Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Shipping and Packing Tips

Shipping and Packing Tips

Old Sep 13th 2012, 7:02 am
Forum Regular

Location: Enniskillen soon to be Clovis yes Clovis and not Fresno I repeat not Fresno!!!
Ryan NI will become famous soon enoughRyan NI will become famous soon enough
Default Shipping and Packing Tips

We're looking to get our stuff shipped in the next couple of weeks, just really personal belongings like clothes, crockery, toys etc. An advisor is coming around today to see what we have and give us a quote.

So has anyone any good tips that we can do to get it reduce down in size. We are using vacuum bags etc for the clothes but other tips would be great.

It takes 12 weeks or so to ship but there is stuff we really need now and when we arrive due to having a young baby. What's the best way around this?

Finally our youngest will be be about 3 months when we fly out, so we will need his pram, car seat etc. We have a quinny buzz which is quite bulky. Will we be able to check it onto the flight and have it available at each stop? Does it depend on airline? Also he will be in our lap ie won't have his own seat, but we will need the car seat on the other side. Can we check it to go the whole way through?

Ta in advance
Old Sep 13th 2012, 11:53 am
BE Forum Addict

Brat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Shipping and Packing Tips

Originally Posted by Ryan NI
We're looking to get our stuff shipped in the next couple of weeks, just really personal belongings like clothes, crockery, toys etc. An advisor is coming around today to see what we have and give us a quote.

So has anyone any good tips that we can do to get it reduce down in size. We are using vacuum bags etc for the clothes but other tips would be great.

It takes 12 weeks or so to ship but there is stuff we really need now and when we arrive due to having a young baby. What's the best way around this?

Finally our youngest will be be about 3 months when we fly out, so we will need his pram, car seat etc. We have a quinny buzz which is quite bulky. Will we be able to check it onto the flight and have it available at each stop? Does it depend on airline? Also he will be in our lap ie won't have his own seat, but we will need the car seat on the other side. Can we check it to go the whole way through?

Ta in advance
We took extra baggage with us when we initially came over. We are a family of 5 and checked in 10 bags, I think each bag was an extra 50 british pounds at the time, if I remember correctly. I crammed as much stuff as I could into those cases, believe me, 12 weeks seems much longer once you arrive.....

I would think you'd be able to check the car seat in and the pram. It's so long since my kids were that small, that someone else might be able to confirm that, but why not check with the airline, once you've decided on your flights, and ask them what you can check in to go all the way through, and if it is extra for any particular items.

Good luck with the move, exciting times ahead for you all
Old Sep 13th 2012, 1:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

joto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond repute

Get a front carrier for the baby just in case the car seat and pram don't come through when you expect them to. Pack the clothes you won't be needing, because of the seasons, into what the movers will be taking.
Old Sep 13th 2012, 1:29 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Ta in advance
If you have anything you need before your shipped belongings arrive you could ship them separately. Takes about a week...http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Shipping_Via_Airfreight
Old Sep 13th 2012, 1:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

GeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond repute

Having a stroller available at an intermediate stop really seems to be hit and miss. Sometimes we've had it, sometimes not. What really annoys me is where you gate check at the origin and then find that the stroller gets delivered with the regular baggage to the baggage belt after customs and immigration, rather than back to the aircraft door on arrival, so you have to wait sans stroller for C&I with a wriggling baby/toddler.

The car seat will almost certainly go all the way through.

However, if your intermediate stop is in the US then you will clear customs and immigration at your first airport in the US. This means you have to take all your baggage after customs and re-check them for the next flight. Easy enough, just a few steps from the baggage hall you chuck it back on another belt, but something to be aware of.
Old Sep 13th 2012, 3:05 pm

Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond repute

Baby carrier! Definately. It's a pain, but it makes it so much easier to get to the flight, or on your stopover, of when the buggy is only avaliable with the baggage etc. You can fall asleep then with the strapped to you on the flight for a bit too. Not sure what the weight limit is on a sky cot, but check with your airline. If you can get on they are great. Priority is given to families in the sky cot row, so if need be, they can move folk for you. Ask at check in if there is a skycot avaliable whilst pointing cute baby at them.
Generally you can take the buggy all the way to the gate and then they will hand it to you as you get off the plane for your stops. We always take to bit of rope to fasten ours with to help prevent it being broken. Car seat, you can check it in with luggage to go all the way through. It's worth paying for the wrapping at the airport as they are liable to get damaged.
We packed a case of clothes and toys so we new we had things straight away. Anything you ship baby clothes wise you might as well give away as it won't fit!
Old Sep 13th 2012, 7:31 pm
Forum Regular

Location: Enniskillen soon to be Clovis yes Clovis and not Fresno I repeat not Fresno!!!
Ryan NI will become famous soon enoughRyan NI will become famous soon enough

Thanks so much for the replies.

@ Brat1 yeah I think we'll have at least 2 extra cases on the flight and will try to pack them accordingly to what we'll need when we 1st get there.

@ Joto & Weeze we have a baby carrier, which was a life saver the last time we flew when our eldest was just 8 months. Frees you up quite a bit and takes the strain of the arms! I've also reserved the bulkhead area so we can get the skycot/basinet, they too really help as they can free you up to eat or get some much needed kip. I will have to just check again that this request went through okay.

@ Jerseygirl thanks for that, we'll have to sit down and see what we need to keep here and then see is it worthwhile sending it by air.

@ Geoff our buggy (normal collapsible one) has always turned up for us at the aircraft door but the Quinny which although does collapse down is still rather bulky. We only have one stop which is in Heathrow so won't have to worry about the immigration til we reach San Fran.

Probably best I contact the airlines (aer lingus dub to lhr and BA lhr to sfo), hopefully they will have the same policy. Does anyone know what happens if we check extra bags etc will each airline charge for this or just the one?
Old Sep 13th 2012, 8:16 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks so much for the replies.

@ Brat1 yeah I think we'll have at least 2 extra cases on the flight and will try to pack them accordingly to what we'll need when we 1st get there.

@ Joto & Weeze we have a baby carrier, which was a life saver the last time we flew when our eldest was just 8 months. Frees you up quite a bit and takes the strain of the arms! I've also reserved the bulkhead area so we can get the skycot/basinet, they too really help as they can free you up to eat or get some much needed kip. I will have to just check again that this request went through okay.

@ Jerseygirl thanks for that, we'll have to sit down and see what we need to keep here and then see is it worthwhile sending it by air.

@ Geoff our buggy (normal collapsible one) has always turned up for us at the aircraft door but the Quinny which although does collapse down is still rather bulky. We only have one stop which is in Heathrow so won't have to worry about the immigration til we reach San Fran.

Probably best I contact the airlines (aer lingus dub to lhr and BA lhr to sfo), hopefully they will have the same policy. Does anyone know what happens if we check extra bags etc will each airline charge for this or just the one?
Best to check with the airline about the cost of additional luggage as it varies between airlines. The info should be on their website.
Old Sep 13th 2012, 8:37 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Babies stuff, don't bother, it'll be redundant by the time you get it...just bring a bag of clothes and toys and replace the rest when you arrive.

Bring a handful of daily cutlery such as bottle/can opener and some fork/knives/spoons in your suitcase, so you don't have to faff around and find plastic/paper stuff when you arrive, presuming you aren't staying in furnished digs until your stuff arrives.
Old Sep 13th 2012, 9:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

GeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Babies stuff, don't bother, it'll be redundant by the time you get it...just bring a bag of clothes and toys and replace the rest when you arrive.
That's a good point - you'll most likely need a new car seat for the kids as they have different rules/standards and laws here with them. UK ones don't meet US standards and vice versa. Chances of being caught? Slim to none but still.