British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Shipping PC from UK To US (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/shipping-pc-uk-us-927878/)

ParagonGreeny Sep 13th 2019 1:42 pm

Shipping PC from UK To US

I have my Interview in just a few weeks and im looking at how much the final move will cost. i have a gaming PC that i would like to ship along with the accessories, monitor, keyboard and mouse etc. and probably a few other small items in, no furniture at all. i will buy a new desk and chair when i am over there. the PC is around 60cm length, 50cm height and 25cm width plus need a little extra space for the monitor and other bits as i said. hard for me to get the weight of whats needed right now.

My first thought was to buy a wooden crate and ship with UPS but just wanted advice.

TexanScot Sep 13th 2019 3:25 pm

Re: Shipping PC from UK To US

Why not just sell the components on eBay (minus your SSDs) and buy a new PC when you get here?

It would be a good opportunity to upgrade, versus the time and expense of shipping it.

dj6372 Sep 13th 2019 4:07 pm

I put mine in hold luggage wrapped in bubble wrap and paid £50 for the extra suitcase!!

petitefrancaise Sep 13th 2019 5:53 pm

Originally Posted by TexanScot (Post 12735054)
Why not just sell the components on eBay (minus your SSDs) and buy a new PC when you get here?

It would be a good opportunity to upgrade, versus the time and expense of shipping it.

My son built his using components from Fry's electronics... he had a load of fun doing it and it was way cheaper than buying a readymade one.

tht Sep 13th 2019 6:20 pm

Just remember to flip the little switch in the PSU.. although UK to US probably won’t be as bad...many years ago my company sent 3 PC’s from US to UK.... was set to 110v and PSU blew each time we plugged it in to 220v, took “blowing up” 2 to figure it out..

steveq Sep 13th 2019 10:53 pm

Originally Posted by tht (Post 12735119)
Just remember to flip the little switch in the PSU.. although UK to US probably won’t be as bad...many years ago my company sent 3 PC’s from US to UK.... was set to 110v and PSU blew each time we plugged it in to 220v, took “blowing up” 2 to figure it out..

Thankfully most modern PCs will autoswitch - but its worth checking.....

ParagonGreeny Sep 13th 2019 11:16 pm

oh thats good to know thank you, i did wonder about the power but hadn't looked into it yet.

ParagonGreeny Sep 13th 2019 11:17 pm

Mine is one i have built. it's very rewarding when you build your own PC

mproudfoot Sep 16th 2019 4:04 pm

When we moved from Scotland to Ohio in 2016, we went out before the H1B started to look at apartments etc, and on that trip, Mrs P and I took three suitcases each - i took my entire PC in one, and the 27" monitor in another. However, last month, when we moved back to Scotland, I didn;t want to go down that route, so I got rid of the case and sold my monitor, then took the motherboard (mini ITX with CPU and ram in it), the GPU (too expensive to easily replace), the hdd & ssd, the PSU, and the heatsink/fans and wrapped them individually in bubble wrap and put them in various suitcases. Then I just bought a new monitor, case, and UK keyboard when we got back home.

excpomea Sep 23rd 2019 3:58 pm

As mentioned, just take a couple of reusable parts,
motherboard, GPU and hard drives, if Up to date.
if not then sell it and buy newer updated version.

shiversaint Sep 26th 2019 7:42 pm

Originally Posted by mproudfoot (Post 12736138)
When we moved from Scotland to Ohio in 2016, we went out before the H1B started to look at apartments etc, and on that trip, Mrs P and I took three suitcases each - i took my entire PC in one, and the 27" monitor in another. However, last month, when we moved back to Scotland, I didn;t want to go down that route, so I got rid of the case and sold my monitor, then took the motherboard (mini ITX with CPU and ram in it), the GPU (too expensive to easily replace), the hdd & ssd, the PSU, and the heatsink/fans and wrapped them individually in bubble wrap and put them in various suitcases. Then I just bought a new monitor, case, and UK keyboard when we got back home.

This is what I did on the move over. Case and PSU repurchased. It's a pretty small package without those two bits.

If you still have your motherboard box, you can do a cutout for your heatsink and then that gives you some pretty good well formed protection for the core components.

REMEMBER anti static bags - do not just wrap the naked parts in bubble wrap as you have a high chance of having some static electricity involved and wrecking everything.

Harveyspecter Sep 30th 2019 2:01 pm

Try https://www.transglobalexpress.co.uk/

I've used them a few times to ship some gearboxes out there (a lot heaver than a PC) and it came to about $500. It's based primarily on weight as they are air freighted so a PC setup would be a fraction of that. Door to door (midwest) was about 4 days.