British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Shipping over posessions... (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/shipping-over-posessions-895522/)

HairyJim Apr 17th 2017 10:56 pm

Shipping over posessions...

Hi all. New to the forum. I did read some threads, but didn't find an answer to my query yet, so thought I'd post it....

I'm looking for recommendations for moving/shipping companies from the UK to the USA. I have a whole household of stuff stored in a self storage unit in Brighton, but need to ship it all out over to Arkansas. I have found a few 'companies' online, but so far not one has come back to me with a response or email even.

Any of you had experience of this? What should I be looking for? There's no rush on getting our stuff, but I simply can't afford to keep paying the monthly fees for storing stuff in the UK any more.

Thanks in advance.

Jim.

tom169 Apr 17th 2017 11:33 pm

Re: Shipping over posessions...

Are they heirlooms? Otherwise it might be worth eBay, charity shop or a tip trip.

ian-mstm Apr 18th 2017 12:05 am

Originally Posted by HairyJim (Post 12231142)
I have a whole household of stuff stored in a self storage unit in Brighton, but need to ship it all out over to Arkansas.

My philosophy: if you haven't used it for 2 years, you don't actually need it. The exception is, of course, as tom169 suggests... if they are heirlooms.

I did read some threads, but didn't find an answer to my query yet...
I suggest you didn't search well enough. There is a handy search button near the top right of each page. I suggest you start with one of the main pages. There are a lot of threads dealing with shipping items from the UK to the US - including recommendations. You only need to look.

Ian

BEVS Apr 18th 2017 12:14 am

Hi there and a warm welcome to the wonderful world of BritishExpats.
I can't help with moving 'stuff' from the UK to the US as we emigrated to New Zealand and spent $$ with a shipper to get all our junk here.

Anyway. Welcome. I really just wanted to say I just LOVE your username. You need an avatar to match. :nod:

Lanyu Apr 18th 2017 12:29 am

Hi I used Robinsons a year and half ago they are a big company and have locations all over the UK. I wasn't that impressed with them though but they may have a better review in your part of the UK. They arrived late and left early and didn't have correct packaging for our Bikes which was really the main reason for shipping in the first place.

Unlike others I'm using most of the stuff I shipped which included 4 bikes TV, PC, Lafuma chairs and power tools. It all go her ok apart from some glass shelves for a TV stand which completely shattered due to not being packed correctly. They paid for replacements as I took out insurance.

Pulaski Apr 18th 2017 12:31 am

So everything is packed and wrapped? ..... If so it should be easy to price. I used Allfreight International, in Addlestone, but it looks like they might have closed. :(

Generally speaking, I have had almost nothing positive come from filling out any company's website form, not just moving/ shipping companies, any company, so I would phone them instead.

Twinkle0927 Apr 18th 2017 12:39 am

I used Transglobal Express and brought 31 boxes of books over. All went very well until the stuff arrived in the US and Troy Shipping took over. They are the most useless and inefficient people I've ever had to deal with. They are based in one of the Carolinas (I forget which one) and don't even realize that here in the west coast we are three hours behind. They therefore think it's perfectly acceptable to call a Seattle number at 6.30 am. If you don't respond to their emails within five minutes they send ever more aggressive chaser emails.

kirstyp Apr 18th 2017 10:03 am

hi Jim, welcome to BE.

A great place to start for shipping is to check out FIDI website for a list of FAIM certified international removal companies that serve your area to make sure whoever you're using is fully qualified, licensed and independently vetted for overseas moving.

There are lots more tips about choosing reputable removals companies and your different options over on our vendor forum for International Removals advice. Hope it helps!

Kirsty :)