Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Shipping items - filling in declaration for free entry of unaccompanied items

Shipping items - filling in declaration for free entry of unaccompanied items

Old Sep 11th 2021, 10:09 am
Just Joined

somewhatvaguely is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation Shipping items - filling in declaration for free entry of unaccompanied items

Hi, I am getting my posessions shipped from the UK to US and having to fill out the US customs form. There is a section D "List of articles" section which is quite intimidating given that it seems like a lot of work to inventorize every item and give a value (some of them are like old clothes, files, etc). Some of them are knick knacks and hard to describe as well. The moving company suggested I give broad estimates like clothing (5) - $50. I will have categorized boxes like one for paperwork, one for electronics, one for bedding etc. Is it enough to just summarize each box very broadly?

Has anyone filled in one of these before? How much detail did you give? Advice much appreciated.
Old Sep 11th 2021, 4:22 pm
Turning into a PA gal!

lizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Shipping items - filling in declaration for free entry of unaccompanied item

We shipped a 20' container and a 40' container as we were moving home and work items. I labelled each box/bag/item with a reference number and a one or two word description of the contents, then did a spreadsheet with a value for each box. The description on the spreadsheet was no more detailed, so it was:

Books
Kitchenware
Clothes
Ornaments
CDs
Sewing machine
Craft materials
Hand tools
etc

And yes just a general value. At one point I thought I would need to find all the harmonised commodity codes too, but there is a general one for personal effects owned for more than twelve months which we used. I think a print out of the spreadsheet was attached to the form.

Because we self packed, loaded and shipped (using the freight forwarders our company had used for decades) I also palletised everything for easy loading and the spreadsheet was organised by pallet.

Old Sep 13th 2021, 4:32 pm
USA 2017

ivanidea has a reputation beyond reputeivanidea has a reputation beyond reputeivanidea has a reputation beyond reputeivanidea has a reputation beyond reputeivanidea has a reputation beyond reputeivanidea has a reputation beyond reputeivanidea has a reputation beyond reputeivanidea has a reputation beyond reputeivanidea has a reputation beyond reputeivanidea has a reputation beyond reputeivanidea has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Shipping items - filling in declaration for free entry of unaccompanied item

4 Years ago, I created a spreadsheet with a sheet for every box which I numbered, listing every item as I packed it with approximate value. I then had a title sheet, listing the boxes, summary of contents and value. This is the sheet I printed/emailed and gave to the shipping company, which is what they used on the customs form.

I only did the itemised list for each box for my convenience. I was not too specific on some things, such as I would have a box labelled stationery, but not list each item. It made it easier to find specific items as I needed them. Also good to have a list of all my books, CDs, and other collectibles.
Old Sep 13th 2021, 7:02 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

you only have to list items that are less than 1 year old
you have to list all the alcohol/tobacco products regardless of age.
guidance:
SECTION D – List Of Articles (second page of form) - These articles might be subject to duties, taxes and supplemental entry fees. (If additional space is required, use a separate piece of paper): List all articles which you purchased overseas and have owned for less than one year. Provide description, purchase price and date of purchase. List all alcoholic beverages, noting alcohol content and color of wine and proof of hard liquor. Show bottle size of all alcohol