Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Shipping Insurance only 1/3 of claim

Shipping Insurance only 1/3 of claim

Old Apr 6th 2011, 2:26 pm
Just Joined

londonLA is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Shipping Insurance only 1/3 of claim

I shipped my goods from UK to USA. There was damage on my furniture. The insurance company is only offering a 1/3 of the estimates that I provided. The estimates are mainly repairs on 2 pieces of furniture and replacements on broken glass items. We are talking about $1000

What do I do now? Can anyone give me some help with this.

Thanks

LondonLA

Last edited by londonLA; Apr 6th 2011 at 2:44 pm.
Old Apr 6th 2011, 2:54 pm
Bob
SUPER MODERATOR

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Shipping Insurance only 1/3 of claim

Depends what the small print says...there's always taking them to court, but it probably wouldn't be worth it.
Old Apr 6th 2011, 4:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by londonLA View Post
I shipped my goods from UK to USA. There was damage on my furniture. The insurance company is only offering a 1/3 of the estimates that I provided. The estimates are mainly repairs on 2 pieces of furniture and replacements on broken glass items. We are talking about $1000

What do I do now? Can anyone give me some help with this.

Thanks

LondonLA
Check the small print. They might be able to get away with it.

There are actually people who you can hire to negotiate with insurance companies; they take a % of the final amount. Not that you need them for this - the $ amount is too small.
Old Apr 8th 2011, 3:53 pm
Just Joined

londonLA is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the input

I have found out that I can file a complaint with the Financial Ombudsman Service - http://www.financial-ombudsman.org.u...complaints.htm

And under The Supple of goods & services act of 1982 I can state that services were not carried out with reasonable care and skill which resulted in the damage.

Does any one have experience going this route?

Thanks
Old Apr 9th 2011, 1:10 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by londonLA View Post
Thanks for the input

I have found out that I can file a complaint with the Financial Ombudsman Service - http://www.financial-ombudsman.org.u...complaints.htm

And under The Supple of goods & services act of 1982 I can state that services were not carried out with reasonable care and skill which resulted in the damage.

Does any one have experience going this route?

Thanks
Not with a shipper, but I've seen people try that with UPS. The claim went nowhere because they didn't have photos of the furniture prior to shipping.

No harm in trying though.