Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Shipping my dog to California

Shipping my dog to California

Old Apr 27th 2011, 7:31 pm
Forum Regular

joannabanana is a name known to alljoannabanana is a name known to alljoannabanana is a name known to alljoannabanana is a name known to alljoannabanana is a name known to alljoannabanana is a name known to alljoannabanana is a name known to alljoannabanana is a name known to alljoannabanana is a name known to alljoannabanana is a name known to alljoannabanana is a name known to all
Default Shipping my dog to California

I'm getting my dogs flight booked for the end of May to fly on Continental, from Heathrow to Santa Ana, with a stopover in Newark. I've been advised by the carrier he just needs proof of his rabies booster and a health check 10 days prior to the flight. Does anyone know if there is anything else? I have the container for him, water dishes... just wondered if anyone has any extra advice. want to make it easy for my dawggy! Thanks for any advice.
Old Apr 27th 2011, 8:26 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Shipping my dog to California

You might want to get him chipped.
There are some people in the Moving back section who have moved to and from UK/US with dogs and cats, somehow just proof of a check and a rabies shot sounds too simple.
Old Apr 27th 2011, 8:36 pm
Forum Regular

joannabanana is a name known to alljoannabanana is a name known to alljoannabanana is a name known to alljoannabanana is a name known to alljoannabanana is a name known to alljoannabanana is a name known to alljoannabanana is a name known to alljoannabanana is a name known to alljoannabanana is a name known to alljoannabanana is a name known to alljoannabanana is a name known to all

Thanks, yep, I had him chipped (we used to live in the US and he is a US doggy, so the chip is US) and I agree, it does sound too simple, hence the thread. I'll query the airline in more depth tomorrow about requested documentation. We had to go through leaps and bounds to get him here to the UK, his passport was worse than the Visas for us!!
Old Apr 27th 2011, 8:39 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Thats what I thought I know you hear them having to be prepared 6 months in advance to go to UK. So now we have to wait ans see if anyone here has done it UK to US, I'm now curious
Old Apr 27th 2011, 9:37 pm
Forum Regular

Havnfun has a reputation beyond reputeHavnfun has a reputation beyond reputeHavnfun has a reputation beyond reputeHavnfun has a reputation beyond reputeHavnfun has a reputation beyond reputeHavnfun has a reputation beyond reputeHavnfun has a reputation beyond reputeHavnfun has a reputation beyond reputeHavnfun has a reputation beyond reputeHavnfun has a reputation beyond reputeHavnfun has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by joannabanana View Post
I'm getting my dogs flight booked for the end of May to fly on Continental, from Heathrow to Santa Ana, with a stopover in Newark. I've been advised by the carrier he just needs proof of his rabies booster and a health check 10 days prior to the flight. Does anyone know if there is anything else? I have the container for him, water dishes... just wondered if anyone has any extra advice. want to make it easy for my dawggy! Thanks for any advice.
Our experience was from Canada to California but for our cat all we had to provide was the proof of rabies and a health check
Old Apr 28th 2011, 12:11 am
BE Enthusiast

NatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond repute

Same for us and our cat, you might want to check the regulations for the state you're going to though to make sure they don't have any additional requirements - some do.

Don't forget that he will need heartworm preventative when you move here to prevent catching heartworm from mosquitoes - it is a nasty disease so make sure you get some heartworm tablets (usually a tablet per month) from the vet ASAP after arriving.
Old Apr 28th 2011, 11:40 am
BE Forum Addict

Brat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond repute

We shipped our Rotti from Glasgow to New York last February. We didn't do it ourselves because we had too many other things going on, but he was booked on the flight, had to have a vet check within the 10 days prior to him going on the aircraft, and had to have proof by a blood test that he was rabies free. As far as I know, that was all that was required and when he arrived at Newark, my husband went and picked him up - no hassle and the dog was none the worst for his experience - think he found the climate change more of a stress to be honest. Hope things go okay for you
Old Apr 28th 2011, 1:20 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Brat1 View Post
We shipped our Rotti from Glasgow to New York last February. We didn't do it ourselves because we had too many other things going on, but he was booked on the flight, had to have a vet check within the 10 days prior to him going on the aircraft, and had to have proof by a blood test that he was rabies free. As far as I know, that was all that was required and when he arrived at Newark, my husband went and picked him up - no hassle and the dog was none the worst for his experience - think he found the climate change more of a stress to be honest. Hope things go okay for you
Thanks so much. I've called and been told all I need is the health check and proof of rabies vaccinations. My hubby, who's in California now, is calling Santa Ana airport to triple check that this is all we need to get my pooch in the country!
Old Apr 28th 2011, 3:32 pm
Forum Regular

margaretmwilson will become famous soon enough

I took my dog from Manchester Airport to Orlando (Sanford) with Thomsonfly. We used an agent who were excellent. He had to have a check up, a copy of a blood test to say he was rabies free and a letter from the vet to say he was fit to fly and had to leave within 10 days. He was absolutely fine when we landed, no after effects, though I'm not sure if he's loving the Florida heat. I'm sure everything will go great. Good luck.
Old Apr 28th 2011, 4:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

Brat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by joannabanana View Post
Thanks so much. I've called and been told all I need is the health check and proof of rabies vaccinations. My hubby, who's in California now, is calling Santa Ana airport to triple check that this is all we need to get my pooch in the country!
Yeah, I'm sure it'll be fine and I know that our dog didn't have any after affects of being on the plane, so I'm sure everything will be fine. Have a safe journey and good luck!!!!