Reload this Page >

Shipping Insurance - 20ft Container

Shipping Insurance - 20ft Container

Old Nov 21st 2013, 10:54 am
Just Joined

Benjaminbopper is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Shipping Insurance - 20ft Container

Hi,

I was looking for some advice or recommendations. I have scanned through some of the other threads but couldn't turn up much info.

I am looking to insure our 20ft container that is full of our household goods and antiques for a shipment going from the South West UK to Charleston,South Carolina.

The shippers are offering insurance at 3-5% of value but at £2,100 based on £70k contents value it's a big chunk of cash so just trying to reduce that figure!

Many thanks.

P.s - the best quote we can get is £5400 from Pickfords having spoken with the other big 5 recommended on BE.
Old Nov 21st 2013, 11:23 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Shipping Insurance - 20ft Container

For £70k of coverage, that sounds pretty good to me. Shipping freight containers is a risky business. They can and do go overboard in storms, they get doused in sea water and could leak. Exceptionally, ships sink. Here are some examples, some of the container ship pictures are doozies!
Old Nov 21st 2013, 12:10 pm
Forum Regular

Marc_ely has a reputation beyond reputeMarc_ely has a reputation beyond reputeMarc_ely has a reputation beyond reputeMarc_ely has a reputation beyond reputeMarc_ely has a reputation beyond reputeMarc_ely has a reputation beyond reputeMarc_ely has a reputation beyond reputeMarc_ely has a reputation beyond reputeMarc_ely has a reputation beyond reputeMarc_ely has a reputation beyond reputeMarc_ely has a reputation beyond repute

We're just arranging to come over from Cambridgeshire to California.

We too found Pickfords to have the best quote - also £5400 for a 20' container.

For insurance they have two ways to calculate it.
Either an itemised list or a flat value. We've found the itemised list worked out a lot cheaper for us but we don't have many expensive things.
Old Nov 21st 2013, 12:15 pm
Just Joined

Ah, I hadn't thought about looking at it as itemized vs. flat rate, I will investigate! Thank you. It seems our prices are fairly similar on the quote which is reassuring!
Old Nov 27th 2013, 3:55 pm
Just Joined

So, quick update:

If you ship to a port, in our case our new place is within 30 miles of the port it knocked £950 off the price as I guess it saves on internal shipping costs.

Also, insurance - 3% all inclusive seems to be where it's at and all shippers are offering with Anglo Pacific coming in at £5k insured, shipped and door to door packed for a sole use 20ft container, Wiltshire to Charleston SC.

Top tip - research carefully and always get more than one quote!