Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Shipping household goods to the US

Wikiposts

Shipping household goods to the US

Old Jan 14th 2004, 1:11 am
BE Enthusiast

Buendia is a jewel in the roughBuendia is a jewel in the roughBuendia is a jewel in the roughBuendia is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Shipping household goods to the US

Originally posted by sibsie
This post makes me so very sad.
I know... it's just horrible! It sounds like the surgery went well, though...

Makes me think it's ok to pay a little extra and let the freight company lift/move/palletize/shrinkwrap. And I'll just give up the control, stay safe...
Old Jan 14th 2004, 1:18 am
The Missus

SecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Buendia
I know... it's just horrible! It sounds like the surgery went well, though...

Makes me think it's ok to pay a little extra and let the freight company lift/move/palletize/shrinkwrap. And I'll just give up the control, stay safe...
Hi, saw this and had to comment. Unfortunately the company has some issues to deal with this morning in the form of a phone call from an American fiancee' which is going to happen in just a few minutes.......

Mr. P. was assisting because even after being told time and time again, the company sent ONE man and his WIFE to move the equipment. I have copies of the booking order in which he describes the equipment in detail, including how much it weighs and advises that several men will be needed to lift it, perhaps even a forklift. The ONE man was four hours late to the site, after being sent to his parents house rather than the very explicit collection address. This company is going to have to answer to some things that happened yesterday, even though Mr. Pink understands that he incurs some level of personal responsibility for what happened. Movers are paid to move. Shippers are paid to ship.

I asked his father what he was doing moving the stuff, and his dad said to me, "Honey, he would have strapped that press onto his back and swum the Atlantic Ocean yesterday if it meant getting to you as soon as he could."

Someone's going to be getting a phone call soon.

Thanks for your well wishes everyone........now I go into "useful" mode.

Love you all,
~SG
Old Jan 14th 2004, 1:23 am
YIPPEEEEEEEEE :)

hwarang has a brilliant futurehwarang has a brilliant futurehwarang has a brilliant futurehwarang has a brilliant futurehwarang has a brilliant futurehwarang has a brilliant future

Originally posted by yorkshiregirl
We shipped all our household contents from Yorkshire to Seattle in August 2003. It was an expensive business!!!
I went through the yellow pages and got several quotes first but it still cost £4500 for a 20' container. The cheapest quote was £2700 but that was to fill the container ourselves (they are about 4' off the ground and we had, amongst other things, a piano) also, they would not insure anything for breakages if packed by us and we decided to use people who knew how to pack properly. A few firms said we needed a 40' container but when our 20' one arrived here it was by no means full. The most expensive quote was £6800!! There is an option to share conatiners but if there is a problem at customs with part of the load, your goods will be delayed as well. Our conatiner took 5 weeks to arrive.
As for packing, most firms will not insure goods which have been not been packed by them however, if you have anything which cannot be replaced it may be worth packing things yourself. The reason I say this is that the people who do the packing use tissue paper or equivalent but if you pack yourself you can invest in top quality packing materials which should prevent the items getting damaged in the first place (but obvioulsy no come back if anything is broken). You can also insure them separately. A word of caution- I packed all our things myself and packed the most fragile items first in numbered boxes. When our container was unloaded, these boxes had been packed first and were underneath everthing else and the most squashed! Luckily only 2 glasses were broken.
Finally, whether you pack things yourself or not, keep a detailed inventory of ALL your things and make sure your inventory is the same as the shippers and ask for the customs forms before everything is packed to make sure you don't pack anything which may cause a problem.
Good luck!!
Thanks for such good advice - although I don't think we can go home for a long time, we still wanted to know whether it was worth getting on with life here in Oz and shipping home everything we will once again accumulate, or just living off the bare essentials for the next 1200 years, lol (well, 7 years, 9 months and 18 days to be precise) *giggles*
Old Jan 14th 2004, 1:39 am
BE Enthusiast

Buendia is a jewel in the roughBuendia is a jewel in the roughBuendia is a jewel in the roughBuendia is a jewel in the rough

I completely agree you should pursue this!

I know it's alway my inclination to help. I even helped Joe the fix-it man when he came to the house to put in a cat flap. Helped saw the hole, helped drill for screws and everything. It's hard for some of us not to be helping when other people are working.

I'm not a lawyer, but I think what the company did was inexcusable, and they should bear some of the responsibility!

And I guess what I was trying to say in the last post is that all of us here in this shipping thread should learn from what happened to Mr. P (especially those of us that would tend to try and lift/move even when it's not necessary).

I'm thinking of you both and wishing for his speedy recovery!
Old Jan 14th 2004, 3:23 am
C.G.D.S

sibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by SecretGarden
even though Mr. Pink understands that he incurs some level of personal responsibility for what happened. Movers are paid to move.
I wouldn't mention that when you speak to anyone SG.
Old Jan 14th 2004, 5:11 am
BE Enthusiast

SirSteveUK has much to be proud ofSirSteveUK has much to be proud ofSirSteveUK has much to be proud ofSirSteveUK has much to be proud ofSirSteveUK has much to be proud ofSirSteveUK has much to be proud ofSirSteveUK has much to be proud ofSirSteveUK has much to be proud ofSirSteveUK has much to be proud ofSirSteveUK has much to be proud ofSirSteveUK has much to be proud of
Default Shipping household goods to the US

As someone who has 30 years in global shipping, would like to add my two penn'orth...

For Buendia - BAF is Bunker Adjustment Factor - a variable surcharge wich shipping lines tack on to their seafreight charges to cater for fuel price increases

If you use a REMOVALS company for a full container shipment - then they will deal direct with the shipping lines.

If you use then for a smaller shipment - packing cases, cardboard boxes etc.. then they will contact a Consolidator, an agent who will be loading a container with several shipments with the same destination. (Shipping lines used to consolidate themselves - but VERY rare nowadays).

BTW - use a removals company who is a member of the British Assoc of Removers...they are the people who negotiate the rates with the lines...but the rates are available to anyone..

If you think that you can load the boxes/cases yourself, then you should deal direct with the Consolidator...who may be listed as a Shipping/Forwarding Agent in Yellow Pages etc...

I used some cardboard toner cartridge cases - about 5x1.5x1.5 ft - and they got here to Savannah fine ( as opposed to some glasses which I took in my flight luggage - one broke !!) - did my own customs clearance - which just involved taking a packing list to the Customs Office - get a rubber stamp - and over to the depot where your cases are sitting...just take along the waybill and any paperwork from customs, pay their charges and bingo...collect your precious cargo. (Dont necessarily prepay for home delivery if there's a chance you can collect...the cost will be a disporportionate part of the total.)

Ok, so the director of the Consolidator I used is an old friend of mine....LOLOL ...but the carriage of my cases from the port at Charleston to Savannah depot was included - 5 boxes for under 350 quid...

If you aren't shipping large items of furniture, then it's unlikely you will need a container to yourself...unless you really are a collector....

BTW - it's also rare for consolidators to offer a service to any inland point in USA - except for the REALLY big places like Chicago/Detroit, etc - where there is probably enough traffic to warrant it....so your goods would be shipped to the nearest port - then moved inland "IN BOND" - via a trucker who has been licenced to move cargo inland to a Customs approved inland depot - WITHOUT Customs Clearance at the port of entry - goods to be cleared at the inland point.

I should think it would be extremely unlikely that any consolidated container would be held up because of any problem shipment you happen to be sharing the container with....

However, your consolidator SHOULD be aware that US Customs have to know whats going to be in the container BEFORE it leaves the country of origin - that doesn't mean your shipment will be delayed because of a rogue consignment - it just means that the rogue wont be loaded into the container...thats why the packing lists are very important ...most consolidators will offer a weekly departure to a specific port..and they wont upset their commercial clients by not shipping the container because of one shipment...

If you have any specific queries, send me a PM and I will try to give some advice..

Steve
Old Jan 21st 2004, 10:40 pm
Reggie Lee

Buendia <member17013@british_expats.com> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > Originally posted by Waterpony
    >
    > > Hi,
    >
    > >
    >
    > > I brought my PC as an additional luggage when I flew to the US...the
    > > cost was $100 per package but it was long ago. Although you probably
    > > know this, please note that you may need to change the power supply if
    > > the one that you have does not support 110 V...fortunately they are
    > > not that expensive...
    >
    >
    >
    > I also was planning to take my PC as luggage. I have the original box,
    > and have asked the airline about the largest allowable baggage
    > (dimensions and weight). The box fits within the requirements, so it
    > won't even be charged as excess bagagge. Which is good because my cat
    > is the excess baggage - it's a 50 euro fee (on Aerlingus); not sure
    > about other airlines.

Hi everyone just a note to share with you all, take a look at
futurekiwi.com the only website that shows you how to airfreight
anything from your country to anywhere in the world. Futurekiwi.com
take alook. thanks Reggie Lee
Oh yeah you should consolidate your household effects its the cheapest
way. You can even use your airline ticket to get a discount.

Old Jan 23rd 2004, 7:07 am
Tinker

thats helpful info
"Reggie Lee" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > Buendia <member17013@british_expats.com> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
    > > Originally posted by Waterpony
    > >
    > > > Hi,
    > >
    > > >
    > >
    > > > I brought my PC as an additional luggage when I flew to the US...the
    > > > cost was $100 per package but it was long ago. Although you probably
    > > > know this, please note that you may need to change the power supply if
    > > > the one that you have does not support 110 V...fortunately they are
    > > > not that expensive...
    > >
    > >
    > >
    > > I also was planning to take my PC as luggage. I have the original box,
    > > and have asked the airline about the largest allowable baggage
    > > (dimensions and weight). The box fits within the requirements, so it
    > > won't even be charged as excess bagagge. Which is good because my cat
    > > is the excess baggage - it's a 50 euro fee (on Aerlingus); not sure
    > > about other airlines.
    > Hi everyone just a note to share with you all, take a look at
    > futurekiwi.com the only website that shows you how to airfreight
    > anything from your country to anywhere in the world. Futurekiwi.com
    > take alook. thanks Reggie Lee
    > Oh yeah you should consolidate your household effects its the cheapest
    > way. You can even use your airline ticket to get a discount.