would cost me $6,000-$8,000.

Then there's not going to be mains power, so budget $10,000 +/- to buy and install a generator.

And then, given that that location is a long way from everywhere, how are you planning on making a living?

Last edited by Pulaski; Sep 3rd 2014 at 3:08 pm.
Old Sep 3rd 2014, 3:05 pm
Forum Regular

Kevrev is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Pulaski
You realise, I presume, that that land is a mountainous desert and that drilling a well there might cost $20,000 or more, if it is even possible? My home has a well, about 200ft deep, and drilling a replacement would cost me $6,000-8,000.

Then there's not going to be mains power, so budget $10,000 +/- to buy and install a generator.
Yup i do. Actually i have a friend in the area who said i could expect the cost of a well drilling to be near on 30k :O

Thats not the one il be buying, just an example of the sort of place i am looking at. I wont be doing anything for a year or two as i have a lot of saving to do and visas to arrange etc
Old Sep 3rd 2014, 3:45 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

I was looking into a new well, we have had a drought but now it has rained seemingly all year, I think we will be OK.

PV may be the way to go for electricity. With a decent battery bank.